Houston
Sponsored by

Get a new street address in Harris county?

17,429 Views | 22 Replies | Last: 10 mo ago by AlaskanAg99
Nagler
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Recently purchase some land in Harris county and it was part of a larger piece that has been broken up. So it originally didn't have an address assigned to it.

The street address that is currently assigned to it per HCAD is on the road the peoples house that used to own the property is on and nowhere near our land.

Question is who to I contact about getting the address moved/ a new address set up? I've done quite a bit of googling but I can't seem to word it right to get the address I'm looking for to pop up.
agdaddy04
AG
That's done by the postmaster, correct?
agdaddy04
AG
Or are you saying you already have a new address, it's just not properly represented on hcad?
Martin Q. Blank
That's done by USPS, not HCAD.
MouthBQ98
AG
County e911 service.
Nagler
AG
They never gave us an address and when they finally listed it on HCAD there was an address assigned to it.

The address assigned to it is on Road "A". My land doesn't touch Road "A" anywhere and really isn't close. Road "A" is where the original owners live.

Our land has road frontage on Road "B", the driveway is on Road "B".

I'd like to get our address moved to Road "B" which is the road that actually makes sense.
agdaddy04
AG
Definitely the Postmaster as far as I can tell.
Dr. Venkman
AG
Nagler said:

They never gave us an address and when they finally listed it on HCAD there was an address assigned to it.

The address assigned to it is on Road "A". My land doesn't touch Road "A" anywhere and really isn't close. Road "A" is where the original owners live.

Our land has road frontage on Road "B", the driveway is on Road "B".

I'd like to get our address moved to Road "B" which is the road that actually makes sense.
Are you in a city or ETJ? Address is assigned during platting either by the city (if within their limits or ETJ) or the county. You need to call the city planning & development or county platting group.
OlArmyWalton92
AG
When I was in land development, all addresses were assigned by CenterPoint Energy. You may need to contact the CenterPoint Energy consultant for your area.
Nagler
AG
It's county.

The land we purchased was part of a larger piece. There wasn't any platting required when we bough it due to the size.

It seems like it's an arbitrary address assigned based on the original owner.
Post removed:
by user
OlArmyWalton92
AG
Call CenterPoint Energy Customer Service and ask to speak with your Service Consultant. If you plan to build anything needing electric including a barn or cabin, you will need to meet with them in order to determine where you need the service and how they will get it there and how much it will cost you. If you're not ready for that, they should be able to get you the address or at least get you in contact with the person that can. You may need to give them the old address of the land in order for them to figure out which consultant covers the area.
AlaskanAg99
AG
If a parcel doesn't have a building on it it doesn't receive an address in unincorporated HC. Addresses are assigned by Center point when a meter is established. This causes endless problems for both HCAD and the County. Centerpoint should be your first stop.
helloag99
I've had CenterPoint send me to the city to get an address inside city limits. Never done it unincorporated areas.
AlaskanAg99
AG
Houston is it's own addressing entity. Harris County isn't.

So you're correct, I thought the question above was for unincorporated Harris County.
Win At Life
AG
I bought property in Tomball and asked everybody about assigning a street address (other than 0 xxxx road in HCAD) and several told be it is the electric utility that assigns street addresses. I called them and it seemed like they understood that's the way it works, but they didn't want to create an address for it unless I was going to develop it and take a service drop. I told them I would do that shortly, so she looked my place up on Google earth, looked at some of the address numbers around my property, came up with a number and asked me if I was okay with that number. It seems like it should have been a more formal or documented process than that, but I said okay. But they never issued me any paper or proof to that effect, because I didn't actually take a service drop.

However, I put up a mail box with that number and tried to mail a letter to myself to test it. The post office put a pink slip in the box asking to confirm if the address was authentic. I filled it out and left it in the box. My letter arrived shortly thereafter and I've continued to receive mail there even though there are no utility connections or structures on the property.

In hind sight, it seems I could have just made up a number without talking to the utility, because I don't think the post office had a way (or the desire) to confirm the address with the utility. That's how it worked with me.
redag06
As others have said, CNP if in unicorporated Harris county, Montgomery county and city of Houston do their own addressing.
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
Just when you think you've seen every possible question posted. Bravo op.
SpreadsheetAg
AG
Who is in charge of street signs... mine is wrong.
thedoveshooter
I had the same problem. Called CenterPoint and here is the process:

1) Need to speak with the Maps Dept. Here they assign you an address. - 713-207-4460
2) If you need power, they will transfer you to someone who assigns you an ESI #. This number is what you use to get power through whichever electric provider you choose.
3) Once you choose a provider they will arrange for meter installation, either permanent or temporary.

If you don't need power, just do the first 2 steps.

Long story short - call 713-207-4460. They provide you the address.
Aggie Hunter
AG
Did you ever figure out who to speak with? I'm going through same issue right now. My realtor told me to speak with 911 but not sure if that's correct.
oldord
AG
Bump,
I am going through the same thing right now.
I bought150 acres out of 1200 acre property that had been in the same family since 1922. There was a homestead there at one time and had a street number. That number apparently is no longer is valid and the addresses have shifted north on the street in front of the property. The property is in the city of Houston.

There is a standing mailbox but it has not been in service in many years.

I emailed Houston Public works and filled out a address change request and they responded with the following:
"After much research the property in question is not within the City of Houston's Permitting Jurisdiction
Please contact Harris county permit office or City of Friendswood permit office for your permit needs"

I have not gone to the city or the county yet but cannot find anything the internet about reestablishing address service.
BTW this has electrical service already and an ESI number but the address that CenterPoint uses is for a road that has not existed for 50 years as urban roads replaced it and the county quitclaimed the roadway.

AlaskanAg99
AG
If you're inside City of Houston limits, they are the addressing authority.

Call their planning department and have your HCAD number handy.
aTm '99
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.