West Texas
Sponsored by

Cord cutting in the Petroplex?

3,421 Views | 10 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by tonytx05
LoudestWHOOP!
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I cut the cord in the fall of 2012. Cable was a total waste for us, and the DVR was not even appealing in the end.
We only use Grande for cable internet, and have been happy with them.
We setup an attic antenna for local digital OTA channels.

I started with Netflix, Hulu and Amazon Prime on early ROKU devices.
Today we use ROKU3 devices or better for my TVs.
We eventually had to add Sling for live TV and news channels.
About a year ago we switched out for PSvue instead of using Sling. (At the time Sling had 1 stream) I like having more streams.

I'm not displeased with our setup, but since then DirectTVnow, HULUtv and YouTubeTV(not yet in Midland/Odessa) have come on line I was wondering if I am missing out on anything?

Does anyone have a different setup that they would like to share?

If anyone else have a questions about doing cord cutting in Midland/Odessa I will answer what I can.
LoudestWHOOP!
AG
Some links for streaming live TV:
Sling
PSvue
HULUtv
YouTubeTV
DirectTVnow

LoudestWHOOP!
AG
DirectTVnow posted a page showing a comparison of services
LoudestWHOOP!
AG
Tip: When living live with a cutting the cord.
Keep an extra Docsis 3.0 Cable modem ready for the inevitable Saturday afternoon or Sunday cable modem failure.
txaggie_08
AG
This is a topic I'm interested in. Going without cable for first time. Currently on a free one-week trial of Sling, once the trial is over I plan on trying out Hulu Live TV for a free month trial to see which I prefer.

Went with AT&T for internet.
LoudestWHOOP!
AG
txaggie_08 said:

This is a topic I'm interested in. Going without cable for first time. Currently on a free one-week trial of Sling, once the trial is over I plan on trying out Hulu Live TV for a free month trial to see which I prefer.

Would appreciate it if you would let me know what you think of HULU Live TV when you get a chance.
txaggie_08
AG
Will do. I really like their channel lineup with the local channels and pretty much all necessary sports channels (all ESPNs including SECN, all Fox sports channels, and CBS-CBSSN). If their stream works well I imagine I'll be going with them. I think the only channel I'd miss would be AMC.
fta09
AG
Our DirecTV hard drive crapped out a few weeks ago, so I signed us up for PSVue. I had been thinking of making the switch for some time anyway. It's worked great for my wife and toddler and I have had no issues watching our baseball games online. Time will tell for football season, but so far so good.
LoudestWHOOP!
AG
fta09 said:

Our DirecTV hard drive crapped out a few weeks ago, so I signed us up for PSVue. I had been thinking of making the switch for some time anyway. It's worked great for my wife and toddler and I have had no issues watching our baseball games online. Time will tell for football season, but so far so good.
PSvue worked well for football, we raise and lower our plan depending on what we watch.
LoudestWHOOP!
AG
Another article about the multiple streaming plans and what they carry and what they work on.

More Streaming TV comparisons
txaggie_08
AG
LoudestWHOOP! said:

txaggie_08 said:

Would appreciate it if you would let me know what you think of HULU Live TV when you get a chance.
I'm definitely going with hulu over sling. I like it's interface better, better streaming, and love all the included sports channels.
tonytx05
AG
We tried Hulu about a year ago, and had problems with the DVR during sports games. If you are recording a game that is live, you can pause and rewind but can't fast forward through commercials. Fast forward only ends up working after the game is over. Otherwise, I love the interface and channel selection.

We're on PS Vue, switch between the lower two plans depending on if we need SEC Network that month or not. I'm hoping to try YouTube eventually, but our house needs Food Network which is still missing there.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.