Looking to build in Rockport in 4-5 years. What is the process?

2,295 Views | 4 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by YouBet
busdriver88
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
May be way too early, but I am unfamiliar with the home building process. I have been told I need to start 2 years before I want to move in with locating a home designer, finding a builder, etc. Wife and I do not know what we do not know.

So, what is the process? We have some ideas on what we want home wise, and we have the lot already. I have been told to find a home designer/architect, find a builder we trust, etc. We want to find a designer and builder that are competent at building "coastal" homes, with all that entails. I plan on dying in this house, so we want to make sure we get it right.

Thanks. I know it's probably early, but as we wind down our time here in Lubbock, we enjoy thinking about the future.....

There may not be time to do the job right, but there is always time to do the job over!!
drmwvr
AG
If you need a new bulkhead and dock/lift, do that before you build your house. If I recall correctly, there is no home on you lot. If that is the case, now is the time to do that work as you will probably have to build up your site elevation to meet new flood elevation requirements. If will be much harder and expensive to do after the fact. Also, you may have wait up to a year to get a good bulkhead contractor lined up so that will give you a fun project to pass the time and spot to leave you boat. Lastly, IMHO, you will get every dollar back on the bulkhead improvement and if you wait, the work is only going to go up in cost.

We have a 49 year old house so have only remodeled so I don't have any experience with new home builders. I'd ask on the Rockport Living FB page for recommendations

Good luck!
Brush Country Ag
AG
Hardesty Builders in Rockport have a pretty good reputation.
htx97
AG
Al Johnson builds a fine home. I have also liked some done by Wells Collection.
YouBet
AG
Al Johnson built our home here. He does a good job.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.