Tyler, TX - Business Wish List

5,870 Views | 35 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by PeekingDuck
J_Landes89
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
What is a business that Tyler does not have that you would love to see open in town? As a realtor here, I'm always trying to add to my "Wish List" of Companies that I think would mutually benefit from having a presence here. Places to eat, entertainment, service industry, anything.

Garbanzo/Cava, P.F. Changs, Velvet Taco, Tumble22, Steel City Pops, Heim Barbecue, NightLight Donuts, Blaze Pizza, Super Target, Qdoba, Big Bad Breakfast, Fuego's, T Blanco's, Cheesecake Factory, Pluckers, Gumby's, Mellow Mushroom, Ninfa's, Chimy's, El Rey Tacos, Papa's BBQ, Papadeaux, Papasito's, Mi Cocina, Zaxby's, Cowboy Chicken, HEB, Katy Trail Icehouse, Waffle House, Rosa's Mexican Food, Belle's/ Bubba's, LAYNE'S, The Container Store, Baja Fresh, Blue Baker, Taco Cabana, Jucy Taco, Hawaiin Falls Waterpark, Dallas Truckyard Concept, Magnolia (Waco) outside concept of food trucks/high end Grove style, Back Down South Clothing, Dave N Busters, Top Golf, Nordstrom Rack, Bojangles, Krispy Kreme, Boston's Pizza Rest. & Sports Bar, Pinstack, Tiff's Treats, Benihana, Judd's Market, Hat Creek Burgers, Rosa's Mexicana, BottleCap Alley Icehouse, Double Dave's (bring back), Fuddruckers (RIP?), Chopt, Salada, Dish Society, MOD Pizza, EVO, Shake Shack, Hopdoddy, ROCA, Chicken N Pickles, Pei Wei

Just to name a few^.

Really curious to see your spots on your wish list as well. Feedback would be super helpful!

Thanks, Ags!
AsburyAg
AG
HEB

That's it. That's the list.

Oh, and yes. Bring Double Dave's back. But, you must remember that in Tyler, for every pizza joint or burger place that opens, one dies. So you have to account for the one that you are going to sacrifice.
J_Landes89
AG
I miss Double Dave's…. Am I wrong to think it started in CS?

Got me through high school. Those summer lunch buffets!
PeekingDuck
AG
The place really doesn't need more restaurants. It needs to put some money into downtown and incentives for business that might actually attract a younger demographic.
Mike92
AG
I can't figure out why there's not a Jucy's Taco yet. Even Marshall has one.
RogerFurlong
A decent lit driving range that stays open late on week days and serves beer.
Dro07
AG
PeekingDuck said:

The place really doesn't need more restaurants. It needs to put some money into downtown and incentives for business that might actually attract a younger demographic.

I dunno I could go for a subway or Jersey mikes downtown
J_Landes89
AG
I'd love a Jersey Mike's downtown.
AGC
AG
Dro07 said:

PeekingDuck said:

I dunno I could go for a subway or Jersey mikes downtown

You're the only one. They had a subway downtown. It's now culture.
Dro07
AG
Ya I remember subway being there. Culture doesn't tickle my fancy. Any recommendations?
AGC
AG
Dro07 said:

Ya I remember subway being there. Culture doesn't tickle my fancy. Any recommendations?

Not really. We don't eat many chains even when we travel.
RockOn
My wish list is more open green spaces; parks; dedicated walking and biking paths; clean, unpolluted air; and fresh, clear water.
AGC
AG
RockOn said:

My wish list is more open green spaces; parks; dedicated walking and biking paths; clean, unpolluted air; and fresh, clear water.

We have biking paths. Haven't you ridden by the mall on old Bullard lately?

Maybe we can bulldoze the empty retail on Broadway inside the loop and make it greenspace.
RushHour
As someone new to the area, the lack of Urgent Care's really stumps me. There's Emergency Rooms on every corner, but there are only a couple of Urgent Care's in town. I moved from a town of 30,000 in South Louisiana and even that place had 4-5 Urgent Care's.

