Once Upon A Town / Mclean, Texas

2,407 Views | 6 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by CanyonAg77
powerbiscuit
How long do you want to ignore this user?
CanyonAg77
AG
Thanks for this. Neat camera work. Delbert Trew used to write a history column for the Amarillo paper, hadn't seen it in a while. I wasn't sure he was still around.

I've driven by the 'bob wire' museum when it was closed, I had no idea it was that big.

I've seen the POW site on Google Maps, never went there, as it only seems to be a few scattered foundations now.

Red River Steakhouse is good, I recommend stopping there.

West of there is the Jericho Gap. A really bad stretch of Route 66 that was unpaved until the 1940s. Local farmers used to make a little extra cash pulling cars out of the muddy parts with their horse teams. Legend has it they would bring out wagon loads of barrels of water each night.....

I have a few photos of the ghost town of Jericho, will try to post them.
CanyonAg77
AG
Don't know how well copying from Facebook will work....

snizzler22
AG
Thanks for posting that. Company I work for has a place that borders that cemetery. We call that ranch the Jericho. Now I know why!
CanyonAg77
AG
The cemetery is about 1.5 to 2 miles west and a quarter south of this building, which I believe is an old motel. The rest of the town was a few hundred yards north of the tourist court,along the railroad. Town and railroad are both gone, but you can see the old RR roadbed on Google Earth and on the ground.
CanyonAg77
AG
So here's the Google Maps link to the tourist court above. You can follow the road to the left and find the cemetery. And zoom out to the north to find the old RR roadbed.

I'm not 100% certain, but my guess is that the old Route 66 followed County Road B on that map. If you pan to the right (east) I think Route 66 moved closer to the railroad. It was somewhere between Jericho and McClean, where Route 66 climbed the caprock, where the Jericho Gap was, if I guess correctly.

https://www.google.com/maps/@35.1693686,-100.9082899,103m/data=!3m1!1e3

And a pretty good description of the area and the Route 66 alignment.

http://www.theroute-66.com/jericho.html

Keep in mind that there is often more than one old alignment of Route 66. For instance, it probably did run down County Road B for a while, but was switched to the current I-40 location when it was paved.
jtp01
AG
Canyon,

Do you know the owners of the place in those pictures?

I leased a place that had buildings looking a lot like those 14 years ago. It was an awesome place, not many deer but some great times.
CanyonAg77
AG
No, no clue. I actually tried to find the owner, as a place just NW of the old tourist court had some interesting looking vehicles. It's a long way from my stomping grounds, we just were out wandering the countryside one day. We also went to Lake McClellan, where we saw an osprey catch a fish. That was cool.

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.