Houston
Sponsored by

anyone know anyone who owns an art gallery or works at one, etc?

3,448 Views | 30 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by ThunderCougarFalconBird
studioone
How long do you want to ignore this user?

Trying to get my pieces noticed and in galleries... and Houston is the closest big city...

so if u know anyone who owns a gallery, works at one, or knows one that is open and friendly to submissions, I'd love to get some contact info.

here's what I do...

follow me on instagram at dartwoodworks and on Facebook as well...
thanks for looking..

chico
AG
Contact me via direct message.
vansprinkle
AG
I know a TexAger with photos in a gallery. Pretty sure he doesn't own the gallery, since he has an 8-5 job.
SpringAg92
Don't have an answer for you, but really love your work - amazing pieces.
Post removed:
by user
studioone
chico said:

Contact me via direct message.

I'm not a premium member of Texags... so I can't message you...

but you can message me...

darrin@Avalonweddingsbcs.com

thanks for looking...
studioone
third coast.. said:

There are more than a couple galleries in Galveston with stuff right up this alley. I'm guessing you would have luck down there.

tried a couple of times down there.. there aren't that many that are into wood, and they usually reply 'we've already got a guy who makes bowls'...

and its hard to tell them 'I don't make bowls, I make art'.... cause they think woodturning is just bowls... and I email them pics and they NEVER respond.. hence the idea of getting in the door by this forum on Texags.

thanks for looking..

d
Post removed:
by user
agz win
AG
Beautiful. Be sure to sign and date them.

Have you looked into Arts Festivals? Houston has one twice a year.
Bondag
AG
https://sawyerstreetmarket.com/second-saturday-at-sawyer-yards/
studioone
actually trying to avoid all that...

See... My wife and I own a wedding venue in college station, so we're already 150+ miles from Galveston.

and we work pretty much EVERY Saturday (weddings..) so we just cannot go to art shows and fairs and things like that because they're always on Saturdays...

I was trying to avoid all that by just asking if anyone owned a gallery or worked at one so I could just concentrate on that.. I CAN make a trip during the week to talk to someone, but weekends are almost impossible for us. Was hoping to find someone in Houston proper as its just closer... but ...

not trying to be difficult... I just have a job that's not a normal job with normal hours/days of work.

studioone
agz win said:

Beautiful. Be sure to sign and date them.

Have you looked into Arts Festivals? Houston has one twice a year.

everyone gets signed, dated, and materials used.

Weekends are hard... very hard, for me..

studioone
Sasappis said:

studioone said:

third coast.. said:

There are more than a couple galleries in Galveston with stuff right up this alley. I'm guessing you would have luck down there.

tried a couple of times down there.. there aren't that many that are into wood, and they usually reply 'we've already got a guy who makes bowls'...

and its hard to tell them 'I don't make bowls, I make art'.... cause they think woodturning is just bowls... and I email them pics and they NEVER respond.. hence the idea of getting in the door by this forum on Texags.

thanks for looking..

d

Have you made a trip to the shops and galleries with your actual pieces ? Probably will get a much better response than cold calling or just emails.
yep.. stopped at one... went in, talked to one of the owners, showed pieces... she said she loved the work... told her I would call her and send pics of more pieces. When I called back, the other owner answered and I explained to the lady what I was doing and why I was calling. She said she kinda knew what was going on and when could I come down on the Saturday sidewalk show. I said I didn't know about the sidewalk show.. I told her what iw as looking for was space in the studio to show off my stuff... She said it was impossible and the only thing I could do was a sidewalk show on a Saturday.. I told her I work weddings on every Saturday and I could not come, and the conversation kinda went down hill from there...

gallery was then sold about a year ago... talked to a manager there who gave me contact info to new owner.. I Called and talked to him.. HE said to email me pics.. Ive done it several times, never gotten a response..

people frustrate me.

So next time my kids have a week off for holidays I guess I can try to just randomly show up during the week, but I know that most galleries hate drop ins...

shrug...
studioone
also... about art shows and fairs...

My pieces sometimes take weeks to months to years to create (sometimes I work on something for months then set it aside for 6 months or more until I get inspired again)..

so I don't have a large inventory... and that's what's needed at art shows and fairs...a LOT of stuff to sell... I probably have about 10 pieces here at home right now... not nearly enough...

I try to work an hour or two in the shop every day... but im not a full time artist... I COULD be, if I could find a gallery or three to represent me... but ..

just searching for answers to vague questions...
94chem
What price range? You may need to start on Etsy or similar.
Ag_07
AG
94chem said:

You may need to start on Etsy or similar.

