Best places to live in South Texas??

6,710 Views | 26 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by scottimus
aggieSO
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Besides San Antonio.

My family has a ranch near Freer and near Beeville, I would like to buy some land from them as well as around other parts of South Texas and hopefully live there... Although it seems like the only good schools are in San Antonio?
OXDL45
AG
How far South are you looking? Most of the posters on here live in the Rio Grande Valley.

If you need advice for anything north of Falfurrias I would try the SA or Gulf Coast board.

RGV does have some nice spots though.
aggieSO
I am not against living in the RGV, my SO has family that lives there. Would be curious to hear what it is like to live there, as I have only visited
RGV AG
AG
People seem to either love it or abhor it. There are lots of "not common" pluses and many negatives compared to mainstream white bread America, no pun intended.

If you have good income it is a great place to live, very safe and easy to deal with. It is not as cool as it once was now that Mexico is all jacked up and not too accesible. It will really depend on your lIkess and dislikes.
Gordon Bombay
AG
Where are you from, I resided in Austin and Dallas prior to moving here... would be glad to give some perspective from the outside but RGV AG is basically spot on.
aggieSO
I have always lived in Alamo Heights, San Antonio, so I am curious what the "equivalent" would be in Mcallen area, maybe Sharyland or North McAllen? I am all ears
aggieSO
I am a Texas man, my reason for potentially leaving San Antonio is simply it's getting too big. I like ranch activities, and a slow pace of life, though I also enjoy some city things. I like rivers and lakes. (hate sharks). Like to fish, like to hunt. I also am pretty big into genealogy and history, are there any Texas/ranching museums? I plan to buy some land in South Texas, I may possibly inherit some in Duval County and Bee County.

I am still not totally sold on living in the RGV just because I don't speak Spanish and look pasty white. My girlfriend has had some stange experiences of locals touching her hair and **** (and she herself is 1/3 mexican, though you probably couldn't tell unless you know a lot of about genetics and features)
Gordon Bombay
AG
Sharyland is nice, there a lot of Mexican nationals that reside there and are well to do. North McAllen and Edinburg are nice. The traffic here will be worse than what you may have pictured in your mind's eye. They are way behind the curve when it comes to roads and did not plan well for growth. Small city with big city traffic issues, bad drivers.

I would actually recommend the Harlingen area, it is right in the middle between McAllen and Brownsville, basically. There is everything you need there and the area is growing. Nothing here is that bad of a drive considering where you are now. I live in Harlingen, there are some very nice subdivisions and some larger home sites depending on where you look. I live in Harlingen and work in Brownsville or McAllen depending on the day, I commute

The Hispanic culture is predominant here, may not be the PC thing to say, I don't mean it bad... but it is different.

All that said, I like it, I do have to scratch my head some days, I married a local, I will never leave!
PJYoung
AG
aggieSO said:

I am a Texas man, my reason for potentially leaving San Antonio is simply it's getting too big. I like ranch activities, and a slow pace of life, though I also enjoy some city things. I like rivers and lakes. (hate sharks). Like to fish, like to hunt. I also am pretty big into genealogy and history, are there any Texas/ranching museums? I plan to buy some land in South Texas, I may possibly inherit some in Duval County and Bee County.

I am still not totally sold on living in the RGV just because I don't speak Spanish and look pasty white. My girlfriend has had some stange experiences of locals touching her hair and **** (and she herself is 1/3 mexican, though you probably couldn't tell unless you know a lot of about genetics and features)

NE McAllen. Best public elementary school in the valley. Well, at least the richest.

Our kids grew up with some great friends. Lots of very successful professionals send their kids to school there and live in that area.
oldvalleyrat
AG
aggieSO said:

Interesting that you are thinking about moving further south. I am a long time resident of the valley but I did live in San Antonio for ten years and taught Physics at Churchill High School. We also lived in Harlingen for a couple of years and I taught at the marine Military Academy. If you were to move to McAllen/Sharyland/Harlingen you will do fine. The schools that you would run into here are very similar to what you find in NE School District in SA. I did not particularly like Harlingen and after a couple of years we decided to move out...seemed like an unfriendly town.

If you are concerned about going to a school with Hispanic folks, then don't come here. I have found the people in the valley to be wonderful and I don't speak Spanish and I am "pasty white too". Most of the schools in this are are between 80 - 90% Hispanic. I have many life long friends here in the Edinburg/McAllen area. It is the cheapest place in the nation to live too.

The reason why some folks touch your wife's hair is a cultural thing and is a complement. If they look at your wife's hair and admire it then it is sorta like putting curse on it. If they touch it, then the curse is removed. (At least that is the way it was described.)If you have small blond haired children, you can expect more of that at HEB! My kids are all grown up and my grand kids are all in high school so I don't see much of that anymore.

We lov SA when we lived there in the 70s. Great neighbors, and friends and lots to do. When I go back for a visit I am glad I moved because the place is too crowded.
SPI-FlatsCatter 84
AG
aggieSO said:

(hate sharks).
Was gonna say SPI or gtfo....... But

AG
Arroyo city!
bmart97
AG
McAllen
GLJ13
AG
Alamo
Pet Sounds
AG
Since you mentioned you have property near Freer...have you ever considered Laredo? It's a nice town that keeps growing in size every time I visit family. There are some great white tail deer, fishing, and dove hunting areas nearby. If you feel like taking a road trip, Freer is just 1 hour away and San Antonio is just 2.5 hours away. Fairly easy to get down to the RGV too.

As far as your other concerns, don't worry about being white in South Texas. You'll get over it pretty quickly, it's just the initial culture shock you'll experience. Same thing happened to me when I moved to College Station, being brown in "Gringolandia" . Tejanos are good people.
Fall92
AG
Hebronville or GTFO!
"I did nothing. I did absolutely nothing, and it was everything that I thought it could be."
Fall92
AG
Just kidding, the correct answer is Corpus!
huisachel
Refugio or Bee Counties are good and close to SA and CC.
aggieSO
Much of my (older) family lives in Beeville. I have heard it is getting worse due to meth problems and prisoners. Thoughts?
Whitetail
AG
Falls City
agsdocdo
AG
Laredo of course
CNH III
aggieSO
What is Laredo like?
AgFan131
Little Mexico. Don't go.
agsdocdo
AG
Little Mexico as it was previously been coined is a place to go. The people warm and friendly. I will personally show you around "little Mexico"
CNH III
OXDL45
AG
If I ever where to move back I would look at McAllen or Mission.
benchmark
AG
aggieSO
Can't see it
scottimus
AG
Bayview or Laguna Vista, Texas.

You are welcome in advance.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.