Amarillo and Canyon - Recommendations

3,694 Views | 17 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Aggie1
Hollabeck
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I'll be in Amarillo and Canyon next week visiting family with my wife and toddler. Apologies if there is already a thread that covers this, but thought I'd get some insight from the locals on places we should eat or other spots of interest we should check out.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
CanyonAg77
AG
On mobile right now, so I can't answer easily until later

Do a search for Palo Duro Canyon. Lots and lots of threads

There's a nice little playground at Medipark. Museum in Canyon is excellent

More later
CanyonAg77
AG
Read this thread and the links, then ask if you need more info

https://texags.com/forums/39/topics/3029720
cottonpatchag
AG
Don't forget to tour the new state of the art savior of the animal kingdom texas tech vet school while you are there. They are in the building stages to care for the mother of dragons babies.
Bluecat_Aggie94
AG
Big Texan is fun and touristy, but don't expect amazing food.

CanyonAg77
AG
Yeah, it saddens me that we don't have a great steak house here in cattle country. I'd put Hoffbrau in Amarillo near the top of the list, though.

There's a place in the middle of nowhere north of Lake Meredith I'd love to try. Double XXL Steakhouse. Sounds fantastic
TequilaMockingbird
CanyonAg77 said:

Yeah, it saddens me that we don't have a great steak house here in cattle country. I'd put Hoffbrau in Amarillo near the top of the list, though.

There's a place in the middle of nowhere north of Lake Meredith I'd love to try. Double XXL Steakhouse. Sounds fantastic
I ate at a place across from the mall (on the other side of I40) a couple of years back that was really good. Next time I was in town it was gone. Too bad.
CanyonAg77
AG
One of the chain restaurants, Texas Roadhouse. Yep,it was pretty decent, but I wish we had an outstanding one.
84AGEC
AG
Try barrel and pie in canyon and palace coffee
And see the play Texas

Take in a sod game

TequilaMockingbird
CanyonAg77 said:

One of the chain restaurants, Texas Roadhouse. Yep,it was pretty decent, but I wish we had an outstanding one.
LOL it wasn't Texas Roadhouse. I don't think this place was a chain.

So wait, there's not a Texas Roadhouse in Amarillo?
CanyonAg77
AG
Got my roadhouses mixed up. It was Logan's Roadhouse I was thinking of. There is a Texas Roadhouse off Georgia, south of I-40.

Even then, I'm screwed up. The chain we lost was Joes Crabshack.

As I think about it more, maybe it was the Red Barn? I think it's Longhorn Steakhouse now. We used to go to the Red Barn at east I-40 and Lakeside, decades ago. My wife's coworker told her his black son in law was treated poorly and we quit going. Never did go to the newer (now closed) store on West I-40.
CanyonAg77
AG
Still a month away from the play Texas!
TequilaMockingbird
CanyonAg77 said:

Got my roadhouses mixed up. It was Logan's Roadhouse I was thinking of. There is a Texas Roadhouse off Georgia, south of I-40.

As I think about it more, maybe it was the Red Barn? I think it's Longhorn Steakhouse now. We used to go to the Red Barn at east I-40 and Lakeside, decades ago. My wife's coworker told her his black son in law was treated poorly and we quit going. Never did go to the newer (now closed) store on West I-40.
I'm pretty sure it was Red Barn.
Jimmy The Saint
TequilaMockingbird said:

CanyonAg77 said:

I'm pretty sure it was Red Barn.

Country Barn
TequilaMockingbird
Whatever it was called, it was much better than the Big Texan.
CanyonAg77
AG
CanyonAg77 said:

Still a month away from the play Texas!
They surprised me this year. Seems like mid-June is the usual date, but they started yesterday.

https://www.amarillo.com/news/20190531/preserving-history-texas-outdoor-musical-kicks-off-54th-season-in-palo-duro-canyon
Bluecat_Aggie94
AG
CanyonAg77 said:

Is Embers still there? That's a decent steak.
CanyonAg77
AG
XXL Steakhouse
Aggie1
AG
Houston cares

https://www.click2houston.com/entertainment/texas-trips-5-landmarks-to-hit-in-amarillo
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.