Do you know someone who will post his stuff for him? He doesn't have time for that.
Liquid Wrench
Is this going to be one of those classic TexAgs threads where someone asks a pretty specific question, and then people get mad when the OP doesn't thank them for random life advice?

Unfortunately I don't have a hookup, but I'd check out a cluster of galleries along or around Richmond Avenue. Some of them like Texas artists and could be a good fit. For your style and price range, it's probably more worthwhile to research galleries that get a lot of traffic from decorators or home shoppers than to do the Saturday fairs. A lot of their websites will say whether or not they're currently accepting artist submissions. Since you already have good photos, you can go ahead and submit. For example: https://www.thornwoodgallery.com/contact

Just look on google maps for the galleries in that area and check out their websites.
94chem
Buccee's?
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
Build vases or flower holders, put wedding bouquets in them and 'sell' them to crazy ass brides. You're welcome.
schmendeler
AG
those are great. but would look stunning with a beveled aTm.
Foamcows
AG
Im the person mentioned by Vansprinkle that has a studio in Houston.

To be honest, your biggest market is going to be online. Etsy or Amazon Handmade are going to be the best way to reach the biggest audience possible. If I had an easy way to ship my work (5 to 15 ft wide printed photos) then I would solely sell online. In regards to having the time to take photos and get it setup... price it so that its worth your time to setup the shops.

Galleries are going to be difficult to get into unless you have an interesting backstory or the pieces represent something that will connect with people. Without that story or meaning in your pieces, you will be seen as a high quality hobby work. Im also not sure its worth the large cut (50% or more) that galleries are going to want to take.
Liquid Wrench

Quote:

unless you have an interesting backstory or the pieces represent something that will connect with people
Time to tell the story of the blind orphan boy from rural Brazos County who learned to see the world by touching the trees around him.
chico
AG
Foamcows said:

Galleries are going to be difficult to get into unless you have an interesting backstory or the pieces represent something that will connect with people. Without that story or meaning in your pieces, you will be seen as a high quality hobby work. Im also not sure its worth the large cut (50% or more) that galleries are going to want to take.
This part is very true. My wife creates really nice jewelry art. It's the story and personal connection that sells the pieces (e.g. this locket was sourced from an English Victorian necklace from the 1800's; this silver came from a mine in Mexico; this stone was purchased from a Native American in Arizona). You'll gain traction by saying stuff like your wood came from an old barn and the lacquer used is similar to a New England shipbuilder....or whatever. And resellers get a 50% cut typically.
studioone
schmendeler said:

those are great. but would look stunning with a beveled aTm.

There's a thing called Licensing that I'd have to get around.... and then in addition to the %50 comission I would have to give TAMU about 50% of sales for the honor..

also TMAU requires that I have to have $1,000,000 in insurance, just incase someone gets a splinter and tries to sue TAMU.
Post removed:
by user
studioone
you'd be surprised how many ask to have the aTm engraved on something...

studioone
Foamcows said:

Im the person mentioned by Vansprinkle that has a studio in Houston.

To be honest, your biggest market is going to be online. Etsy or Amazon Handmade are going to be the best way to reach the biggest audience possible. If I had an easy way to ship my work (5 to 15 ft wide printed photos) then I would solely sell online. In regards to having the time to take photos and get it setup... price it so that its worth your time to setup the shops.

I have an etsy site.... sold one or two bowls in 8 years...

dartstudios (dart woodworks was already taken)

amazon is for people who mass produce.. I don't...

I just got notification that one of my pieces is going in a woodworking book, and I also got a notice that the worlds most prestigious online gallery for wood has a Christmas show and 3 of my pieces are in it... and they added their 50%, so one piece is over $7,000.. don't really see something selling for $7k online or at an art fair..

www.woodsymphony.com is the show.. check it out.
schmendeler
AG
third coast.. said:

He was being HIGHLY sarcastic.
yeah, i'd hoped it was obvious. but I guess enough people out there want aggie everything that it wasn't.
Foamcows
AG
sounds like you've done all the basics... only thing left is just grinding it out and marketing/promoting your product as much as possible. This is the piece i hate the most. I just don't have the ambition to pretend something is more than the sum of its components, hence the world has people who do marketing and or sales... I am still trying to find someone who is comfortable with splitting the profits, and not the sales price.

After a few years of trying to get passive sales, I have come to realize the importance and value in marketing and putting yourself out there, trying to develop a brand, whether it's cheesy or not.
ThunderCougarFalconBird
AG
I'll give OP $300 Tricky Dick Fun Bucks for the whole collection.

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.