West Texas
Sponsored by

Midland Christian (school) fiasco

2,768 Views | 2 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by TequilaMockingbird
91AggieLawyer
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I was just getting wind of this over the last few days but the events happened earlier this year.

Apparently, during early season baseball practice in January, freshmen initiation got out of hand to the tune of one of the freshmen got held down and done some things to with a bat (use you own imagination). I'm not sure whether the school found out immediately or within a couple of weeks, but it appears they knew in a somewhat short period of time.

By the middle of February, a police report of the incident was made and the school was contacted. My understanding based on news reports was that the police first called the school, talked to one of the principals, was told the superintendent (I guess, head of school) was out of town, then called back when he got back, and the super refused to talk. Said they were handling it "internally." Of course, since a crime had been alleged, this wasn't something the police were just going to drop. They got a search warrant, found some documents, including emails, from staff members on the incident and, after a few days, the police executed arrest warrants on 5 MC staff members -- 3 admins and 2 coaches, including the AD/head football coach and head baseball coach. The arrests were based on failure to report abuse. The school's board sort of took a neutral position but they did put the individuals on leave and put in interim staff to fill their places.

In April, the football coach resigned. Sometime between February and April, I *believe* but am not clear on, a student may or may not have been arrested for the alleged act. At any rate, others have come forward and stated that the culture of the school is to hush these sorts of things up to protect the school's image. I do not know the status of the 4 other individuals who were arrested in terms of their job status.

In May, I believe, a grand jury "no billed" all 5 individuals, saying there was not enough evidence to prosecute the individual (likely missing one or more elements of the crime). This month, the school replaced the head football coach with the former Prestonwood Christian head coach, who had left that position after last season and became their AD.

Does anyone know more about this? MC has had a bit of a shady reputation, at least in football, in terms of recruiting and things like that. I don't know if TAPPS has caught up with them or not but rumors have gone around for years. Maybe those rumors are just by schools they beat (which happens all the time) and are baseless or maybe stuff that gets done everywhere, but it does seem a culture change is in order there.
harge57
AG
You definitely got a biased take from someone.

There was video of the event in question. The school admin all saw it, so did the kids parents, so did half the community. So did the grand jury. None of them found the admin in the wrong.

My understanding is the MPD detective got their panties in a wad when the superintendent told him he would not give the detective carte Blanche access to the school emails without a warrant so they arrested them for not reporting. They made a big scene about it and coordinated with the media for the arrests.

Many in the community have been pressuring the city to investigate MPDs handling of the case.

The board basically told the AD/ coach to resign before the grand jury which IMO was a chicken crap move. I think they put the success of the football program ahead of a good man's reputation to try and get some stability into the program with a new coach. That may be the real culture problem.

The high number and quality of people I know that know the details of the incident all came to the same conclusion so I side with them vs. a power hungry detective.
TequilaMockingbird
Five officials at a private Christian academy in Texas are facing felony charges over accusations they failed to notify authorities after a ninth-grader reported being sexually assaulted by an older student during a hazing incident on "freshman initiation day."

The three administrators and two athletic coaches at Midland Christian School are identified in an arrest warrant affidavit obtained by The Daily Beast as Superintendent Jared Owen Lee, secondary school Principal Dana Elizabeth Ellis, athletic director Gregory Neal McClendon, assistant secondary school principal Matthew David Counts, and baseball coach Barry Lee Russell.

"We are motivated in all facets by our faith in Jesus Christ, attempting to serve as a reflection of God's unconditional love for all people," Midland Christian's website proclaims. "We seek to honor the Lord in all that we do by operating Midland Christian School in a manner consistent with Biblical principles. It is important to us that every word and deed engaged in by Midland Christian School, its employees, representatives, volunteers, and students be consistent with and in furtherance of Midland Christian School's religious purposes: both publicly and privately."

But the five school officials apparently did not live up to those tenets following the alleged January attack, which was first exposed by the Midland Reporter-Telegram.

On Jan. 28, a detective with the Midland Police Department was notified about a "possible sexual assault of a child" that had occurred eight days earlier after baseball practice at Midland Christian.
In an interview with authorities, the unnamed victim said he had just stepped into the locker room to get changed when the lights were turned off. Someone said it was "freshman initiation day," and a 10th-grader began hitting the ninth-grader.

The ninth-grader's hands were pinned down, and he was flipped over onto his back, the affidavit states. He was then sexually assaulted with a baseball bat as other students looked on and cheered, it says.

The next day, the freshman student told school officials what had happened. And then, nothing.

"The two of them see each other every day as they are on the same baseball team," the affidavit goes on.

On Feb. 11, police investigators showed up at Midland Christian and spoke with Ellis, the principal of the secondary school. She told cops that she was aware of the incident and that it had been documented. However, Ellis said Lee, the school superintendent, was the only one with access to the files.

When Ellis told Lee about the horrific incident, Lee ordered McClendon and Counts to "conduct an 'investigation' into the incident instead of notifying law enforcement or another state agency," the affidavit explains.

But when Lee contacted police on Feb. 14, he refused to answer any questions or provide the documentation to which Ellis had referred, demanding that cops get a search warrant.

The warrant was granted and executed the same day.

During the search, investigators were given access to "notes" written by McClendon and Counts that documented the incident, according to the affidavit.

In emails between all five that were reviewed by police, "it was made very clear that a sexual assault had occurred, and the school had a duty to report," the affidavit continues, noting that "there were multiple emails exchanged," and that "several of the administrators refused to report the incident."

The five were arrested Wednesday and released on $5,000 bond. It is still unclear whether they have retained lawyers to speak on their behalf.

On Thursday, police arrested a student involved in the alleged attack, authorities announced. No further details have been released, and the student, who is a juvenile, has not been identified.

"Our school officials have, and will continue to, cooperate with law enforcement and their investigation," the president of Midland Christian's board of trustees told the Reporter-Telegram in a statement. "Currently, we have qualified acting administrators to supervise the campus, oversee student activities, support faculty, and maintain the day-to-day operation of the school. The physical, spiritual, and emotional safety of our students is the most important responsibility we bear as educators and one we take seriously. We appreciate the support and prayers of our Midland Christian parents, faculty, staff, and students as we continue leading, building, and equipping for Christ."

The allegations in the Midland Christian case are disturbingly similar to those laid out in a 2020 civil suit filed by a student at a public school in the Midland suburb of Greenwood. Administrators there stand accused of covering up repeated sexual assaults of a student athlete by his teammates, according to court filings reviewed by The Daily Beast, which say the school not only tried to sweep the alleged assaults under the rug, but that it retaliated by "discontinuing a longstanding business relationship" with the victim's father. The lawsuit is scheduled to go to trial in September.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/five-o...DE6nJK-06bu2FM
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.