West Texas
Sponsored by

Let's go west Texas!

3,655 Views | 19 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by SW AG80
BleacherRat
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Well, I'm pretty new to this specific board and was enthralled reading a lot of old posts by the dearly departed Fossil.

Being from Sweetwater, he was writing about my backyard in many posts. It would have been great to shoot the breeze with him here, but I missed my chance.

So what now? Looks like the board is depleted of any story tellers.
I'm pretty sure ol Fossil would want us to keep talkin about west Texas. Shoot, maybe he's sittin in heaven waiting to read more west Texas news here. So let's get started shall we?

Has anyone ever ever driven in to Big Spring and smelled the nice smell of oil? Have you ever flown over Colorado City at night and seen the bright lights of the prison as the only lights around? As you travel past Sweetwater try to count the big windmills?

West Texas is a place like no other. Let's talk about it. Maybe we can give ol Fossil something to smile about.
FancyKetchup14
AG
Grew up in San Angelo. My grandfather ran the feed yard in Ft Stockton for 30+ years. I remember going out and visiting as a kid. We'd go swim at Comanche Springs swimming pool. I think they had a high dive back then. A little farther west we'd visit Balmorhea and go see the pool in the state park. That's a great little oasis in the middle of nowhere. Spent a few weekends out at Prude Ranch in high school. I always enjoyed going out there.

There's no where else on earth quite like West Texas.
BleacherRat
FancyKetchup14 said:

Grew up in San Angelo. My grandfather ran the feed yard in Ft Stockton for 30+ years. I remember going out and visiting as a kid. We'd go swim at Comanche Springs swimming pool. I think they had a high dive back then. A little farther west we'd visit Balmorhea and go see the pool in the state park. That's a great little oasis in the middle of nowhere. Spent a few weekends out at Prude Ranch in high school. I always enjoyed going out there.

There's no where else on earth quite like West Texas.
I love San Angelo.
I always looked forward to going by the Goodyear oval and watch the drivers go round and around the oval. I always wondered how they could pay attention to driving by

going round and round and round and round and round.

I enjoyed riding down Knickerbocker. It was like being in Dallas rather than Sweetwater.
When I was a kid, my Mom would put me on a Greyhound and and ship me to Dallas (Mesquite) and let me live with my brother for the Summer.

One summer in 1969, I was at a swimming pool with the family, and we got notification America landed on the moon. Times were changing.
BillE1976
AG
Grew up in Abilene. Lots of memories of the high school football game growing up. My parents had season tickets to the Abilene High games in the late 50's and early 60's (The Chuck Moser years) Also lots of memories of the West Texas State Fair. Remember seeing the Osmond Brothers (pre Donny and Marie)

It was a good town to grow up in.
BleacherRat
BillE1976 said:

Grew up in Abilene. Lots of memories of the high school football game growing up. My parents had season tickets to the Abilene High games in the late 50's and early 60's (The Chuck Moser years) Also lots of memories of the West Texas State Fair. Remember seeing the Osmond Brothers (pre Donny and Marie)

We always thought of going to Abilene as going to "the city" for us country folks in Sweetwater, As we became high school students, our wild joy riding required a trip to the town of Impact, (which we called six-pack) as place to buy beer. We always had someone over 21 around to make the purchase.

I always remember how I thought 40 miles to Abilene was like a huge trip and when I grew up and stared living in the metroplex, 40 miles would be a one way trek to work..
LoudestWHOOP!
AG
I grew up in Katy outside of Houston, but I grew up in the "little rice farming" town of Katy not what people know of today. When you drove around people would wave when you passed. Something you just got used to. It was just a habit. Then I went to work in Albuquerque for 3 years driving around the biggest city in New Mexico. When we left Albuquerque and came back to Midland in 1993 one of the first things I noticed when I crossed the Texas state line was that friendly wave. I was home again. Never plan on leaving either.
BillE1976
AG
LewP said:

BillE1976 said:

We always thought of going to Abilene as going to "the city" for us country folks in Sweetwater, As we became high school students, our wild joy riding required a trip to the town of Impact, (which we called six-pack) as place to buy beer. We always had someone over 21 around to make the purchase.

I always remember how I thought 40 miles to Abilene was like a huge trip and when I grew up and stared living in the metroplex, 40 miles would be a one way trek to work..
If I had a nickel for every trip to Impact I took, I would have a whole lot of nickels
FishrCoAg
AG
Raised in Rotan, lived in the petroplex for a couple years before moving back here. This part of the world has both changed a lot and remained the same since the 60's. I remember Impact and the county line package stores, along with local bootleggers. All of those are gone now, and most of the towns are wet. If you had told me Rotan would have a legal bar back then, I would have said not in a million years.
TheSheik
AG
Rotan's got a legal bar ??
FishrCoAg
AG
Yep. Beer and wine only by owner's choice. They opened up last May.
Predmid
AG
I was born and raised in Orlando, Florida, but my Mom was born and raised a weird combination of Alpine and Pecos. I'm no fossil and could never tell stories quite like him, but here are a few from my time spent in West Texas and the journey to and from.

