Houston
Sponsored by

Houston gyms with indoor running tracks

12,152 Views | 24 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by BobSacamano
Achilles Rhyme
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Not a fan of the treadmills. They do get boring after a while. Any recommendations? Thanks in advance.
Lonestarandi
AG
Downtown Y
wessimo
AG
Downtown Y, but to me an indoor track is not much less boring than a treadmill when you have to do 20 laps to run a mile. Go outside. Yeah it's hot. You'll get used to it. Acclimatising actually makes Houston summers more enjoyable.
Lonestarandi
AG
Yah, I'd actually prefer to get one of the treads that overlook downtown so I can be distracted by the city, better than running that track... IMHO
The Hawk
AG
Health Club at Travis Place. 8th Floor above Kinder Morgan garage.
runontexas
AG
Not a 1/4 mile though
BobSacamano
chimpanzee
I did the downtown Y for a while, and the track was a nice change of pace from the machines.

A smattering of CSB's from the experience:

1. There was some quasi-crossfit group training class that would storm the track and go sprinting by everyone twice and then disappear to whatever else they were doing.

2. Occasionally in one section of the track that was close to the exterior window in one spot there was a horrid stench that you would have to hold your breath as you ran past. Turned out to be this one dude that always used the same treadmill underneath that spot; smelled like a homeless guy in August that had a dead raccoon jammed in his shorts. He had about a 20' radius cleared out around him down there, even when the place was jammed. You would see people walk toward the open machines and just about barf when they got too close.

3. A guy who looked normal enough working out in the gym area would proudly don a full sized Israeli flag as a cape to go about the rest of his day.

Overall it was fine, but my largest issue was how crowded it was. You also had to be vigilant about locking up your stuff as reports of theft were common; I figured that it was/is a quasi-shelter for some folks that are in halfway houses or something, but am not 100% on that, could just be weird Houston doing its thing.

Liquid Wrench
Downtown Y used to have housing for some level of need, not sure of the details or if they still do that.
drumboy
AG
First Baptist has a small indoor track and I think it's around $25 a month for their workout facilities including weights/machines, basketball & racketball. My mom takes pilates there so I think that's included as well.
Big Cat `93
AG
Same thing at Second Baptist. The track is upstairs in the gym.
drumboy
AG
Big Cat `93 said:

I hear they have a better singles group so I would choose that one.
htxag09
AG
wessimo said:

Downtown Y, but to me an indoor track is not much less boring than a treadmill when you have to do 20 laps to run a mile. Go outside. Yeah it's hot. You'll get used to it. Acclimatising actually makes Houston summers more enjoyable.
I 100% agree that if running on a treadmill is boring to you I don't see how running on a small indoor track will be better. However, most people don't just get used to the heat. The pace on my long runs has dropped about 3 minutes and I'm still struggling to finish them. So I can see why people look for alternatives, especially if they have a race that requires a lot of training in the summer.

Also, as someone who runs 5 days and 30+ miles a week, all outside, I still haven't acclimated and think it's hot AF outside when doing other things.
Big Cat `93
AG
drumboy said:

Big Cat `93 said:

I hear they have a better singles group so I would choose that one.
Given my experience there, I advise against it.
GrayMatter
AG
htxag09 said:

wessimo said:

I 100% agree that if running on a treadmill is boring to you I don't see how running on a small indoor track will be better. However, most people don't just get used to the heat. The pace on my long runs has dropped about 3 minutes and I'm still struggling to finish them. So I can see why people look for alternatives, especially if they have a race that requires a lot of training in the summer.

Also, as someone who runs 5 days and 30+ miles a week, all outside, I still haven't acclimated and think it's hot AF outside when doing other things.
Good to know i'm not the only affected by the heat. I love to run in the cold!

Personally I can't run in the treadmill because I tend to get motion sickness and definitely prefer to run outside versus a track. A track is nice only for so long before you'll start to get bored.

I've recently started running in the am and that seems to be a little better than running in the afternoon/early evening. Temps are low, but really humid whereas in the evening, temps are high with lower humidity. Pick your poison.
Ragoo
AG
drumboy said:

First Baptist has a small indoor track and I think it's around $25 a month for their workout facilities including weights/machines, basketball & racketball. My mom takes pilates there so I think that's included as well.
what day/time is this pilates class?
Jackal99
AG
ChiliBeans said:

Downtown Y used to have housing for some level of need, not sure of the details or if they still do that.
Was it fun when you stayed there?
1876er
AG
Run outside. You'll survive. I promise. Do it between 8pm to 8am and you'll be fine. Sweat isn't that scary.
drumboy
AG
Ragoo said:

drumboy said:

Monday/Wednesday around 10, I think, just look for the blue hairs in yoga pants.
Liquid Wrench
1876er said:

Run outside. You'll survive. I promise. Do it between 8pm to 8am and you'll be fine. Sweat isn't that scary.
Sweat probably isn't what people are afraid of running at night.
Ragoo
AG
drumboy said:

Ragoo said:

drumboy said:

Monday/Wednesday around 10, I think, just look for the blue hairs in yoga pants.
i always do.
Lonestarandi
AG
Was curious about race pace. Do they have any unique technology to their treads that makes for good training? You can't train for a half marathon or full on a regular treadmill...
Dan Scott
AG
I take Pilates at First Baptist. Thursdays at 6PM is the one I attend.

https://d3n3ykm9qjejkq.cloudfront.net/LP-FRC-Fitness-Schedule-June-July-17.pdf?mtime=20170530130504
Bondag
AG
Lonestarandi said:

Was curious about race pace. Do they have any unique technology to their treads that makes for good training? You can't train for a half marathon or full on a regular treadmill...
I have a hard time driving half a mile to run.
drewbie08
AG
Lonestarandi said:

Race Pace is pretty cool, but it's uber expensive. Their treadmills are nice though. I prefer the heat and running outside, so I can't really provide any details to indoor places to run downtown.
BobSacamano

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.