Houston
Sponsored by

ken hoffman dead

8,730 Views | 25 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by AgCPA95
sts7049
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
RIP to a houston media legend

BohunkAg
AG
Man he was a great one. That sucks.
drwong
AG
He was the commencement speaker for my high school my junior year. Talked about Funky Cold Medina. Meanwhile, my class got Tom DeLay the following year who tried to play it cool by saying "party on Sharpstown" (this was in the midst of Wayne's World).
Sea Speed
AG
His weekly column was the first thing I would look for in the paper when I was a kid. RIP.
jja79
AG
How old was he?
Agasaurus Tex
AG
I was a big fan of his columns but never heard why he suddenly left the Chronicle.
spider96
AG
Agasaurus Tex said:

I was a big fan of his columns but never heard why he suddenly left the Chronicle.

I remember listening to him and David Nuno back in '08 on 1560 AM. Always entertaining.
terradactylexpress
He's been complaining about his power still being out, lets blame this one center point as well
[img]http://www.unicron.us/tf1985/cartoon/dinobots2.jpg[/img]
MAROON
AG
jja79 said:

How old was he?

Probably early 60's. His son was on my son's little league team one year. I knew Ken - he was funny and the original NY curmudgeon. That was sort of his schtick.

I'm hearing he died in an accident at his Lake Conroe house. Possibly trying to fix a jet ski ramp that had been damaged in the storm - but that pure speculation at the moment.
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
Damn. Hoffy was funny.
maroon barchetta
I swapped emails with Lance Zerlein some back in the day. Once I sent him a question about an odd situation in a tennis match. Asked him if he knew someone that could give a ruling.

He emailed Hoffman, who was big into tennis. Hoffman answered my question and then ended his reply to Lance with "now quit bothering me!"

I enjoyed his drive-thru gourmet reviews and any insight he gave on concerts or music.

Sad to hear this.
rononeill
Man this hits. I played pick up basketball w him all through high school in the mid 90s. Came back to the park after a couple years of college to which he greets me with: man, great to see you; glad you haven't OD'd yet.

Great guy- it was always cool to see his column and think, that's my buddy. RIP.
BohunkAg
AG
sts7049
AG
https://houston.culturemap.com/news/city-life/ken-hoffman-death-memories-obituary/
WestGalvestonAggie
Damn. A Houston legend. Truly one of the best there will ever be in Houston media. This sucks.
"I always thought Roy Acuff was probably an *******. I’m a Hank Williams fan."

-Steve Earle
Scantron882
AG
sad stuff, RIP
schmendeler
AG
I always enjoyed his fast food reviews
AgLA06
AG
That's a shame. I really enjoyed reading his stuff back in the day.

We have a very similar personality.
Big Cat `93
AG
Probably the only Houston columnist I read as much as Mickey Herskowitz. I was truly saddened to hear about this.
BohunkAg
AG
Big Cat `93 said:

Probably the only Houston columnist I read as much as Mickey Herskowitz. I was truly saddened to hear about this.
Leon Hale was a guy I enjoyed a lot back in the day.
I Am A Critic
AgLA06 said:

That's a shame. I really enjoyed reading his stuff back in the day.

We have a very similar personality.
I've never heard anyone call Ken Hoffman an *******.
Username checks out.
TX04Aggie
AG
RIP. When I first moved to Houston my aunt who lived here was a big Hoffman fan and she told me to start reading his stuff and it was in a way how I became a Houstonian by reading his funny and direct opinions and thoughts on everything.
BaileyAg
AG
Damn.
When i used to get the paper his column was always must-read for me. Not being raised here, i learned a lot about H-town through his columns.
RIP
Coog97
Losing Ken Hoffman and John Nova Lomax in the span of just over a year... brutal.

Probably the two most preeminent, contemporary raconteurs of our community are suddenly gone.
“Things weren’t gentle and politically correct in those days. We weren’t candy asses. Okay?”
-Frank Borman

“Who are you to doubt El Dandy? ‘Cause this guy’s a serious professional.”
-Bret Hart
Biz Ag
AG
He used to have a bit in his column called "Questions I get questions!"

I wrote to him: "Is it just me, or does Mike Newlin sound a lot like Homer Simpson on Rockets' broadcasts?"

He published my question in the paper with the response "Doh!"

I'd occasionally see him riding his bike around West U.
AgCPA95
AG
May need to try this

https://houston.culturemap.com/news/restaurants-bars/ken-hoffman-union-kitchen-sandwich/
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.