Houston
Sponsored by

Humble Red Light Cameras

1,979 Views | 14 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by fire09
Mr.Bond
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I just got a red light citation from February. Watching the video it's a joke. I clearly came to a stop before turning, regardless didn't Abbott ban these a year ago? I read some cities couldn't break their contract with the money grabbing red light company in Arizona....no idea what that has to do with the law

My question is, am I legally obligated to pay it?

If I don't what's the worst that will happen? Sent Collections agency?

Thanks in advance for the help
Im looking for Ray Finkle.... and a clean pair of shorts. Im just a very big Finkle fan. This is my Graceland, sir.

Diggity
AG
did you achieve "rockback"?
TarponChaser
I didn't know there were any left. I thought they all had to be taken down. Where in Humble was this?
agnerd
AG
Link to bill text

Quote:

(1)AAthe local authority may continue to operate the system under that ordinance and under the terms of that contract until the expiration date specified in the contract as the contract existed on May 7, 2019; and

(2)AAthe photographic traffic signal enforcement system, and any proceeding initiated or civil or administrative penalty imposed after the effective date of this Act are governed by the applicable law in effect immediately before the effective date of this Act, and the former law is continued in effect for that purpose.
Dang they may have got you there
jellycheese
AG
I believe the law allows the municipality to keep the cameras until the existing contract expires.

Was this at 1960 and 59? I see the light flashing every morning on my way to work.
drumboy
AG
How will they enforce it if you don't pay?
94chem
One (of many) advantages of moving my club membership from Sam's to Costco was no longer having to drive that stretch of 1960. Several cameras over there, and nerve-wracking to constantly be worrying that I might get caught in an intersection when the light turns, or have my bumper a foot past a blurred out white line, etc. Even if I'm innocent, still have to waste time, elevate blood pressure, yell at clouds...
Mr.Bond
AG
TarponChaser said:

I didn't know there were any left. I thought they all had to be taken down. Where in Humble was this?

1960 area
Im looking for Ray Finkle.... and a clean pair of shorts. Im just a very big Finkle fan. This is my Graceland, sir.

Mr.Bond
AG
drumboy said:

How will they enforce it if you don't pay?

I believe it just goes to collections. Yea I'm definitely not paying it

Mr.Bond
AG
jellycheese said:

Was this at 1960 and 59? I see the light flashing every morning on my way to work.

Yup

Courtesy Flush
AG
I have gotten them in both port Lavaca and in bastrop. I never paid any of them.
Jack Cheese
AG
** I am not an attorney, just an internet doofus so exercise due skepticism **

My understanding is that state law prohibits municipalities from sending these to collections, or at least in such a way that it shows up on your credit report. The municipality can send you nasty letters. That's about it.

Their only recourse is to send reports of unpaid citations to local taxes offices. The local tax office *may* deny your vehicle registration until the citation is paid, but the tax office is not obligated to do so.

It is not in the tax office's interest to do this; they get nothing out of it and it reduces their revenue. My understanding is that this enforcement mechanism is almost never used.

I think anyone who pays a red light ticket in Texas is a sucker.
Frok
AG
Rufnek said:

I have gotten them in both port Lavaca and in bastrop. I never paid any of them.

I no longer drive through Port Lavaca and that is partly the reason why. I refuse to give that town any business.
Marvin_Zindler
AG
Stick in in the trash. There is nothing they can really do to you if you don't pay it.
Mr.Bond
AG
Thanks for the feedback

fire09
AG
Don't pay red light tickets in Texas, they are unenforceable.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.