Best small towns

4,533 Views | 12 Replies | Last: 8 mo ago by stexagg
aggieSO
How long do you want to ignore this user?
What are some of the best small towns in south texas to live in within an hour or so of Laredo and/or the valley?

Towns like kingsville, hebbronville, freer, falfurrias, etc would you want to live in any of these towns or is the valley better?
AggieOC
AG
I lived in Zapata when I first started my career as that is where I was stationed. After a year living there I moved back to Mission. I haven't left Mission since then. My commute to Zapata sucked but well worth it. I quickly learned there is no medical care, no big grocery stores (HEB) so you are having to drive over an hour for medical care and groceries.
RGV AG
AG
What Aggie OC said, those smaller towns a devoid of a lot things that most people take for granted. Also, most social circles in those smaller towns are family based and thus it is difficult to develop friends and such.

One of the positives about the Valley is that it is spread out and one can still live in spots in what is basically a "rural" or small town setting and be close to all the conveniences of a major urban area. Port Isabel, Bayview, Laguna Vista, Linn-San Manuel, Hargill, La Feria (to a degree), Progreso Lakes, etc. are all low population cool places, yet close to urban areas.
$240 Worth of Pudding
AG
Unless you've got a ranch there, Falfurrias is a T-total shot hole. You couldn't pay me enough to live there.
oldord
AG
$240 Worth of Pudding said:

Unless you've got a ranch there, Falfurrias is a T-total shot hole. You couldn't pay me enough to live there.
Says someone not from there.
$240 Worth of Pudding
AG
oldord said:

Thank gif for that too.
I worked in an around the area for 8 years.
I have more than enough data points to have formulated that opinion.
Sorry your hometown sucks.
carl spacklers hat
aggieSO said:

What are some of the best small towns in south texas to live in within an hour or so of Laredo and/or the valley?

Towns like kingsville, hebbronville, freer, falfurrias, etc would you want to live in any of these towns or is the valley better?
Depends on what you're looking for. I'd scratch Kingsville off the list - doesn't meet the small town criteria, IMO. Hebbronville, Freer and Falfurrias might check the one-hour-to bigger-city box but there just isn't much to offer in those towns except they are small, isolated and generally undeveloped. You will find much better access to more amenities living in one of the smaller Valley towns mentioned in previous posts. I'd maybe add Arroyo City and Port Mansfield to the list and scratch Port Isabel.
People think I'm an idiot or something, because all I do is cut lawns for a living.
RGV AG
AG
carl spacklers hat said:

I'd maybe add Arroyo City and Port Mansfield to the list and scratch Port Isabel.
No love for PI? I still own property there and lived there off and on for about 15 years, I like PI quite a bit. IMO it is the only place along the coast, south of Rockport (with quick beach access) that you can live in a basically "normal", non-tourist, neighborhood. I much prefer it to being on the Island.

I spent about a month on Port Mansfield a long time ago, and I am not fond of that place. They have mosquitos up there that down a 747. Every one of my friends up there had/has a big drinking problem. Other than that, it is lovely.

Arroyo City is a really neat place, you are right it should be considered. If I was younger I would probably dig into it a little more, but alas time isn't on my side anymore.
oldord
AG

oldord said:

Thank gif for that too.
I worked in an around the area for 8 years.
I have more than enough data points to have formulated that opinion.
Sorry your hometown sucks.

Ok puddin. You know how they say opinions are like ***holes……

I am sure you can get lattes and plenty of gay bars where you live so you are happy to crap elsewhere since you could find neither in Fal.
oldord
AG
RGV AG said:

carl spacklers hat said:

I'd maybe add Arroyo City and Port Mansfield to the list and scratch Port Isabel.
No love for PI? I still own property there and lived there off and on for about 15 years, I like PI quite a bit. IMO it is the only place along the coast, south of Rockport (with quick beach access) that you can live in a basically "normal", non-tourist, neighborhood. I much prefer it to being on the Island.

I spent about a month on Port Mansfield a long time ago, and I am not fond of that place. They have mosquitos up there that down a 747. Every one of my friends up there had/has a big drinking problem. Other than that, it is lovely.

Arroyo City is a really neat place, you are right it should be considered. If I was younger I would probably dig into it a little more, but alas time isn't on my side anymore.

Still own a place and a business in PI. You are right it is a pretty good spot once you are no longer a tourist but resident.

That being said have not been regular visitor since 2018. Miss it.

Arroyo city is a fantastic place and agree about the drunks in Mansfield.

Lockport was the other coastal town I liked but never
Lived there.

Lived in Harlingen, Weslaco and hebronville at various times in my life.

Now reside outside of Houston but really Miss south Texas. Would move back in a second if I could.
ObviousLazyRiverIsObvious
Carmine Scarpacio
I like Uvalde a lot for a small town.

Also liked living in the RGV, but that was 30 years ago and I was a kid.
stexagg
Born and raised, spent about half of my life in Uvalde. A great small town though so much has changed, as in many small towns.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.