Houston
Sponsored by

Dan Kirby (lawyer) -- anyone used this guy'for divorce/mediation?

4,374 Views | 31 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by rhoswen
TxAger
How long do you want to ignore this user?
nm
03_Aggie
Is there a dog involved?
Ag_07
AG
Uncontested huh?

She's got you right she wants you
H_Aggie
Your wife hot? Big boobs?
K Bo
AG
Serious question - why are you using a lawyer for an uncontested divorce?

EDIT: I missed the "mediation" in your title, I am guessing maybe you have assets or kids? We are just starting the (uncontested) divorce process, with no kids or joint assets, and are planning on doing everything ourselves.
sts7049
AG
if you are truly uncontested and without kids, you don't need a lawyer. it's not hard to handle yourself.
SECond2noneAgs
AG
Where did you come across Dan Kirby? Advertisement, google search, recommendation?
P.H. Dexippus
AG
I don't know Dan but don't DIY your divorce, even uncontested and childless. I say that as a former family law attorney with no love for that area of practice.
nonameag99
I know an Aggie family Lawyer in Deer Park that does an affordable uncontested divorce if that helps

https://www.deerparkdivorcelawyers.com
The Aggie number specified has already been linked with another TexAgs account.
The Wonderer
AG
Mr. AGSPRT04 said:

I don't know Dan but don't DIY your divorce, even uncontested and childless. I say that as a former family law attorney with no love for that area of practice.
For the love of all that is holy THIS.

I know too many famlaw friends that got gray hair from "uncontested" divorces.
K Bo
AG
Can you elaborate? Thanks.
sts7049
AG
worked just fine for me. but every situation is different. that's why i said truly uncontested.
TxAger
nm
Panama Red
AG
SECond2noneAgs said:

Where did you come across Dan Kirby? Advertisement, google search, recommendation?
Looking for SEO help?
NoahAg
Do divorce lawyers go home at the end of the day completely depressed by all the sad/messed up family drama and breakups they're involved in?

Or do they become so cynical and jaded by the system that they rest perfectly contented on massive piles of cash?
The Wonderer
AG
NoahAg said:

Do divorce lawyers go home at the end of the day completely depressed by all the sad/messed up family drama and breakups they're involved in?

Or do they become so cynical and jaded by the system that they rest perfectly contented on massive piles of cash?
Family lawyers don't typically have "massive piles of cash". You're thinking of successful PI attorneys.
nonameag99
I've been told that they never have a happy customer. That is not completely true
Liquid Wrench
They may not meet your Tony Buzbee standards of success, but plenty of family lawyers are living comfortably in West U, Bellaire, Heights, whatever. The ones who are successful and don't get burnt out are just competitive people who work a lot and don't let the subject matter affect them too much.
TxAger
nm
Liquid Wrench
We'd tell you if we knew.

Any interest in a new dog?
P.H. Dexippus
AG
K Bo said:

Can you elaborate? Thanks.

Sure. The cost/benefit analysis doesn't hold up. I won't go into all the mistakes/oversights that can be made in the documents and procedure and how that will affect the parties before the court or down the road, but suffice to say, it's not worth the the $750-1000 or so it might save each of the parties to DIY. There's a good chance the parties get told by the judge, while in in the middle of the hearing, to go hire counsel when an error is identified or the parties don't follow procedure. This rule of thumb holds true for DIY wills, DIY business org setups, DIY service contracts, and pro se litigation in general.
P.H. Dexippus
AG
NoahAg said:

I did. That's why I quit my first job out of law school. That, and a growing moral issue with being the "man" putting "asunder" "what God has joined together".
bq11
AG
I don't know that attorney and I definitely don't think you should try it on your own. Each court has specific little nuances that only Attorney's who are in them know.
sts7049
AG
of course the lawyers are all going to say don't do it yourself
The Wonderer
AG
sts7049 said:

And when people dont listen, we usually make twice the money fixing their mistakes.
Redstone
AG
Try to work it out, possibly avoiding both the cost and the actual divorce
K Bo
AG
bumping this thread ... I need a lawyer as my STBX (she filed and supposedly has been filing all the docs) is dragging her feet and I think she needs a nudge.

details:
uncontested, no kids, not splitting any assets

(removed:110205)
K Bo said:

bumping this thread ... I need a lawyer as my STBX (she filed and supposedly has been filing all the docs) is dragging her feet and I think she needs a nudge.

details:
uncontested, no kids, not splitting any assets

Are you in Houston?
K Bo
AG
I was just coming back to post that info. Yes - 77057
(removed:110205)
K Bo said:

I was just coming back to post that info. Yes - 77057
Sorry, I'm slow. Should have assumed you were in Houston since this is the Houston forum.

I refer all my family-law cases to Angela Stout (The Stout Law Firm) in the Heights. She's been great for my clients.
K Bo
AG
haha, I didn't think about that, either.

Thanks for the recommendation. I'll look her up!
TheEyeGuy
Sponsor
AG
The Wonderer said:

sts7049 said:

And when people dont listen, we usually make twice the money fixing their mistakes.

This is why I offer gunsmithing. I love fixing mistakes
Owner of Texian Firearms:
Dealer in Firearms, Optics, Night Vision and other shooting accessories.
US importer/distributor of Rudolph Optics
Supporting bad financial decisions since 2015
rhoswen
AG
I'd be interested to hear what these mistakes are in filing as i'm fixing to efile. I simply cannot afford a lawyer, but there's nothing to fight over.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.