Houston
Sponsored by

Decent Chance of Snow or Wintry Precipitation This Weekend?

8,643 Views | 60 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by evestor1
Agz_2003
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Space City weather seems to think so: https://spacecityweather.com/could-the-houston-area-see-snow-on-sunday-the-answer-is-somewhat-complicated/
ptothemo
AG
A five car pileup just happened solely based on the possibility.
TarponChaser
WRAP YOUR PIPES!!!
Cromagnum
AG
Wrap your pets and bring your pipes in.
Al Bula
AG
How does this work during a pandemic? Do the Brendas just log off early since the (im)probable weak ass snow could freeze the internet lines?
SquanchyAg
TarponChaser said:

WRAP YOUR PIPES!!!
that's solid advice no matter what the temperature is
rilloaggie
AG

If you aren't sure which pipe to wrap, the correct answer remains, all of them. Saw this before a forecasted freeze a few years back in a neighborhood I was working in at the time.
FHKChE07
AG
I love how they only wrapped the pipe going to the house. I would be worried about the supply line rupturing and having a gas leak.
Ferris Wheel Allstar
AG
ptothemo said:

A five car pileup just happened solely based on the possibility.
must not have turned their hazard lights on.
Agz_2003
AG
Update

AgFlyGuy
AG
I might be wrong, but why wrap a natural gas line? And why would you be concerned it would rupture?
Agz_2003
AG
AgFlyGuy said:

I might be wrong, but why wrap a natural gas line? And why would you be concerned it would rupture?
That was the joke
RynoAg
AG
TarponChaser
Still relevant.

HalifaxAg
AG
FHKChE07 said:

I love how they only wrapped the pipe going to the house. I would be worried about the supply line rupturing and having a gas leak.
You didn't do so good in physics class did you?
FHKChE07
AG
Yeah, I know. I'm not a moron.
aggietony2010
AG
Nope. The stupid pipe insurance mailers have made it clear that's the gas company's problem.
Jugstore Cowboy
AG
Am I the only one who uses the lighter test to see if the gas is frozen?
78_Pacecar
AG
[url=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zRUJ-4Y400Y][/url]

0:28
The Great Waller Co. Meth Lab Explosion of Ninety-Six
YouTube Buffalo Warfeather - Topic
Aug 15, 2019
FHKChE07
AG
So in recent years, there was a story about during one of the polar vortexes, farmers in Alberta were lighting straw fires under their propane tanks because it was too cold to vaporize the gas so they couldn't have their backup heat. That takes things a little bit further than I would like too.
Cromagnum
AG
Meh.

BMX Bandit
Does it really ever get cold enough to need to wrap pipes? How cold does it need to be for how long for pipe freezing to be an issue of concern?
SJEAg
AG
BMX Bandit said:

Does it really ever get cold enough to need to wrap pipes? How cold does it need to be for how long for pipe freezing to be an issue of concern?

Every few years there is a cold spell that will take out basically every unwrapped/undrained sprinkler PVB. They go down before anything else. Teens or low 20s seems to do it quick, or an extended stretch of upper 20s. Once maybe ten years ago it didnt warm above freezing for 2 days and a quarter of the neighborhood had rivers going down their driveway.

FHKChE07
AG
Three years ago when it froze, so many PVBs ruptured in my neighboorhood that it was affecting my water pressure in my house. I roamed around the neighborhood in freezing weather turning off as many as I could find.
Aggie Hunter
AG
rilloaggie said:

If you aren't sure which pipe to wrap, the correct answer remains, all of them. Saw this before a forecasted freeze a few years back in a neighborhood I was working in at the time.

You must be confused about that picture, they are not worried about the freeze they are stopping the gas leak.
TXTransplant
SJEAg said:

BMX Bandit said:

Every few years there is a cold spell that will take out basically every unwrapped/undrained sprinkler PVB. They go down before anything else. Teens or low 20s seems to do it quick, or an extended stretch of upper 20s. Once maybe ten years ago it didnt warm above freezing for 2 days and a quarter of the neighborhood had rivers going down their driveway.

There were quite a few in my hood when we had that ice in December and again in January a couple of years ago. Went out for my morning walk, and several neighbors had geysers in their side yards.

What was that...2017-2018?
94chem
rilloaggie said:

I have a family friend who was renting to a neurosurgeon at TMC. She told him to wrap his pipes, and on a intuitive whim, stopped by the house to see if he had done so... only to find out that he had wrapped the downspouts on the gutters.
94chem
AgFlyGuy said:

You gotta keep it from pulling vacuum and imploding.
Jugstore Cowboy
AG
BMX Bandit said:

I've had the water in the pipes freeze when I lived in an old pier and beam house in Rice Military w/ no central heat. But never had anything burst from that. Just took a while to get running water again.
Funky Winkerbean
AG
Does snow kill Covid?
wessimo
AG
Radar showing snow but just hard cold rain in the heights.
htxag09
AG
Yeah, pulled up my phone and the forecast seems a little overly hopeful

kubiak03
AG
Says heavy snow on phone but just sleet up in spring. Seems it won't make it far enough south to get snow
Mucho austin
AG
Freezing rain in kingwood

I could make an ice ball from the buildup on my car hood
agz win
AG
Sleet in Livingston area. Started early afternoon.

I'm so ready for Spring.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.