West Texas
Sponsored by

West Texas Confederate Names/Monuments

3,203 Views | 4 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by TequilaMockingbird
UTExan
How long do you want to ignore this user?
https://www.cbs7.com/content/news/Confederate-tributes-in-West-Texas--571203141.html

I just don't see monuments coming down and names changing because they represent "white supremacy " in West Texas. First is the innate conservatism of folks who live in west Texas and secondly, there has not historically been the same sort of social relations as in the Deep South. Thoughts?
It is better to light a flamethrower than to curse the darkness- Sir Terence Pratchett
“ III stooges si viveret et nos omnes ad quos etiam probabile est mittent custard pies”
c-jags
Robert Lee is the first one that comes to mind. I know they're working on Midland Lee, but I'm surprised they haven't come after the town.

At the end of the day the town itself probably will just give them the middle finger. There won't be an organic movement from inside the town though. It would come from outside.
UTExan
c-jags said:

Robert Lee is the first one that comes to mind. I know they're working on Midland Lee, but I'm surprised they haven't come after the town.

At the end of the day the town itself probably will just give them the middle finger. There won't be an organic movement from inside the town though. It would come from outside.

My home county (Eastland) still has a Confederate statue by the courthouse. Haven't heard any calls to take it down, but not many yankees and Californians want to live there.
It is better to light a flamethrower than to curse the darkness- Sir Terence Pratchett
“ III stooges si viveret et nos omnes ad quos etiam probabile est mittent custard pies”
zachsccr
AG
Was in Christoval for the CVFD fundraiser this morning and noticed a monument in the park with the stars and bars on it. Judging by the similar flag flying as we drive into town, I doubt that monument goes anywhere for a long time.
sanangelo
AG
San Angelo LIVE! produced a video story on the issue of RE Lee Middle School. Lots of good info on the history of then-Lt Col Robert E Lee in west Texas.

TequilaMockingbird
Midland Lee just played their last football game, a 56-49 loss to Euless Trinity. They'll be the Midland Legacy Rebels next year.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.