So, growing up in Orlando, my father was a professor at UCF. Every couple years or so we would make a grand road trip from Orlando to visit all the Texas family during his time off in the summer. Those road trips must have been hell on my parents because my brother and I just couldn't stand being cooped up in a car that long. Our voracious appetite for back seat battles was the stuff of legend. Trips were not planned around bathroom breaks or hunger or gas prices. They were tied to how long we could stand to be in the back seat without looking at each other else we were going to blows. So...lunch was a picnic at the Swannee river crossing for us to climb on trees and get us to let out some energy. Bathroom breaks were any local park to just run around.

As far as the trip, when we crossed the border from Florida to Alabama, we were half way to Texas (give or take). And then we would cross the border to Texas and we were half-way to Alpine. You could almost hear my dad's spirit break behind the wheel when he saw that first mile marker with 4 digits on I-10.

We'd stop in Austin and San Antonio to check in with our Aunts & Uncles, but the ultimate destination was always the ranch. Grandpa lived in Alpine, but the family ranch was just east of Marathon. Some of my most vivid memories as a child are of that ranch. Growing up in the swamps of Florida, the ranch had it all. Rocks, mountains, neat bugs (I've got a couple scars from scorpion stings on my hands to prove it). Horses. Goats. Even the neighboring property was supposed to have buffalo, but I never saw one there. It was at the ranch I first rode a horse, it was where I first got to drive (an old beat to hell volkswagon beetle that had been converted to a 'dune buggy'.). It was where I first shot a gun (an ancient .22 my grandpa had set up a little rifle range for the grandkids to shoot). I was always in awe of the mountains and pasture lands where with just a bit of climbing, you could see what felt like forever into the distance.

So, one trip out to the ranch, grandpa decided I was old enough to drive his prized possession, the Dune Buggy. A lot of jealousy from the rest of the grandkids to watch as I was the first to drive it. I got pretty good at it pretty quickly, (or so I'm told). At least no one was outright terrified when I got behind the wheel. I had a cousin a couple years younger than I who was begging to drive and would not accept "no" for an answer. "Why does *predmid* get to drive and not me! He's not even from Texas and I come out here all the time". Well, my Uncle convinced grandpa to let him have a turn. We get to a decent clearing in the pasture and grandpa finally gives him a shot. He lasted about 4.5 seconds before wildly swinging the steering wheel back and forth imitating what he saw in cartoons and drove us off the road and straight into a mesquite bush that punctured a tire. I didn't quite understand the words coming out of grandpa's mouth at the time as it was a weird mix of english and what I assumed to be spanish bad words flying out of his mouth. Boy do I wish I could remember exactly what he said. There was no trying to hide his frustration. No one but Grandpa was allowed to drive it the rest of the trip.

The other big highlight of our trips was the Post Dance south of Marathon at Fort Pea Park. It's where I learned to two-step and waltz with the best of them. No cost of going just to go, but if you wanted to dance on the slab, then you had to buy a wristband. I don't know of any other functions like that. A 4 piece band on the side of a concrete slab in the middle of nowhere next to a creek with a concrete dam. It was po-dunk and backwoods as all get out, but they're still some great memories of the whole family getting together for a night of frivolities. I got my first rejection from a girl there. I couldn't have been 9 or 10 and asked another girl about my age to dance and she said no. I didn't take it very well.

Some years later the summer before my senior year of highschool and we did a similar trip. I'll never forget the look of jealousy and amazement when my grandpa just out and out handed me the keys to the dune buggy and said "have fun". Woohoo! First grandchild to drive the dune buggy solo. What it really meant was "haha, you get to take all the grandkids and babysit them all afternoon while the adults do their thing in the house". By that point, I had the keys to the car and could drive them all in that, but everyone wanted rides in the dune buggy. It's amazing what happens in 7 years as perceptions of the dune buggy being this awesome all terrain monster of a vehicle quickly transformed into what it really was. A barely functioning deathtrap of duct-tape and wire holding together a vehicle that was older than the invention of the combustion engine. My 2nd trip out on the thing, the main wires connecting the accelerator & the brakes to the engine came un-done. I did what any teenager would do and tried to finagle the wires and connectors back into place while driving down an old dirt road. Stop the engine? Hell no. I can do this! Distracted driving at its finest as I looped the connectors into place right as I drove into a giant mudhole that soaked everyone in the vehicle from head to toe in muddy water. We headed back to HQ and got a big earful from my mother who was wondering just what in the hell I did to get everyone so dirty.

The whole purpose of that trip before my senior year was to scope out a bunch of colleges I had thought about applying to. We saw UF, FSU, Rice, and a few others, but the last stop was my parents alma-mater Texas A&M. I don't think I spent 30 seconds on campus before I fell in love and knew exactly where I was going for school. The biggest draw was a man by the name of Dr. Carlson, the then Dean of the undergrad Aerospace program. I was debating between Aerospace Engineering and Computer Science. Imagine my surprise as we wander through the engineering buildings and come across the Bright building when this kindly older gentleman walked by and asked if we were visiting. We had long ditched the guided tour as it was boring and stupid, but this man saw us and knew I was a potential enroll-ee. He invited us for a private tour of their facilities and was more than happy to answer all the dumb questions I had about the program. After that tour, A&M was the one and only place I applied and it was the best thing for me.

