Channel 5

4,317 Views | 23 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by PJYoung
oldvalleyrat
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Interestingly Channel 5 has been removed from DirecTV. I have an outside antenna so I can still see it but it is kinda irritating. Not sure who is to blame. You would thing that Channel 5 would not want to remove itself because it loses lots of viewers. I suppose that DirecTV could be trying to "strong arm" the TV station ...who knows.

Fortunately, We watch almost no TV shows on ABC. The shows we watch are mostly on Channel 4...we have always watched Channel 5 for the News and Weather.

I guess it makes little difference to me, any of you guys have any insight?
zarbas77
AG
Same for us. We watch Channel 5 for the news and weather. The wife kept telling me about the notices that if a deal with direct TV could not be reached, they would go off direct TV. She kept saying that something would surely get done to fix it....Guess not.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
EFE
AG
Saw that last night
scottimus
AG
Summabich
OXDL45
AG
Wonder how long this lasts.
EFE
AG
No mames, guey. You'll continue to be quiet and enjoy your hot Houston weather girls and pay our struggles no mind
OXDL45
AG
There's more talent in the bigger cities.
oldvalleyrat
AG
I have been patient and watched channel 5 using my outside antenna for over a week now and have been expecting this to be resolved. It hasn't been. Channel 5 and DirecTV are supposed to provide a service and are not. I sent an e-mail to the General Manager of Channel 5 and told him that of Monday, I was going to stop watching them and that I would consider the valley to be without ABC service. I am only a little guy with no real clout so I have to do what is best for me. I really didn't watch much on Channel 5 other than Shark Tank and the news. I can live without Shark Tank and I can watch the local and national news on Channel 4.

I wonder if the folks at Channel 5 thought that I would change services simply because they decided to do this?
oldvalleyrat
AG
I guess that the folks at Channel 5 blinked and are now back on DirecTV.
skins74
AG
I can remember when all we got was Channel 4 and 5 and they went off the air at midnight until 6 am.

Damn I am old.
Scar Tissue
AG
skins74 said:

I can remember when all we got was Channel 4 and 5 and they went off the air at midnight until 6 am.

Damn I am old.
I remember those days. I use to turn the outside antenna hoping that I might be able to get a Corpus Christi tv station.
oldvalleyrat
AG
I even remember when the only channel we had was channel 7 over in Mexico. That is the one that I Love Lucy was on.
Owlagdad
skins74 said:

Damn I am old.

Caught Ty Cobb at noon
Gary Johnson
Gary Johnson
Gary Johnson
skins74
AG
Ty Cobb, Charlie Rankin, Frank Sullivan and Cloony the Clown!!!
Owlagdad
In a small world thing, I have a friend who played a reunion every year on YA Tittles place north of Marshall. It was for Giants and LSU guys-- and Jim Cason the old channel 4 sports guy was always there.
Hey Nav
AG
Quote:

Ray Norton and Lee Lindsey with the evening news on KGBT.
RGV AG
AG
Lee Lindsay was something else, didn't he quit the news stuff, I think he was weather right?, to go and do something oddball? He was gone from Ch. 4 one day to the next, yet was seen around the RGV. I went to HS with his daughter and she was Weird, with a capital W.

For a spell in the late 70's I think Ch. 4 had that crazy weatherman that had like a cult following for a year or two.

I grew up in Mexico City before moving to the RGV in the early 80's and I always felt intimately connected to the RGV because we had two American cable TV channels, Channel 5 from Weslaco and KMOL from San Antonio, and the last year or two we were there they switched to Ch. 4 instead of KMOL. In the days before the internet and such I spent a long time trying to figure out what the hell PSJA could possibly be, as they referenced it on the sportscasts so much.
PJYoung
AG
skins74 said:

Ty Cobb, Charlie Rankin, Frank Sullivan and Cloony the Clown!!!

Charlie Rankin was the best. Love that old guy.
oldvalleyrat
AG
You always knew when Charlie was coming on ...either radio or TV when they started playing his theme song, "The Syncopated Clock."
skins74
AG
RGV AG said:

Lee Lindsay was something else, didn't he quit the news stuff, I think he was weather right?, to go and do something oddball? He was gone from Ch. 4 one day to the next, yet was seen around the RGV. I went to HS with his daughter and she was Weird, with a capital W.

For a spell in the late 70's I think Ch. 4 had that crazy weatherman that had like a cult following for a year or two.

I grew up in Mexico City before moving to the RGV in the early 80's and I always felt intimately connected to the RGV because we had two American cable TV channels, Channel 5 from Weslaco and KMOL from San Antonio, and the last year or two we were there they switched to Ch. 4 instead of KMOL. In the days before the internet and such I spent a long time trying to figure out what the hell PSJA could possibly be, as they referenced it on the sportscasts so much.
One of the funniest cartoons I ever saw in the Monitor was one of a man driving in a car with his wife looking at a map and telling him there was no PSSJAW on the map. ( That was after the City painted the water tower with PSJA.) I think they did that after some kids painted a big T behind Pharr.
Thomas Sowell, PhD
AG
https://ibb.co/hHhd7k
PJYoung
AG
I wouldn't click on that link.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.