Need planting recommendations

2,559 Views | 6 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by TreeFarmer
SoulSlaveAG2005
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
So this is our 3rd season in etx.

We have pulled up all the overgrown plants and bushes that were blocking up the home.

We really like small greenery and flowering plants/grasses that are perennials, and don't mind planting some annuals for color.

We've planted a couple of petite roses that are doing ok, and some Aztec grass that's doing well.

However the area is mostly shaded, probably only gets 4-6 hrs sunlight max most of the year.

Any plant g recommendations that work in ETX soil. Other than azaleas, we don't like those.

Dro07
AG
I can't help you… only thing I know how to grow are weeds and not the fun kind.
SoulSlaveAG2005
AG
I'm learning what I thought. Was a green thumb is not applicable everywhere. I'm CTX, I could grow almost anything and never had issues other than droughts.

Here, much more shade, sandy soil, and it rains a lot more. I'm definitely learning but was hoping I could pick brains of people as I learn better by discussion than reading books.
Owlagdad
903-590-2980. Call Greg Grant - Smith county horticultural guy. Good Ag. While I needed help with pond, he put me on right guy. Both very helpful and eager to help- and lol, your questions are what we pay them for!!

Also know an Ag that has worked all over East Texas with landscaping, if county agent can't help , let me know, I'll put you on him! He is on Facebook - don't know if you do that.
SoulSlaveAG2005
AG
Owlagdad said:

903-590-2980. Call Greg Grant - Smith county horticultural guy. Good Ag. While I needed help with pond, he put me on right guy. Both very helpful and eager to help- and lol, your questions are what we pay them for!!

Also know an Ag that has worked all over East Texas with landscaping, if county agent can't help , let me know, I'll put you on him! He is on Facebook - don't know if you do that.

Awesome.

I'll call tomorrow

TY
cevans_40
AG
I would look at some ferns (I like foxtail and holly) as well as some native grasses like lovegrass or gulf muhlygrass.

TreeFarmer
AG
SoulSlave. Hope you found what you were looking for. I would have responded sooner, but I don't come to the East Texas board that frequently.

If you still need any advice, here are some suggestions.

For under-story trees that do well in heavy shade:
Dogwood
Japanese Maple
Redbud

Small greenery:
Dwarf Yaupon
Dwarf Japanese Holly
Seagreen juniper
Blue mound juniper
Blue rug juniper

Shrubs:
Nandina
Boxwood
Chinese Fringe Shrub
Spirea
Indian Hawthorn
Camellia
Texas Sage
Crape Myrtles

Other trees:
Chinese Fringe Tree
Japanese Black Pine
Vitex

Perrenials:
Salvia
Daylily
Yarrow
Iris

Hope this helps

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.