HEB and Costco would do gangbusters here. Also, a really good pizza place, the one's in town are pretty mediocre.
AGC
AG
RogerFurlong said:

A decent lit driving range that stays open late on week days and serves beer.

I missed this but I second it. That's what I'd love to see.
RockOn
AGC said:

RockOn said:

We have biking paths. Haven't you ridden by the mall on old Bullard lately?

Maybe we can bulldoze the empty retail on Broadway inside the loop and make it greenspace.
Would love to see the Carlton imploded and turned in to an urban park.

I would also love to have Broadway traffic re-routed around downtown and have the entire downtown square car-less.
FirstOnRaceDayAg
AG
Have lived in Tyler area all of my life (63 years) and currently live outside of Bullard. About the only businesses for which I come into Tyler are Super 1 and Home Depot/Lowes. With the ongoing growth in Jacksonville (Chick Fil-A, Super 1, Harbor Freight) along with the typical Walmart, Atwoods, etc., it's easier for me to go there for the common shopping options instead of Tyler. If Jacksonville gets a Home Depot, I might never go into Tyler again.

Based on the OP's list, HEB and Pappadeaux would be great to have and I would come into Tyler for those.
TOM-M
I wish Jerry's Cafe and the 8-ball were still open. Same for: Red Barn Steakhouse. Gibsons. Coats-McCain. Cherokee Hardware. Dick Doyle's. 3 theaters at the square. Broadway being a drag strip on Fri/Sat nights. Red Ackers and the drive-in. The list could go on and on......

Ya'll can have the new stuff. And the ******* medians that go with it.

RogerFurlong
We just go to Hospitality ER for most things. Great service and you don't deal with the bs that comes with most of those type of places.
Aggiehunter34
S
Pluckers, MOD Pizza, and HEB right off the top of my head
PeekingDuck
AG
Just go to Top It Off if you need a pizza fix. Guy is straight out of New York.
Dro07
AG
The heck is top it off?
RockOn
That strip center has always had above average restaurants. Basil Thai before Pooch's... and wasn't there an Elvis themed italian place there about 10 years ago?
PeekingDuck
AG
Pizza place over on 5th just east of the loop. Guy is from Long Island or Brooklyn, can't remember which. Legit stuff. It just says 'pizza' on the front of the shop.
PeekingDuck
AG
He has something he calls a pepperoni roll but it's really more of a Stromboli. Also does a vegetable. Can't go wrong.
Dro07
AG
I ended up looking it up on FB and it looks freaking good. It's by my parents house so I may have to stop by next time I visit the folks
PeekingDuck
AG
It competes with anything in Texas, for sure. Best in Tyler by far.
WreckingCrew12
AG
I second Top it off! Best in Tyler and it is not even close.
Comeby!
AG
This list is considerably shorter than what it was when I lived there at the turn of the century. We didn't have jack there.
Aggiehunter34
S
PeekingDuck said:

Just go to Top It Off if you need a pizza fix. Guy is straight out of New York.
Been there many times, but it is hit or miss. If you dont get the owner making it, it is not the same. If the owner is there it is a homerun every time and the garlic knots are amazing.

deer corn
There is a Pei Wei in the Tyler Mall on Broadway.
Gabster43213
Pizza by the Slice. The only one I know of is off Broadway near Bergfeld Shopping Center and it is average in taste and the lady who owns/manages the place is annoying to say the least.

Old Time type Diner. Looks like there used to be Cox's on Front as well as a place at the northeast corner of Front Street and Beckham.
J_Landes89
AG
Not the same one I'm thinking of
Texker
AG
Saw a segment on Texas Country Reporter on C Rojo's Taqueria. Anybody tried it?
J_Landes89
AG
SUPERS good!
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.