Potential move to Tyler questions! (Tyler Legacy HS and club soccer)

3,316 Views | 13 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by FightinTexasAggie28
smc05
How long do you want to ignore this user?
My husband is looking at taking a job in Tyler and I have a couple of questions. We really like the area that feeds into Tyler Legacy HS and we will have a 9th grader in the fall. I've seen mixed reviews. We currently live in the Dallas area and we are already planning on sending our kids to a big, diverse public high school. Anything I should know in particular? I feel like online information and ratings are not helpful. Our current zoned high school looks bad on a paper but is great in real life. I'd love to hear some real life recent takes on the school.

Also one of my kiddos plays club soccer. Does anyone have any tips on club soccer in Tyler? Does it get exhausting coming back to Dallas for games?

Thanks in advance!
Dro07
AG
Can't help you in any way since I graduated from Lee in 98 but welcome!

What kinda work are you moving into the area for?
smc05
Oil and gas
AGC
AG
Can't speak to Legacy as my kids don't and won't go there if I can help it.

Regarding club, yes, the driving can be exhausting. If soccer is what you want your kids to do plan on rearranging church frequently (if you go) and spending most Saturdays there to the exclusion of a lot of other stuff. If you have two kids and they aren't both there, well…I'm really curious to see how it turns out in 10 years for my friends with families of 3+.
smc05
Where do your kids go to school?
SoulSlaveAG2005
AG
Our kids go to St Gregory Catholic school, so no personal experience with Legacy. Our neighbor who is an Ag has had a couple kids graduate from there. Their oldest is a senior this year and they are really good kids. Probly more a product of being kids to Ags than the school, though.

Of the public schools, legacy has a better reputation the Tyler high. Both schools tho recently remodeled and are really nice facilities wise.
AGC
AG
smc05 said:

Where do your kids go to school?

Mine are in private it that's about educational philosophy. It wasn't a dig at legacy, just stating how little my opinion about it would be worth. Have friends and neighbors whose kids go there and they'll turn out fine.
buy_dont_lease
AG
If you ask 100 different people you'll get 100 different opinions on schools in Tyler. I can honestly say I could identify friends/neighbors who have had both positive or negative experiences with essentially every private school and all the public schools my kids would feed through. It comes down to what's best for your kids/family. I get the impression from your initial post public schools will suit you just fine here, but the private schools are worth a peek if its financially feasible.

My perception is that if you're looking in the Legacy attendance area, I think you will not find any issues with public schools that would be out of the ordinary from what you may find in your present location in DFW. Tyler is fairly segregated geographically, though the schools are zoned in such a way that the schools in the Legacy attendance area are certainly not homogenous. The facilities are or will be all "new" (within last 20 years) from elementary to high school. Legacy and Tyler High are both just a couple years old and are impressive facilities. Of course, facilities are just one component. I'd encourage scheduling a tour of multiple schools and checking them out. May be hard with the year about to end, but do it while students are there, if possible.

We are moving our young kids from private to public next year, and it was not a decision taken lightly, but we have "faith" in the schools our kids are zoned to attend and in the present trajectory of the district. TISD's recent past is not stellar, and there has been a drain of folks to the private schools. I think that has zapped the public schools of families that would otherwise be involved and engaged--nothing against having your kids in private school at all. My perception is that TISD has made a lot of strides in the last decade to overcome that and other challenges.

If you have concerns about public school curriculum, want your kids to get a faith-based education, want to make sure your kids get to participate in any activity regardless of "aptitude," smaller class sizes, etc., then there are a number of solid private schools to choose from with different "brands" based on your kids' interests and your families' religious preferences (if any). With that in mind, some of the private schools have a better reputation than others in terms of inclusion, and if you're not from Tyler you may find some folks here may not really care to get to know you or your kids, which may be something to consider for their social lives. I can elaborate on that via PM if you're interested.
smc05
This was a really thoughtful response. Thank you! I'll definitely reach out if we make the move for sure. I think we would rather not go down the private school route for both cost (4 kiddos) and our own family philosophy. I imagine we would check out Bullard, Whitehouse or Lindale public schools if we felt that TISD wasn't for us. We've moved around enough with school aged kids to know you can find something positive and negative about almost every school. I think we are just most nervous about moving with a 9th grader when that year is already tough.
SoulSlaveAG2005
AG
Hope you all find a nice landing spot in ETX.

We have 5 kiddos, so feel free to reach out. Lots of good large family groups here to make friends with.
Aggiehunter34
S
Tyler Legacy is a good school, of course all schools are going to have issues. I think it would be worthwhile to check out some of the other schools you listed as well. Bullard, Whitehouse, Lindale, etc. Those towns are close to Tyler with an easy commute and they are smaller than Legacy. I graduated from Lindale and always thought it was a great school.

I am a mortgage lender here in Tyler with My City Mortgage and we have a lot of programs that have break downs of districts if you ever want me to run a report for you of the different areas you may be looking at. I would be happy to help answer any questions you guys might have.

Best of luck with the move. I am retired military and had to move my kiddos a lot, so I completely understand where you are coming from on trying to find the right fit.

Hope the move goes smoothly and you find the spot that is best for all of you.

Brian
bbailey at gomycity.com if you have any questions or want me to run one of those reports.
BMOC86
AG
Lindale everyday and all day. Phenomenal school district
DuncanLEO
BMOC86 said:

Lindale everyday and all day. Phenomenal school district
Being a less desirable area to live, the land prices sure are cheaper in Lindale. If you can afford it, look south and south of Tyler.
FightinTexasAggie28
Lindale is growing quickly though, I would put Bullard and Lindale ahead of Legacy
He’s a Fighting Texas Aggie and he just don’t give a damn
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.