Identity theft PSA

1,747 Views | 6 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by CheeseSndwch
lunchbox
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Cross-posting my thread from the Outdoors board for my Houston peeps.

https://texags.com/forums/34/topics/3616996
lb sand
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Thanks for posting. I read your thread on the OB and more about sim swapping.
It sounds like those scammers typically target high net worth individuals.
Therefore you must be a typical Texag multi millionaire.
What the hell are you doing with Cricket?
TXTransplant
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Thanks for sharing. Just locked mine and my parents' numbers.
lunchbox
How long do you want to ignore this user?
lb sand said:

Thanks for posting. I read your thread on the OB and more about sim swapping.
It sounds like those scammers typically target high net worth individuals.
Therefore you must be a typical Texag multi millionaire.
What the hell are you doing with Cricket?

We had been with them forever...$100 for 4 lines was easy and we never changed.
dummble
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I tried to lock my accounts, but it turns out I have 2 separate prepaid accounts, 1 live post paid account and 1 deactivated account all on the same email address. Hopefully the thieves will spend the hours on the phone and sort that out for me.
drumboy
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Thanks for sharing and I made sure to lock ours down (also Cricket).

I had my phone stolen in NOLA a couple years ago and went through a similar cluster F. I noticed it missing walking to the hotel at 3AM, Ubered to the Apple Store the next morning and quickly realized how bad it was when I finally got access to my gmail and saw all of the banking/credit card activity. They changed my iCloud PW quickly, left the family share, and starting opening accounts, transferring, selling crypto, etc.

Also, Apple is useless trying to recover a stolen iCloud account.
[url=https://ts.la/erik936611]https://ts.la/erik936611[/url]
Use my referral link to buy a Tesla and get awards like 3 months of Full Self-Driving Capability.

Schedule a Tesla Demo Drive using my referral link.
CheeseSndwch
How long do you want to ignore this user?
This recently happened to my father (a high net worth individual).

Apparently he decided to bundle his cell service with Comcast Xfinity and woke up one morning unable to access/use his phone. He went to the Xfinity Store and they set him up with a new number and I went into full damage control after receiving his text from his new number.

I had him alert all of his financial institutions and his financial advisor.

The Xfinity store employees were pretty useless and according to them there was nothing they could do. I reported (link) the fraudulent activity to escalate the situation and after a few days my Dad's phone number was recovered.

Dealing with all of this remotely in the middle of the work week made for a stressful day.

F' scammers.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1
 
×
subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.