Metroplex
Sponsored by

Housing Permits Down double digit % in North DFW

2,116 Views | 13 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by The Collective
Red Pear Luke (BCS)
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Sponsor
AG
https://www.bizjournals.com/dallas/news/2022/06/11/building-permits-slumping-dallas-frisco-celina.html
hoosier-daddy
Paywall but I assume it's bc of the completely obvious bubble bursting? Inflation and the realization that Texas isn't really cheaper bc property tax $ > income tax $. Close?
Red Pear Luke (BCS)
Sponsor
AG
" Frisco has fallen 42% for the year. Celina's slid 34%. Prosper has plunged 17%. Princeton and McKinney are down 14% and 11%, respectively.

Those percentages represent the year-to-date drop in single-family home building permits compared to the same January through May period last year.

A combination of supply-chain challenges for builders, higher mortgage rates, inflation, higher building materials costs and labor shortages, and general economic uncertainty are some of the reasons being cited for a slowdown in construction."

Yesterday
AG
I have to imagine the economic uncertainty parlayed with high interest rates has to be the number one cause. Not too many willing to invest in new construction if they think the economy is going to implode.
riverrataggie
AG
Good. It was out of control.
Yesterday
AG
riverrataggie said:

I don't think this is a sign that prices will come down. It may even be the opposite since they are not building as many houses to meet the demand. But I am also not an expert and could be totally wrong
coastalAg
AG
Yesterday said:

riverrataggie said:

I don't think this is a sign that prices will come down. It may even be the opposite since they are not building as many houses to meet the demand. But I am also not an expert and could be totally wrong
My anecdotal observation from someone that has been looking in the market since March...

It seems like things started to slow way down in late May. Started seeing fewer buyers out looking at new showings and in open houses. Houses we were interested in were also seeing far fewer offers.

We just went under contract this weekend on a home with one other offer at a $/sq ft below where things were a few months ago.

The price floor has definitely risen permanently, but I think the market has peaked for now and there are a lot of overpriced homes on the market that will need to come down to move.

There is still a shortage of housing in the area relative to the long term population shift so things will probably stay relatively flat for a couple of years until the economy corrects. Will be some opportunities for those with the financial flexibility to take advantage.

Just my 2 cents.
YouBet
AG
Said it before but I'm assuming this is still primarily in the <$1M home price range. Above $1M in my hood is still going and blowing from what I can tell.

Would this possibly mean that labor and resources become more available for existing home renos? I would assume so if builders are willing to do that in an effort to offset lost revenue from new builds.
The Collective
AG
YouBet said:

Above $1M in my hood is still going and blowing from what I can tell.

Well done. Cue up the Vivaldi.
ChoppinDs40
AG
YouBet said:

Said it before but I'm assuming this is still primarily in the <$1M home price range. Above $1M in my hood is still going and blowing from what I can tell.

Would this possibly mean that labor and resources become more available for existing home renos? I would assume so if builders are willing to do that in an effort to offset lost revenue from new builds.
it's slowed down in my development as well but that's from "NO MORE LOTS SORRY 400 PEOPLE ON THE WAIT LIST" and homes going for 400/sqft to... "yeah maybe we'll take 30k off that"

even still... my exact same floorplan in a new section across the street is going for 2x what we signed in Jan '20.

the permit # is staggering in Frisco though, that's nuts. What used to be a 4-5 month build is now turning into 12 months, minimum, out here.

I think you're in Southlake? this is in Prosper. Southlake will always have that green flowing in.
Fannie Luddite
AG
Prices are going up such that Kindred homes pulled the rug from a buyer with which they had a contract just days before closing and re-listed for $300K higher. Nice folks!

https://www.fox4news.com/news/canceled-for-convenience-north-texas-family-loses-home-after-builder-backs-out-without-warning
Yesterday
AG
Fannie Luddite said:

Prices are going up such that Kindred homes pulled the rug from a buyer with which they had a contract just days before closing and re-listed for $300K higher. Nice folks!

https://www.fox4news.com/news/canceled-for-convenience-north-texas-family-loses-home-after-builder-backs-out-without-warning

Brutal!! I'm almost always pro business and "should have read the fine print" type of guy but that is just terrible business.
YouBet
AG
Fannie Luddite said:

Why have contracts then.
The Collective
AG
Yea, I think that is total crap. Just because something is allowable under the terms of the contract doesn't make it the right thing to do.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.