Metroplex
Sponsored by

10 lb turkeys

1,665 Views | 13 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by zag213004
zag213004
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Anyone know where I could find small turkeys preferably unfrozen in the Keller/Saginaw/alliance area? Everything I am finding is at a minimum 13 lbs frozen. Long and short, I'm looking to spatchcock a turkey and cook on pellet grill and the surface area is relatively small to cook on. I would like to test it out but unfreezing takes time so an unfrozen bird would be best
wbt5845
AG
Good luck - smallest I could find was 14 lb
dgb99
AG
Not unfrozen and not exactly in your location but the Kroger by me (Plano) had a ton of relatively small turkeys (10-12 lbs). \

All were Kroger branded although in different packaging than the 'normal' size turkeys (14+ lbs).
JaceAG12
Unless you like dark meat why not just do two packages of breasts? Cooks great on the pellet grill.
HouseDivided06
AG
Ha, we might be close to each other. I got mine at the Kroger at Custer and Parker. Got a 12 lb butterball but they had 8-10 lb butterballs there as well. This was last Sunday.
FincAg
AG
JaceAG12 said:

Unless you like dark meat why not just do two packages of breasts? Cooks great on the pellet grill.
This.

I have done whole smoked turkey and end up with great stock for turkey gumbo, but the annoyance of trying to not over cook has me simply doing a lone breast and a mess of sausage this year.

That being said, you can spatchcock the bird and cook more evenly. I would like to try that but not experiment with guests.
Bird93
AG
I just bought two 11 lb. Fresh Butterballs at the Market Street in Colleyville.
Bernard Kansas
Water thaw it. 30 mins a 1/2 pound. Keep it submerged and change the water out every 30 minutes with tap water.

FunkyTownAg
AG
Central Market in Fort Worth had some smaller organic ones.
Mr Gigem
AG
FunkyTownAg said:

Central Market in Fort Worth had some smaller organic ones.
This. Just bought 6.5 lb frozen turkey breast at this location. Plan on smoking this and a whole turkey on my Traeger for the family on Thursday.

If you go this route, you better buy right now and stick it in the fridge to thaw. It takes forever.
FunkyTownAg
AG
I switched over to just smoking the turkey breasts years ago. Those Marys turkeys are massive. Got two 8 lb breasts. Pricey but worth it. try dumping a bunch of rendered bacon fat when you go to wrap it
Mr Gigem
AG
I'm probably going to leave unwrapped. 275 the whole way. That's I did for my test run a couple weeks ago and it turned out great
CoppellAg93
AG
zwhag2010 said:

I'm looking to spatchcock a turkey
Is that even legal ???
zag213004
AG
Thanks to all! I've been seeing more turkeys and was able to find smaller one and did a test cook. I am Not able to post photos here but it turned out great! Did the spatchcock and a Cajun (fiesta brand) seasoned turkey, put salt on it and let it dry brine in fridge overnight, in the morning on I injected the turkey with Cajun seasoning, butter, broth, and hot sauce and put it on the pellet grill. Took about 3-4 hrs at 275

Will repeat for the family

Edit* turkey I did test cook on was 11.25 lbs frozen. The main event will be a 12.5 lb turkey.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.