Corona Virus Hoarding in Rockport

5,130 Views | 35 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Premium
Mark Fairchild
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Wow, lived through Harvey this is exponentially worse!!! HEB in Rockport, there is no parking, there are no carts, do not know about the contents, could not get in!!!
Gig'em, Ole Army Class of '70
lazuras_dc
AG
HEB curbside in Saratoga had a line all the way to nikos. People are certifiably insane !!
DripAG08
AG
Any intel on Port A? Taking the family down to our place on Wednesday, was hoping the IGA might've been immune to the chaos.
will.mcg
AG
No idea. Which direction will you be coming from? I would stop in every small town along the way to try & find the items I need
Premium
AG
AustinAg008 said:

Any intel on Port A? Taking the family down to our place on Wednesday, was hoping the IGA might've been immune to the chaos.

I'm heading down there soon, same question. Will be watching for an answer -
Brush Country Ag
AG
Don't know about Port A, but Rockport and Aransas Pass are still crazy . Was in both HEBs today...nuts. I would assume Port A the same. Ain't gonna fight the ferry to find out !
Mark Fairchild
AG
This morning in Rockport at 7:45 am there was a line of people with carts from the front door of our H-E-B to the gas island, approx 1/4 mi. Lot was TOTALLY full. This is after one week of both H-E-B and Wal-Mart being sold out wall to wall in a town of approx 10K folks. Someone is getting way more STUFF than the need or will ever use. It appears to me that some form of government intervention is going to have to be put in place to all a modicum of equal access to needed goods. I AM NOT a Liberal or a Demo, but we are going to need WWII structure to insure some form of equality.
will.mcg
AG
That kind of line is crazy, the gas island is a looooong way from the front doors. Yes I see you noted about 1/4 mile. He's not kidding.
CactusThomas
AG
As long as Spankys stays stocked we'll make it through.
Mark Fairchild
AG
Was in Spanky's at 35 and Maple when this older woman went into a coughing fit, nearly ran out the door, did go back to the truck and hose myself down with Lyson. So, glad their open, but they are not really all that safe!
petey88
I just spent a week in CS, left this morning headed south. The Wharton HEB wasn't crowded at all. A few empty shelfs. Rockport HEB had maybe 10 cars in the parking lot around 8pm, but I didn't stop. The Walmart was closing at 8:30.
Brush Country Ag
AG
Aransas County is really cracking down now. Don't know how to post links, but I found it on KRIStv website. Even closing boatramps. Looks like they are also hitting motels, condos that rent to tourists...like they are cutting down on visitors. Can't be good for local businesses and restaurants.
petey88
Went to Port A about noon today, shocked at the lack of activity. Beach was open but there was a sign for exercise only,...no sitting, standing camping. Very few people were out walking. Only saw three kids and one dog.

Only saw one woman out for a walk in town.

It is pretty much shut down, never seen it that dead in my life.
Potcake
AG
We were supposed to be there this past weekend. While beaches weren't closed, short-term rentals, including our vrbo, were suspended.
Poke_the_Bear
AG
Rockport had 2 Cases but now is at zero. Must be the North Korean plan for containment.

Jk, evidently it was mistake with the state health department
Buford T. Justice
AG
What is it like in Rockport now? We were down over spring break, and saw the front-end madness at HEB, and the gas stations. Aren't the parks/beaches open now?
Brush Country Ag
AG
It's still pretty locked down. No beach, restaurants take out only, public boat ramps closed.
lazuras_dc
AG
Wow beaches were packed and people everywhere and on the water today in corpus. Rock port must be doing a better job of lockdown.
Brush Country Ag
AG
Haven't heard if they lifted their ban . Think it all goes until 30th.
Premium
AG
lazuras_dc said:

Wow beaches were packed and people everywhere and on the water today in corpus. Rock port must be doing a better job of lockdown.

My wife is taking the kids down to Port A today to check on a few things at a vacation rental.

The kids, 5 and 7, just bought with theIr allowance, kites. Unfortunately flying kites on the beach won't fly in Port A so I suggested they drive over into Corpus.

This is insanity. Even Florida and California are opening beaches.
Ag In Ok
AG
Checking in on the thread - likely headed to rockport in mid May to decompress from work. What are the odds Arkansas country follows the governor in relaxing rental / vacation restrictions?
Premium
AG
I think the vacation rental owners have been a bit quiet because it isn't officially peak season, but they better come out with clear instructions on this soon or there will be a revolt. These small town mayors have the potential to devastate the industry that keeps them running, while simultaneously wrecking the finances of vacation rental owners.

We have people wanting to come down next weekend for $2K but they are going to have to wait to hear from Abbott and the Mayor. Supposedly things loosen up on April 30th, but they could easily push that back another two weeks.

What I mean by clear direction is they need to say now - on May 1st beaches, fishing, restaurants are all open. And if you want to be chicken little push it back one or two more weeks but make it a clear date so people can start booking trips.

If this runs into the summer this will wipe out the Texas coastal tourism industry.
Brush Country Ag
AG
Just now recovering from Harvey and now this. The local politicians need to factor this in to their decisions.
Premium
AG
Brush Country Ag said:

Just now recovering from Harvey and now this. The local politicians need to factor this in to their decisions.

Great point indeed.
Premium
AG
Looks like Port A orders will expire tonight at midnight and the restaurants, based on Abbott, could seat 25% starting Friday. We are opening our short term rental right away.
Ag In Ok
AG
Went ahead and booked the May trip. Ready for the fishing and relaxing. Hope paradise key is open, in addition to a few other places.
Brush Country Ag
AG
Pretty sure the restaurants will be as open as allowed....they have had their teeth kicked in after recovering from Harvey. Going down there this weekend.
Premium
AG
Just got two rentals in the last 24 hours. 3 nights this coming weekend and 7 nights starting the following Saturday. @ $400 a night, we are back in business.
petey88
Think I'll go hang out in Port Aransas, great to hear beach open.
Premium
AG
petey88 said:

Think I'll go hang out in Port Aransas, great to hear beach open.

I've got a rental if you are interested. I'll do a 10% TexAgs discount and even greater if you are able to fill week days / longer stays.

One of the top rentals in all of Port A:

https://t.vrbo.io/M2LHp55Z55

https://abnb.me/PMG5PGc055

We can avoid fees by doing off VRBO.
DripAG08
AG
How's the IGA lately in Port A? Plenty of stock available?
Premium
AG
I'll be down there tomorrow through the week so I'll try to report in.
Brush Country Ag
AG
Don't know about Pr A, but AP/ Rockport are like a holiday weekend. People have had enough...lots of boats too.
DripAG08
AG
Premium said:

I'll be down there tomorrow through the week so I'll try to report in.

Thank you sir.
Premium
AG
AustinAg008 said:

How's the IGA lately in Port A? Plenty of stock available?

Plenty of stock on everything including meat and toilet paper. Obviously that's enough to live on. Joking aside, they are fully stocked from what I could tell.

Tons of people in Aransas Pass fishing. Just left the IGA and haven't seen the beach yet. Headed to the house and the beach. I'll come back with an update of the town, but everything seems to be open and running so far with plenty of people.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.