Possibly moving to area...

5,146 Views | 32 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by SoulSlaveAG2005
SoulSlaveAG2005
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Howdy.

Saw a couple other threads and garnered some good info from them. Still have a few questions.

We are looking at a possible move to Tyler. Finishing up interview process this week and waiting on an offer.

We spent this past weekend looking at rentals and was very disappointed in the options. If we move it will be during holiday break and we would like to rent for a year or so before buying.

Realtor we are working with is doing a good job finding places but even she was disappointed with the locations. They were all dirty inside (even though they were vacant) and all smelled like cats/pets.

Any ETX Aggies on here know of any rentals about to come on market?

Would like a 4/2 (can make a 3/2 work)... in Tyler proper close to hospitals. Main preference is just that the place doesn't smell like satans derrire, we have 3 kids under 4.

Thanks
rooftop18403
https://nwpmanagement.net/
Stive
AG
Ask the realtor about any houses that have been on the market for a while (over-priced). Sometimes those will rent for a year depending on their situation.

That worked out well for us when we moved down here.
SoulSlaveAG2005
AG
Thanks for tips.

We should have final clarity by end of this week, early next week. Once we are for sure moving, this will help pull the trigger.
Dro07
AG
Good luck! If you need any help be sure to go to Old Rivalries
AGC
SoulSlaveAG2005
AG
Update:

We will be moving to area. Got the job offer, now we figure out timeline and transition.

Thanks for help and look forward to learning more about area.
AGC
AG
Two breweries: one downtown and one just inside the west loop 323. If you live just south of 323 you can make it to either in 10 minutes, 15 tops with traffic.
SoulSlaveAG2005
AG
AGC said:

Two breweries: one downtown and one just inside the west loop 323. If you live just south of 323 you can make it to either in 10 minutes, 15 tops with traffic.

That's excellent news, as I will be quite thirsty very often.
AGC
AG
I recommend the one near the west loop. Kid area, dog area, completely family friendly. And a mug club where you get at least one a week depending on the level you purchase.
Dro07
AG
I recommend the one downtown where people aren't as snooty
AGC
AG
dromo07 said:

He posts on R&P. He's all about snooty.
SoulSlaveAG2005
AG
SoulSlaveAG2005
AG
dromo07 said:

Good luck! If you need any help be sure to go to Old Rivalries

I am curious how OR can help out with this endeavor? Other than degrading me and my choice of town to inhabit?
Dro07
AG
haha they tend to send posters here so I like to send poster back from time to time
Dro07
AG
AGC said:

dromo07 said:

I still think the porch food is better also but im a food snob
AGC
AG
dromo07 said:

AGC said:

dromo07 said:

I'd feel so bad dunking on you for this that I'll keep quiet.
Dro07
AG
Haha that's should have read as not a good snob but proceed
RockOn
Quote:

Prior to Sola existing at True Vine, they had community pizza night in their backyard with all you can eat pizza from their brick oven. They were all amazing but my favorite was the indian butter chicken pizza. I don't believe they've put it on their menu at Sola just yet, but watch out for it.
AGC
AG
RockOn said:

Quote:

Prior to Sola existing at True Vine, they had community pizza night in their backyard with all you can eat pizza from their brick oven. They were all amazing but my favorite was the indian butter chicken pizza. I don't believe they've put it on their menu at Sola just yet, but watch out for it.

Did you go to many? We might have met if so or if you're out at TV much. We're there once a week.
Owlagdad
SoulSlaveAG2005 said:

Howdy.

Saw a couple other threads and garnered some good info from them. Still have a few questions.

We are looking at a possible move to Tyler. Finishing up interview process this week and waiting on an offer.

We spent this past weekend looking at rentals and was very disappointed in the options. If we move it will be during holiday break and we would like to rent for a year or so before buying.

Realtor we are working with is doing a good job finding places but even she was disappointed with the locations. They were all dirty inside (even though they were vacant) and all smelled like cats/pets.

Any ETX Aggies on here know of any rentals about to come on market?

Would like a 4/2 (can make a 3/2 work)... in Tyler proper close to hospitals. Main preference is just that the place doesn't smell like satans derrire, we have 3 kids under 4.

Thanks

I know you have realtor, maybe he can work with Chris Phillips, broker at WP&CO. He just posted a total redo- small- 1854 sq Ft , in Jack elementary for 1700 a month- 3/2 .Good luck
SoulSlaveAG2005
AG
Anybody have a good self storage recommendation, local small town bank also?

Edit: move date is 1/11. I'll bencoming up next week to look at more rental options.
This message has been approved by Brad, Jerry and Mitch..
AGC
AG
SoulSlaveAG2005 said:

Anybody have a good self storage recommendation, local small town bank also?

Edit: move date is 1/11. I'll bencoming up next week to look at more rental options.

I'll avoid self storage as I've only used one out in Flint due to proximity.

Regarding local banks we have a ton. The one with the most accessibility if you're looking for convenience is probably southside - they're in grocery stores in addition to normal branches so you've got extended hours and the normal services and apps. But everyone has opinions about them - you love them or hate them if you're from here. They've grown a lot in the last five years so there aren't as many handshake deals as there used to be but for the average customer that's ok.
SoulSlaveAG2005
AG
Thanks.
Main thing I look for on a bank is simplocity. We just need a place to park money. I hate all the multiple level schemes banks have gone to. On principal it pisses me off they charge fees to hold your money.

Our current bank only has 2 locations in all of waco. All I want is free checking with a debit card. If they have online bill pay, or an app that is fine but I don't want to have to jump through multiple hoops to avoid a monthly service charge. Especially since I know they are loaning the money out at rediculous interest rates and Not sharing a dime of it.
Brock Sampson
AG
Bth bank
AGC
AG
Brock Sampson said:

Bth bank

BTH is quite aggressive with deposit account rates. Their lending habits are also quite...aggressive.
SoulSlaveAG2005
AG
Good news:

Got a rental
Got a bank
Got a storage shed

Now what are the names of these brew pubs? In town until noon tomorrow and need a place for me and my boy to go grab dinner and a brew.
RockOn
True Vine Brewery (Earl Campbell Pkwy)
East Texas Brewery (S Broadway)

Both open at 11, I believe, on Friday
SoulSlaveAG2005
AG
Thanks. I look forward to drinking a beer or two tonight
SoulSlaveAG2005
AG
dromo07 said:

Here at ETX now. Not too bad.
Dro07
AG
Nice! We were there earlier that day. What did you end up getting?
SoulSlaveAG2005
AG
Had one of their IPA's. It was good.

Tried their garlic Parm wings. They were meh.
Kid ate the corn dogs and fries and wasted a couple dollars in the big buck hunter game.

Dro07
AG
Nice! Next time you go out there get the hangover burger! Won't regret it
SoulSlaveAG2005
AG
Will do.

I am assuming I will be quite thirsty after we move in and may need to quench anticipated thirst, which if you give an Ag a beer, he's gonna want some food....
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.