Houston
Sponsored by

Something to boast about: Houston ranks low on Hipster appeal

7,721 Views | 37 Replies | Last: 11 yr ago by 62strat
Buck Turgidson
How long do you want to ignore this user?
http://abclocal.go.com/ktrk/story?section=news/local&id=9022695

"So Houston's ranked as the fifth least hipster city, behind Oklahoma City, Fort Worth, Jacksonville and El Paso, the least hipster city in the USA."

North Mayne
AG
We have just the right amount of hipsters ITL in my opinion. Much like the people on shows like "Hoarders" and "Intervention", hipsters remind us to feel good about ourselves. It is always nice to have at least a few within a shotgun blast radius when going out on the town.
The Milkman
AG
THats surprising...feels like theres so many
Tom Hagen
AG
quote:
feels like theres so many

That's because they are all clustered together in two or three areas ITL.
MouthBQ98
AG
They seek out peers so they can be seen by eachother, because being a hipster is really all about attention hooring to one's peer group of other hipsters in the end.
Finn Maccumhail
AG
Doesn't surprise me.

Houston, at its core, is all about business and making money. Hipsters decry this behavior as bourgeois and "not authentic."
Wrec86 Ag
quote:

El Paso, the least hipster city in the USA

This doesn't surprise me at all.... could you imagine a hipster walking down the street in El Paso?
Madman
AG
Hipsters love irony so yes I can imagine them wanting to walk in places they are not thought of liking if that makes sense.
Mr. Lahey
lil99chris
AG
quote:
This doesn't surprise me at all.... could you imagine a hipster walking down the street in El Paso?

....never thought of Marty Robbins as a hipster.
Icecream_Ag
S
quote:
No iphone service and no starbucks, is anyone really shocked by this stat?
TexAgs1992
Fort Worth being on that list is a bit of a surprise. I attend TCU and many of my closest friends are hipsters.
Post removed:
by user
CrossBowAg99
AG
I thought it was the superior beer. Same difference.
The Original AG 76
AG
I've seen a lot of posts on this site about hipsters that I just pass by cause I have no idea what one is. Can one of you guys tell this old fart just what a hipster is ?
OnlyForNow
AG
F you see a dude wearing a scarf, skinny jeans, and/or thick black rimmed glasses that also may have a 2-5 day old bread stubble that is a hipster. Also usually wearing some kind of tweed like sport coat/jacket.

The hipster women, wear a lot of loose flowing clothes, long necklaces, usually what looks like unkept hair but really it's styled that way.
Tom Hagen
AG
OA76: They are the people that you see in passing, and think to yourself that they must be from Austin.
Scientific
AG
Everything becomes a ITL diss somehow doesn't it? Its old Houston. It has much of the old vibe and vintage look a lot miss in older cities.

quote:
Doesn't surprise me.

Houston, at its core, is all about business and making money. Hipsters decry this behavior as bourgeois and "not authentic."

QFT. A tale of two worlds from those who come down here relocate.

I get sick and tired of California transplants who come here and all they do is complain about the bad weather, lack of scenery, and ugly beaches, but wonder why their state is so broke.

People from the East Coast, are so much more appreciative. They love the Southern hospitality, warm weather for much of the year, and really don't care about scenery. Just happy to make a good living, and be comfortable.
brunsonpark
This thread would read better on vinyl
FlyFish95
What, you don't like men in skinny jeans who wear one of these in 98 degree heat in August?

North Mayne
AG
76:

Asexual eunuch hipster

Homosexual hipster

Clean cut hipster

Stoner hipsters

Schizophrenic hipster

Politically involved hipster

Classic hipsters

Homeless hipster

Llama hipster
cone
AG
that is a dead scene

this is a non story

Finn Maccumhail
AG
quote:
Scientific
posted 7:24a, 03/14/13

Everything becomes a ITL diss somehow doesn't it? Its old Houston. It has much of the old vibe and vintage look a lot miss in older cities.

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Doesn't surprise me.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

QFT. A tale of two worlds from those who come down here relocate.

I get sick and tired of California transplants who come here and all they do is complain about the bad weather, lack of scenery, and ugly beaches, but wonder why their state is so broke.

People from the East Coast, are so much more appreciative. They love the Southern hospitality, warm weather for much of the year, and really don't care about scenery. Just happy to make a good living, and be comfortable.

The bolded parts are confusing- what are you saying? What's an ITL diss?

Another thing on hipsters- they are almost universally spoiled little rich kids living off mommy & daddy's money and railing against the work by which their parents provide for them.
cone
AG
honest work is important work
C5Aggie03
AG
Houston is a nice place to live and make a lot of money.

Not hip but hipsters usually are broke anyways.
Diggity
AG
That llama hipster picture actually made me laugh out loud. I'm sitting at a bar in Barcelona and people are giving me strange looks now. It would be tough to explain.
Sweetums09
AG
quote:

The Milkmaid
AG
quote:
Hipsters love irony

This is too funny.
Frok
AG
I like the Schizo hipster picture.
North Mayne
AG
quote:
That llama hipster picture actually made me laugh out loud. I'm sitting at a bar in Barcelona and people are giving me strange looks now. It would be tough to explain.

I LOL every time I see that picture. Jealous brah, I'm sure it's awesome over there. I found another realtor btw...you might know him.

[This message has been edited by North Mayne (edited 3/14/2013 1:48p).]
Ray Guy
AG
That llama is funny
RK
AG
Diggity with the subtle travel brag.
Buck Turgidson
They just look like a subset of the larger weenie population that has been around forever. There's always going to be a population of young, self absorbed, limp wristed girly boys adopting ridiculous fashions and mannerisms. Especially in decaying older sections of larger cities.
hombre
Houston is too salty for the Hipster - it needs only the veneer of urban decay. Compare East Austin to East Houston, if you veer too far off the beaten path in the latter, and you'll get beaten. Not soo much in the ATX.
North Mayne
AG
Hombre nailed it. They LOVE East Austin b/c you get a somewhat run-down look without any real danger whatsoever. You won't see them renting houses over off Navigation or over in Denver Harbor/5th Ward though.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.