Houston
Sponsored by

Ideas Needed: Outdoor Photo "Locations" on NW side/Cypress

14,268 Views | 26 Replies | Last: 13 yr ago by coscaggie
LuckyAgg01
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Looking for some good suggestions on outdoor locations for family/children's photos. Trees, park, bridge, pumpkin patch, orchards, etc. All ideas are appreciated.

Preferably on the NW 290/Cypress area of Houston.

chjoak
AG
Professional photographer?
Something available all the time or seasonal?
When do you wanna take pics?
3B Paul 97
AG
Lots of folks get family portaits done by the lake in Longwood subdivision (Louetta and Longwood Trace).
Westicles
AG
Bridgeland would fit what you're looking for, minus the pumpkin patch.

http://www.bridgeland.com/
LuckyAgg01
chjoak:

It's for professional pics, taken in the early evening. Thanks.
MaterialAg
AG
I'm guessing Gold Cup is a little far away, and really isn't such a great place to try out in any case. However, there are other options.

[This message has been edited by MaterialAg (edited 9/28/2010 5:32p).]
coscaggie
AG
here ya go. Off Telge about 5 min north of 290

http://www.northwestforest.com/

62strat
AG
coscaggie, northwest forest, we had our rehearsal dinner there.. very cool place.. tons of great backdrops for pics.
johnlgarvey
Cypress Top Park off of Hempstead near Fry? If you're looking for a good natural light photographer in the area check out Kelly Garvey Photography:

kellygarveyphotography.com
BuLi97
AG
There's a cool Hill Country inspired waterfall at the current entrance to Towne Lake subdivision that many people are using for photograph shoots. West Rd and Greenhouse - just to the north of West Rd.
rachag03
AG
If you feel like driving all the way to Mercer Arboretum I love to do pictures there! I live on the more north side of Cypress, though...so it's a pretty easy drive for me.

I've never been in Bridgeland, but every time I drive by it on the way to my mom's I envision taking my kiddos up on those big hills at the front with a balloon or two and shooting up toward the blue sky. One day I'm going to do it!
rachag03
AG
Oh wow, I had never heard of Northwest Forest...that looks awesome! I'll have to call and find out what their photography policies are. I use Mercer so much even for my own kids, I need something different! Thanks for the link!
62strat
AG
i don't think they have a 'policy'. just go in there and take some pics.
Guitarsoup
AG
nm

[This message has been edited by Guitarsoup (edited 10/1/2010 12:48p).]
Guitarsoup
AG
LuckyAgg - are you the Painted Peacock?

And I have nothing helpful on NW Houston, I live on the Upper East Side. However, if you get creative enough, you can make anything look great.

[This message has been edited by Guitarsoup (edited 10/4/2010 2:06p).]
GoAgs92
AG
quote:
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
good natural light photographer
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Translated: Hasn't learned how to use off-camera lighting yet.

So you're making fun of the guys wife? Good Bull....?
Guitarsoup
AG
Didn't see a relational denotation in the post. The OP wasn't asking who should I get to take them, they were asking where should I take them.

Don't advertise your weaknesses.

I'm a pet photographer, I'm just not very good with animals. I'm a structural engineer, but I'm not very good with iron or concrete.

I do all different kinds of photography. But I'm not real good at macros of flowers and bugs and all that stuff that is very cool. I don't really think I am that good with kids. You aren't going to see any of that on my website, though.

[This message has been edited by Guitarsoup (edited 9/30/2010 11:08a).]
rachag03
AG
I called...they do have a fee for outside photography, $200 and you have to set up an appointment. Just FYI!
GoAgs92
AG
quote:
Didn't see a relational denotation in the post. The OP wasn't asking who should I get to take them, they were asking where should I take them.

Don't advertise your weaknesses.

I'm a pet photographer, I'm just not very good with animals. I'm a structural engineer, but I'm not very good with iron or concrete.

I do all different kinds of photography. But I'm not real good at macros of flowers and bugs and all that stuff that is very cool. I don't really think I am that good with kids. You aren't going to see any of that on my website, though.

Quite the bit of rationalizing going on there.

The guys handle is JohnLGarvey and the link is to kellygarveyphotography.com and you didn't see the relationship?

