West Texas
Sponsored by

West Texas .... This is God's country

5,725 Views | 29 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by C4D
fossil_ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Cannot understand why this is happening. In former times this was the place to be...folks from Abilene to El Paso hung out here... in the old days it was a necessity for hitching rides to and from Aggieland. Lots of pride in the Big Country to the CapRock to the Permian Basin. Good people all. Let us bring em back.
RigsTx
AG
I agree Fossil. As a native West Texan, I love this country. It may not be the prettiest, but you can't beat the sunsets or the people.

I enjoy being able to live/work out here. I just wish it wasn't so dang far to Aggieland.
Magnus
I do have some fond memories of Mitchell County with my ex. Loved the people.
fossil_ag
AG
Colorado City the County Seat Mitchell County as I recall from my eaerly years...
C4D
Magnus
I actually was just thinking about trying to do some contract work with their county hospital there. Maybe I will call them up. I live in central Texas, work on the coast 2 weeks a month. I like seeing as much of the state as I can.
Magnus
Fossil....retired Air Force. You wouldn't happen to have a phD in space weather would you?
UTExan
Where does west Texas start. I am from Ranger and we considered it west Texas. Ft Worth Star Telegram used to say their city was where the west began.
theonefromnolancounty12
AG
As a native West Texan, I have always considered Eastland to be the easternmost town that was West Texas. I'm not sure why exactly. If I had to guess, I would say because that's the farthest thing east I remember seeing on the KTXS weather radar out of Abilene every night. Also, there's a lot more water and lakes around there than where I was from, so I just considered it to be not West Texas, accordingly.
Canyon99
Grew up near Midland and we always felt anything west of San Angelo was considered west Texas.
texag_89
This is a good topic right here...... As a near life-long son of the Concho Valley and San Angelo, HWY 83 makes a lot of sense as the dividing line:

Also, anyone living east of I-35 is in East Texas, don't care what the people in East Texas say about it....Humidity levels alone mandate that line of demarcation!!

_89
FishrCoAg
AG
I would probably move the line a bit further east, maybe to 281, or at least to 183. And I wouldn't argue with anyone that said west Texas starts at Ft. Worth.
theonefromnolancounty12
AG
This prompted another thought in my head...

Do you consider Lubbock to be in the panhandle or in West Texas?
FishrCoAg
AG
theonefromnolancounty12 said:

Yes!

Edit to add to my smartass answer, Lubbock has a lot of big ranch country fairly close, and a west Texas kind of attitude with panhandle weather.
Canyon99

Neither. It is in the south plains. It's its own place.
theonefromnolancounty12
AG
So where does that put Canyon?
Canyon99

So where does that put Canyon?

Panhandle
HtownAg92
AG
I think you would have to start near 183 so that you can include Breckenridge in the West Texas boundary. You could jut out a little farther east to pick up Ranger and Stephenville.
UTExan
Walter Prescott Webb moved from east Texas to Eastland County as a child and it profoundly influenced his thinking as a historian about water issues, etc. that is where he began his definition of west Texas starting there.
EMc77
AG
Zane Gray said the west begins at the 100th meridian, which is about 20 miles east of Angelo.

Luckily, Wall USA is west of the 100th and that is where I lived when I still lived in West Texas!
LoudestWHOOP!
AG
As a kid everything west of Katy proper was "West" Texas.
FishrCoAg
AG
EMc77 said:

Zane Gray said the west begins at the 100th meridian, which is about 20 miles east of Angelo.

Luckily, Wall USA is west of the 100th and that is where I lived when I still lived in West Texas!
Ditto for Rotan!
rbcs_2
AG
I always considered Del Rio to be the Eastern boundary of the West. I grew up in Alpine though, so my idea of what West Texas is probably doesn't match a lot of others.
aggiedata
AG
Llano is not. Brady is not. Eden is. You can see the landscape change on 87.
TKNR_Ags_co21
AG
Grew up in Andrews and was a Midland Lee grad.. Played some JUCO baseball and when playing against Cisco College, one of my coaches came up to me and asked me if it felt good to be back in West Texas.

I looked around at the topography and promptly told him that West Texas doesn't begin until you hit Abilene. I'm a big fan of the HWY 83 divider
C4D
AG
West Texas

Here is the line.

Del Rio up 277 to Christoval. Draw a line from there to Eden. From Eden go North up 83 to Childress. From there draw a straight line bending just south of Post, then over to Hobbs NM.
Lubbock and Levelland are not West Texas. Lamesa is.

This is West Texas.
FishrCoAg
AG
C4D said:

West Texas

Here is the line.

Del Rio up 277 to Christoval. Draw a line from there to Eden. From Eden go North up 83 to Childress. From there draw a straight line bending just south of Post, then over to Hobbs NM.

This is West Texas.
Post is definitely west Texas.
theonefromnolancounty12
AG
FishrCoAg said:

C4D said:

West Texas

Here is the line.

This is West Texas.
Post is definitely west Texas.
Blue star for a quality reply that I agree with.
texag_89
I like mine it you are needing just 1 road (hwy 83), but I like yours if you are changing roads and directions, however, hard not to count Telegraph, Roosevelt and Ft. McKavett in WT.
SW AG80
AG
Changing the train of thought here, but my son (Class of '10) has a good friend whom he met at A&M. This friend is from the Victoria area. The friend married a girl he met at A&M (she is from Houston area I think). They lived in Houston for a few years as he is a petroleum engineer. They were transferred to Midland in December. They have already decided that they are never leaving West Texas. They love the slower pace and he likes all the hunting opportunities. Good to see people moving to West Texas, especially since they have no ties out there.
C4D
AG
Midland is high paced for West Texas. IMO

funny how its all in perspective.

Glad they are enjoying it.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.