Metroplex
Sponsored by

Alamo Drafthouse closed

4,042 Views | 26 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by double aught
double aught
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
All Dallas area locations. Effective immediately. What a bummer. They had just renovated the Richardson location. We loved taking our kids there.

https://www.wfaa.com/article/news/entertainment-news/five-alamo-drafthouse-locations-close-north-texas-chapter-7-bankruptcy-filed/287-105670b3-1546-4ee9-add6-0fd9b3124f1b
Matsui
AG
Bummer
Aggie71013
AG
Apparently the Franchisee went bankrupt, but Alamo itself wants to reopen the locations ASAP.
double aught
AG
I certainly hope that's true.
harge57
AG
I've never been in that Alamo draft house as I avoid all movie theatres like the plague, but that shopping center seems to churn through a lot of businesses. The sports bar/ seafood spot, the BBQ spot i think are on their 3rd business in like 5 years. I always wonder why they struggle, but then I realize the only place I visit in that whole center is the Bahama bucks with kids in the summer.
AG
harge57 said:

I've never been in that Alamo draft house as I avoid all movie theatres like the plague, but that shopping center seems to churn through a lot of businesses. The sports bar/ seafood spot, the BBQ spot i think are on their 3rd business in like 5 years. I always wonder why they struggle, but then I realize the only place I visit in that whole center is the Bahama bucks with kids in the summer.

did you mean the lake highlands location? I was always slightly surprised my car still had all its glass when leaving the LH location.
harge57
AG
80085 said:

harge57 said:

did you mean the lake highlands location? I was always slightly surprised my car still had all its glass when leaving the LH location.

Yes. Wasn't aware of the other richardson one.
tysker
AG
Aggie71013 said:

Apparently the Franchisee went bankrupt, but Alamo itself wants to reopen the locations ASAP.

I hope so. We already have tickets to Deadpool & Wolverine.
chick79
AG
That sucks. I live by the one in Richardson. They were the anchor tenant for an old strip mall that had been undergoing a big makeover for several years. Hope they open back up.
aezmvp
They need to figure out a way to get a movie pass type access. Those places that have a massive portion of their income not based on the movie itself need to figure out more ways to get people through the doors at a reasonable cost. The price point for 1 movie a month for a family of four (4 tickets, 1 large popcorn, 2 candy and 4 drinks let's say is $95 at my local theatre. The tickets alone are $50 for non-matinee. They are absolutely pricing out younger people and limiting the number of people who can or will come out. So yeah, something in the model has to change or theatres just won't be around any more.
rebag00
AG
aezmvp said:

They need to figure out a way to get a movie pass type access. Those places that have a massive portion of their income not based on the movie itself need to figure out more ways to get people through the doors at a reasonable cost. The price point for 1 movie a month for a family of four (4 tickets, 1 large popcorn, 2 candy and 4 drinks let's say is $95 at my local theatre. The tickets alone are $50 for non-matinee. They are absolutely pricing out younger people and limiting the number of people who can or will come out. So yeah, something in the model has to change or theatres just won't be around any more.
They had Alamo season pass., $21/month. I had one, cancelled it yesterday morning. I basically broke even over the 18 months I had it. 1 normal ticket after taxes and fees was $19.45 as of last week (went and saw Hit Man). I'd regularly spend $60-70 on food and beverages each show.
AG
Dumbzone yesterday hinted that something is in the works with previous owner and movie theaters
BoDog
AG
... well they did go woke and we all not what that means!
walton91
drewser95
AG
So they bought the parent company based in Austin, which may or may not affect the franchised locations in DFW?
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
drewser95 said:

So they bought the parent company based in Austin, which may or may not affect the franchised locations in DFW?

Correct (my interpretation). I would guess it does not affect them directly initially. But they could opt to do something with those locations (for example reacquire those locations for cheap off the bankruptcy heap).
double aught
AG
Good news!
gabehcoud
Who bought it?
double aught
AG
My guess is Sony took them over when they bought the rest recently, but I don't know.
walton91
Good news!
Garrelli 5000
AG
THere's so much rot down to the core of the AD brand. It is weaved into the company's fiber. A 50/50 historical mixture of woke pandering and rape culture.

If you have a daughter and you are a fan of AD, I suggest doing some research. Let us know if you'd allow your daughter to work there.

F them all.
Ol Jock 99
AG
You seem very passionate about this. How about sharing some specifics?
Hincemm
AG
Garrelli 5000 said:

I suggest doing some research.
you could just, you know, share it here yourself...
double aught
AG
Garrelli 5000 said:

THere's so much rot down to the core of the AD brand. It is weaved into the company's fiber. A 50/50 historical mixture of woke pandering and rape culture.

If you have a daughter and you are a fan of AD, I suggest doing some research. Let us know if you'd allow your daughter to work there.

F them all.
Nah, I'm still gonna go.
Garrelli 5000
AG
Sorry I didn't realize google was down for so much of the country

https://www.splinter.com/alamo-drafthouses-long-history-of-minimizing-sexual-ass-1822816916

https://www.thepitchkc.com/drafthouse-abuse-kansas-city-mainstreet/

walton91
Re-opening dates...

August 9: Alamo Drafthouse Richardson
August 13: Alamo Drafthouse Lake Highlands
August 16: Alamo Drafthouse Cedars
August 20: Alamo Drafthouse Denton
August 23: Alamo Drafthouse Las Colinas
August 27: Alamo Drafthouse Woodbury

https://dallas.culturemap.com/news/entertainment/alamo-drafthouse-cinema-dfw-sked/
double aught
AG
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.