Metroplex
Sponsored by

Pork Butts - Kroger has them for $.97/LB

10,782 Views | 70 Replies | Last: 3 mo ago by AgFB
agcrock2005
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
That's stupid cheap. Limit two but you may or may not be able to walk in and out of the store 5 times in a row.
craig09
AG
You trying to fill up that giant freezer you blindly bought for your garage?
agcrock2005
AG
craig09 said:

You trying to fill up that giant freezer you blindly bought for your garage?
Lol. I've actually gotten into making various sausage links, and breakfast sausages which require a lot of pork butts. It's a pretty fun hobby, but can be expensive as hell when pork butts are selling at $2.50-$3.00/lb like they are.
craig09
AG
When are you going to set up your tent store at the neighborhood pool selling smoked or grilled sausages (and probably beer)?
AW 1880
AG
Thanks for the heads up. I will be grabbing a couple of butts. I like pig butts and I cannot lie.
agcrock2005
AG
craig09 said:

When are you going to set up your tent store at the neighborhood pool selling smoked or grilled sausages (and probably beer)?
I actually just got a logo and have ordered some waterproof labels to start sticking on the vacuum sealed packages. Building up some inventory before I tell everyone that I have it. I've been doing 20 lb batches every weekend and any time I tell people about it they buy it all. Has been fun.
craig09
AG
I need to jump in line next time you finish a batch. My 3 yr old daughter loves when I cook sausage into a meal or just grill some and slice it.
permabull
AG
jograki
AG
Thanks for the heads up, grabbed 2 today!
agcrock2005
AG
craig09 said:

I need to jump in line next time you finish a batch. My 3 yr old daughter loves when I cook sausage into a meal or just grill some and slice it.
What part of DFW are you in? I'm in Argyle area, but happy to let you try some when I build up some more inventory. Every night my boys ask if I can take them to the neighborhood pool and grill some sausage for them. Cool when the family likes it.
craig09
AG
I'm just up the road from you in Ponder. I got some axis and deer meat from you last year.
agcrock2005
AG
craig09 said:

I'm just up the road from you in Ponder. I got some axis and deer meat from you last year.
Awesome. I remember. I'll let you know when I have some inventory and you can stop by for some beer and bbq if you want as well.
schwabbin
AG
They've been running this 97 cent special every couple months for a couple years now. It's a great deal. I keep expecting the floor price of their sales to go up with everything else. Also, if they run out, they will do a 60-day rain check on the price.
aezmvp
schwabbin said:

They've been running this 97 cent special every couple months for a couple years now. It's a great deal. I keep expecting the floor price of their sales to go up with everything else. Also, if they run out, they will do a 60-day rain check on the price.
Good to know. I've been looking for an excuse to practice pulled pork.
agcrock2005
AG
schwabbin said:

Didn't know about the 60-day rain check, but I have also been very surprised how regularly they do this sale. I'm afraid they can't keep doing it for long though with the rise in costs for everything else in the world right now. Even the loss leaders have to move up some I'd imagine in this environment!
FincAg
AG
They used to not limit you to two.
agcrock2005
AG
FincAg said:

They still do. Sale happening again...I just forgot to get something 5 times.

HomeFinderCody
Sponsor
AG
agcrock2005 said:

FincAg said:

They still do. Sale happening again...I just forgot to get something 5 times.

is this from last time, or is the sale on again?
Sponsor Message: Need real estate help in North Texas? Click Here to Save $500
agcrock2005
AG
Started today. Not sure how long it goes, but probably through the weekend. Limit of two but you can go in and out. Lol
planoaggie123
AG
Curious about this as well. Currently on sale?
agcrock2005
AG
I feel like I've said it twice already, but YES, the sale started today.
planoaggie123
AG
I don't read good!!!
agcrock2005
planoaggie123
AG
Picked up two. I just got a PK Grill and going to try and do a bit of smoking on occasion for football season. This is an inexpensive way to get started.
agcrock2005
AG
planoaggie123 said:

Picked up two. I just got a PK Grill and going to try and do a bit of smoking on occasion for football season. This is an inexpensive way to get started.
They're probably the easiest thing you can smoke since they're so fatty, so good meat to learn on.
planoaggie123
AG
agcrock2005 said:

planoaggie123 said:

They're probably the easiest thing you can smoke since they're so fatty, so good meat to learn on.

That's what I figured. Hard(er) to mess up and cheap and good if I do it right. Ready for slightly cooler temps and football.
HomeFinderCody
Sponsor
AG
picked up 4....have one on the BGE right now...thanks for the heads up!
Sponsor Message: Need real estate help in North Texas? Click Here to Save $500
coastalAg
AG
Thanks for the heads up! I ended up getting six. Carnitas last night and will do some pulled pork on Labor Day.
agcrock2005
AG
Glad this thread helped a few folks. I'll try to update whenever (if) they run it again. FYI, they're still running it today. I went by at lunch and grabbed a couple more.
FDXAg
AG
I got 2. Stuck them both in freezer. So if I wanted to smoke one on Saturday, how early in week do I need to transfer it from freezer to fridge? Pull it out Thursday morning to give it 2 full days to thaw out?
agcrock2005
AG
Pull it out Friday morning and put it on your kitchen counter. When you get ready for a beer at 5 it will be ready for you to inject and/or season.
FincAg
AG
Butts are back to .97 tomorrow
schwabbin
AG
FincAg said:

Butts are back to .97 tomorrow
If they're out, don't forget to grab a raincheck good for 30 days.
Know Your Enemy
AG
Grabbed a couple yesterday. First one went in the crock pot as soon as I got home. Appreciate the heads up.
jograki
AG
Bumping since it was helpful when agcrock shared last time. 97 cents/lb again through Tues at Kroger.
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.