a Panhandle visit

2,714 Views | 6 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Synopsis
agfan1030
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Spent a few days in the Panhandle last week. Since this is a slow board thought I would leave some thoughts.

Palo Duro Canyon has always been a bucket-type list for me. Finally made it. Beautiful area. Wonderful place for an active couple/family .... camping, hiking, biking, horseback riding, photography. (Wish I was in better health to enjoy those activities.)

Ranching Heritage Center/Lubbuck was my husband's wish to visit. (Mine, too as we both have ag/cattle/horses background). What a wonderful preservation of history. Spent 3 hours walking the grounds.

For Mexican food in Lubbock Cantina Laredo was wonderful...maybe a little pricey but the food and service was great.

Canyon, TX .... what a nice little city. West Texas A&M has a lovely campus .... Feldman's Wrong Way Diner is an interesting restaurant. Model trains running overhead. Enjoyed the hamburger and fries.

Plainview .... well I understand its name

Drove through Gail in Borden County. Peaked my interest (being a retired school teacher/librarian) after seeing it is a county school district and also a county seat and so SMALL. Did some reading on Gail and Borden County. Very interesting reading.

Needed more time to visit other places of interest. But, there are plenty interesting places to visit in our Texas Panhandle.
CanyonAg77
AG
Thanks for your thoughts. Feldmans is decent, but about #3 or lower on my list for Canyon.

Put Caprock Canyons on your list for next time, as well as the Panhandle Plains Museum. One of the top regional museums in the US

The Ranching Heritage Center is definitely a Do Not Miss for Lubbock. If you have time, the museum next to it isn't bad. And the Windmill Museum across town has some unique stuff

I knew some people who taught school in Gail years ago. Class sizes of 6-7 per grade. Lots of them were cowboys who were heirs of big ranching and oil fortunes. The teachers said it's hard to motive students who already have it made.
Bluecat_Aggie94
AG
Glad you enjoyed your visit! Come again!
topoftexasag
AG
Glad you came! Always like to hear thoughts from visitors! I am a panhandle native, but have never spent much time in Palo Duro Canyon. My wife rented a cabin for my 30th birthday this last week and it was spectacular. Highly recommend Dove's rest. https://imgur.com/a/cshcMdj
agfan1030
I think I took that same picture. (from visitors center area??)
CanyonAg77
AG
Doves rest are about the best private accommodations you can get near the park. The state park cabins on the rim have a spectacular view, but are more primitive
topoftexasag
AG
This was actually taken from the back porch of the cabin we stayed in, but the Canyon sure is beautiful from the visitors center as well!
Synopsis
Palo Duro Canyon has been on my bucket list for some time now. I've never been there, even though driving through the area many years ago and I could kick myself. It's a hidden gem, IMO.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.