This bit had nothing to do with West Texas, but going to A&M and eventually graduating in Civil engineering led me to my current home of Midland where I've been working as a civil engineer all across west Texas for nearly 10 years. I served clients from Monahans, to Gardendale, to the bustling metropolises of Mentone & Pyote. From near about El Paso in Sierra Blanca to near about Austin in Menard, Eden, & Brady, and just as far North and south from the Mining camp in Shafter to the high plains of Borden County, Ackerly and Lubbock. It was an honor and a pleasure to serve these communities in helping them solve water and wastewater problems facing dying towns.

I've since changed companies and now almost exclusively work in Midland and Ector counties, but a small part of me misses the old clients. They're all kind and honest folks who enjoy a different pace of life than those I-35 and east.
TheSheik
AG
Great story telling !
Predmid
AG
TheSheik said:

Great story telling !
And plenty of spelling and grammar errors to boot!

EDIT: And I realize that it was rather presumptuous of me to assume that your reply was to my post. Oh well.
TheSheik
AG
Predmid said:

TheSheik said:

Great story telling !

EDIT: And I realize that it was rather presumptuous of me to assume that your reply was to my post. Oh well.
no, it was and I meant it
Predmid
AG
Why thank you.

Now, anyone here from the Alpine/Marathon area?
mellison
AG
I'm from Alpine. My family has history in the area dating back to the late 1870's. We were a family of cattle drivers that rose to fame and fortune after the Civil War. We would gather cattle in South Texas and Northern Mexico and drive them north to the railroad in Kansas or west to the settlers in California and the mountain west. The family was based in the Martindale/Lockhart area but would establish outposts along the cattle trails. Some of those cattle drives passed through Far West Texas. Barbed wire eventually won over the free range drivers and I guess we didn't adapt well to ranching, or fortune...

Three generations of family lived in Sierra Blanca until not long ago when the last one finally moved out. Still, traces our having lived in the area can be found. Some land deeds will show that we were the original owners of remote tracts; the cornerstone of the Marfa Courhouse bears our name; and we are even credited with first reporting the Marfa Lights. Even though I no longer have family out there, I try to visit as often as I can as I have a lot of close friends out that way.

The house I grew up in was over 100 years old and was made out of adobe with raised wooden floors, high ceilings, and transom windows throughout. Pancho Villa was said to have used our basement as a hideout, but I have no proof of that.

I remember going to the Post Dance every year as well. I also remember we able to buy beer in Terlingua as little kids as long as we said the beer was for the Mayor, Clay Henry. Growing up in that part of the world was quite a privilege. It came with freedoms and responsibilities that I can't imagine having grown up without.
mellison
AG
Oh, and I sure miss Fossil. I really appreciated his contributions to the board.
BleacherRat
Predmid said:

TheSheik said:

Great story telling !

I really enjoyed your story.

Thanks for sharing!
BleacherRat
Did someone mention Alpine?

I started watching this show and now going to Alpine is on my bucket list. Amtrak and all.

Predmid
AG
Hey look, my wife's former neighbor.
SW AG80
AG
My great grandfather settled in Alpine shortly after the civil war. My mother was raised in Alpine and my parents met at Sul Ross. I was born and raised in Big Lake but spent most of my adult life in Sweetwater. In November of my Jr. year in high school I went to Alpine to spend the weekend with 4 friends, Mo who now owns the ranch, Clay, Pete, George and Scotty. Mo's mother had grown up with my mother in Alpine.

We spent the weekend at the hunting cabin on Mo's ranch. We took 2 vehicles with me, Mo and Clay in one. The other 3 were in another vehicle and got stuck in mud. We all got into one pickup and after getting to the cabin the other 3 took the pickup back to pull the other vehicle out of the mud. About 30 minutes later Scotty is seen running toward the cabin yelling about someone shooting him, He then falls down and blood is coming from his face. Bullets starting hitting around Scotty but not hitting him. Mo, Clay and myself grab our guns, hiding behind windows and door jams like John Wayne. When we could tell where the shooting was coming from we lay down fire towards the rocks. Shooting like I had never heard before with a 3030,243 and 270. We fired off 10-15 rounds before we heard the other 2 yelling from behind the rocks that it was just them, not bandidos and to quit shooting at them. When they were pulling the vehicle out of the mud the chain came loose and hit Scotty in the face. That is where the blood came from. They were playing a trick on us that could have gone horribly wrong.

I'm still friends with Mo and Clay. In fact, Mo went to A&M also and is living back on the ranch. I will be out there next month for work but will see him for dinner at least one night. Mo, Clay and I still laugh about that day and are still thankful that their prank did not result in something really bad happening.

These names have NOT been changed to protect the guilty.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.