West Texas

2,417 Views | 5 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Aggie1
Aggie1
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
https://player.vimeo.com/video/22132017?title=0&byline=0&portrait=0

Wyman, the photographer, used to live in the old jail in Benjamin, TX. The photo of the coiled rattlesnake appeared on the cover of a wildlife magazine in the 80's. He said, there were times he crawled a long way on his belly to get a good shot of a wild animal.
The music is by Doug Smith. Doug is from Petersburg, Texas and lives south of town. Doug plays by ear- He cannot read music, but has many CDs. A pickup accident left Doug paralyzed and he does not play anymore.
Most of the pictures were taken in the rolling plains (cap rock to Seymour , the Fork, 6666, and Waggoner Ranches. There are some scenes in Palo Duro Canyon .
Please take a moment and view....I don't know if I've ever come across such a skillful combination of music and amazing animal and landscape photography.
The changes in the tempo perfectly compliment the scenery. It is simply a beautiful portrayal of our magnificent home state!
Dandy 76
AG
Thanks Aggie1 for sharing that - some truly beautiful and amazing photography! And like you said the music really compliments it.
jtp01
AG
Some friends of mine are close friends with Doug. I've seen this many times and enjoy it each time it comes back up. Thanks for posting.
CanyonAg77
AG
Doug Smith has passed, hasn't he?
Aggie1
AG
Yes

http://lubbockonline.com/entertainment/2016-06-06/popular-west-texas-musician-doug-smith-found-dead-monday-morning

Posted June 6, 2016

Quote:

Doug Smith musician, composer and recording artist was found dead at his Lubbock home Monday morning.
The popular pianist, who was raised in Kermit and made his home near Petersburg for many years, was 52.

A one-vehicle accident on a lonely highway early on July 25, 2007, left Smith in "constant, searing nerve pain," according to music producer and friend Alan Crossland. Smith was diagnosed as a quadriplegic, and confined to a wheelchair.

Smith's life changed on July 25, 2007. Having visited friends until 1 a.m., he climbed into his 2004 Toyota truck and began driving home on FM 789. He fell asleep at the wheel.
After the truck's tires hit a bar ditch, Smith awoke. He recalled overcompensating by jerking the wheel and flipped his truck onto its roof. Smith broke his neck.
Still wearing his seat belt, Smith hung upside down for almost three hours, his cell phone visible but out of reach. "

In 2000, Smith's powerful composition "West Texas" began reaching thousands more people via the Omni Theatre at the Science Spectrum. Sandy Henry, the museum's executive director, said, "We wanted to produce music to illustrate the capability of the (Omni's) sound system. We wanted to use local music, and were very lucky when Doug Smith brought 'West Texas' and worked with us on all of the channeling."

jtp01
AG
Wow. I guess I was living under a rock at the time or just missed the article.

Doug's work on West Texas was amazing.
Aggie1
AG
http://www.landreport.com/americas-100-largest-landowners/

http://www.landreport.com/2017/02/2016-land-report-100-stan-kroenke/

Quote:

Quote:
No. 4 Stan Kroenke
1,380,000 acres (up 522,000 acres)
Earlier this year, the owner of the Los Angeles Rams, the Denver Nuggets, and numerous other sports franchises added the historic Waggoner Ranch to his stable of ranch holdings. Spanning six Texas counties and covering almost 800 square miles, the 510,527-acre ranch's asking price was $725 million; no terms were disclosed. "This is an incredible opportunity and an even greater responsibility," said Kroenke in a press release. "We are honored to assume ownership of the Waggoner a true Texas and American landmark and are deeply committed to continuing the proud legacy of W.T. 'Tom' Waggoner, his family, and his descendants." Kroenke Ranches also acquired Wyoming's Difficulty Creek Ranch near Medicine Bow, which includes 11,260 deeded acres and 10,976 leased acres.
The 2016 Land Report is presented by LandLeader, a national recreational real estate marketing company. To learn more about their services, visit www.LandLeader.com.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.