I'm guessing attention to detail is not what you're good at either.
Guitarsoup
AG
What rationalization is going on there? From a marketing perspective, it is idiotic to advertise your weaknesses. Even if you are trying to put a good spin on it, the negative is still apparent.

quote:
The guys handle is JohnLGarvey and the link is to kellygarveyphotography.com and you didn't see the relationship?

When I posted, I saw an R and didn't look at the name, knowing it wasn't going to be a name I recognized.

quote:
I'm guessing attention to detail is not what you're good at either.

It would be completely impossible to have a career as a professional photographer without excelling at attention to detail.

[This message has been edited by Guitarsoup (edited 10/1/2010 11:59a).]
SWATAG
Guitarsoup, I'm not in this conversation regarding you calling the dudes wife out or whatever, but I was just curious why you edited your post and slimmed it down to "It would be completely impossible to have a career as a professional photographer without excelling at attention to detail." rather than the original post about you going on about your work in ESPN, Yahoo, CBS, etc.

Again, simply asking from a curious stand point.
LuckyAgg01
Thanks everyone for the great suggestions on a location.

And to you, "Mr. Guitarsoup" (and your rambling responses): Someone posts a simple question, and you rip into them? No, I am not Painted Peacock Photography, but I work with her and she does amazing work. My family has used her on several occasions. You seem so critical of "natural light photographers". Her work speaks for itself:

www.paintedpeacockphotography.com

You, on the other hand, are someone I would never use or recommend as a photographer...No matter how good (you claim to be) behind the lens. What unbelievable arrogance. I refuse to get into a tit-for-tat on texags with you. But on a final note, perhaps (since you are such a "professional" you should focus more time on your profession, and less time obsessing about other photographers on this forum. Good luck to you.

Again, thanks to everyone else who responded to my question with something constructive to add. Really helpful.
Guitarsoup
AG
quote:
Someone posts a simple question, and you rip into them?

I didn't rip into you for the simple question you posed. Just asked if you were the photo company you have pimped out on here many times.

quote:
You seem so critical of "natural light photographers".

I stand behind my statement that advertising yourself as a natural light photographer only means that you have not become an advanced enough photographer to learn complex lighting techniques. Does that mean I light everything artificially? Nope. But if does make yourself look foolish to advertise that you can't or won't do that when the situation deems it necessary.

quote:
You, on the other hand, are someone I would never use or recommend as a photographer

That's fine, not every client is a good match for every photographer and vice versa. My clients have been very happy with the services I provide and the majority of my business has come through referrals.

quote:
I refuse to get into a tit-for-tat on texags with you.

Then why did you just attack me with your response. Pretty hypocritical.

quote:
But on a final note, perhaps (since you are such a "professional" you should focus more time on your profession, and less time obsessing about other photographers on this forum.

I assure you that I don't obsess over other photographers. In fact, you can ask photographers like RachAg, that I have gone out of my way to help them. I've got no need to obsess over other photographers. I'm pretty sure I've done a good job working out the time spent on my profession and the time spent goofing off on Texags and don't really need any time management advice. Thanks for trying to be helpful, though. It is very much appreciated.
coscaggie
AG
hey soup do you do and nudity photo shoots? I'm lookin for someone that can really use some lighting techniques to really excentuate a certain area. You know what I mean? Thinkin about headin to southern cal for another career if this whole construction thing doesn't pan out. I think I need a portoflio though. Let me know. K thx bye
Guitarsoup
AG
quote:
hey soup do you do and nudity photo shoots?

I do not. Too much liability inherent in boobie shoots. I'd be liable to be killed by my wife. I'd rather focus on my segments and expand those.

quote:
I'm lookin for someone that can really use some lighting techniques to really excentuate a certain area. You know what I mean?

You can only do so much with light.
coscaggie
AG
So you can't use light to make it look smaller? I just don't want to scare anyone....
Guitarsoup
AG
quote:
So you can't use light to make it look smaller? I just don't want to scare anyone....

It is all about angles. Looks bigger looking up at it, looks smaller looking down at it.

Think about how it attaches. From top looking down, you can see just about 2/3rd of it. From the bottom looking up, you can see the outline of the entire thing.

I assume we are talking about your feet. Looking for a job in foot modeling, but worried because feet that are too big can be a bit intimidating to the other models in the industry.
coscaggie
AG
No im talkin about my *****
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.