Metroplex
Sponsored by

Camping suggestions

1,936 Views | 19 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by RolloInsurance_Diego
aggiereggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Looking for a nice area to tent camp within 2-3 hours of DFW, but open to all suggestions. Looking for ones with easy hikes with a 2 year old and pregnant wife. We've been to Ray Roberts, Texoma and Broken Bow (our favorite, but might be too far this time).

Does anyone know if the parks are full due to the hurricane evacuees? Is there currently a fire ban?

Thanks!
PTXaggie08
AG
Check out Dinosaur Valley State Park in Glen Rose. I've "camped" and "hiked" there. It's perfect for kids.
fourth deck
AG
+1 for Dinosaur Valley. That was my favorite park growing up.
SuzyQ06
Cleburne State Park; Cedar Hill State Park; Mineral Wells State Park.

Never been to Cleburne or Cedar Hill state parks, but I hear that they are really good. I am from Cleburne and was blown away when I heard that people from "not around here" travel to go to Cleburne State Park. Apparently, it is pretty good...but again, I've never been there.

Mineral Wells State Park has everything, from water to rock climbing to hiking. It was great. We loved it.
DadAG10
Daingerfield
swc93
AG
Eisenhower State Park has excellent tent areas; each decently shielded with trees from the others.

Camp sites are up high so you can get a great view of the lake; lots of trails of various degrees of difficulty.

Facilities where nice for state parks.
drewser95
AG
aggiereggie said:

Does anyone know if the parks are full due to the hurricane evacuees? Is there currently a fire ban?
As far as general capacity, you should be good north of B/CS (e.g., the two at Lake Somerville are closed to general public due to evacuees).
Texas State Parks with Alerts

This is the most up-to-date resource for burn bans, as far as I know.
culdeus
AG
Tons of great state parks in area. Best all around imo is mineral wells. Meridian comes in second.

Honestly all are good with exception of joe pool imo.

I've been to basically all of them within a 2hrs drive of dfw in any direction so if you have specific questions let me know.
Chughes88
AG
Lake Whitney is really nice, good fishing.
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
Lake Fannin is one of the best hidden gems in the area.
Great trails. In a few weeks, it's really beautiful with the leaves changing colors.
erin2003
AG
Just got back from Ft. Parker near Mexia - it's moved to the top of my list of parks within 2 hours of DFW. It's a small park (only 25 water + electric sties), but all sites near the private lake, fishing pier, easy hiking and you can rent a canoe oy kayak to go out on the lake.
CampingAg
AG
Another vote here for Dinosaur Valley. There's only like 30-something campsites and we've found it almost impossible to reserve one unless it's months in advance.
Hincemm
AG
I'm in the Keller area. Best recs for close by (less than an hour)?
Joe Exotic
AG
Lake Mineral Wells
Chughes88
AG
Lake Benbrook or Ray Roberts. Benbrook isn't a state park, so regulations are a little more relaxed. Ray Roberts has great hiking and sandbass fishing.
Hincemm
AG
looks like ray roberts is the best bet for me (love glenrose and the like...a little far too south)...any tips on campsites to look for?

johnson branch or isle du bois?
The Collective
AG
I like Lake MW too. Easy drive and there is a Wal Mart within 5 minutes if you forget something.
Chughes88
AG
Isle du Bois is the nicer of the two, IMO, but Johnson Branch has usually had more openings when I've gone.
ursusguy
AG
I like Cedar Hill, but I also officed out of that park for 12 years. I prefer it during colder months. Oddly enough, Cedar Hill has a LOT of rattlesnakes.
Joe Exotic
AG
I used to love Cedar Hill until my favorite water front sites began to literally fall into the lake.

I'm very excited for the new site specific reservation system coming online in 2018. There's no bigger beating than getting to the park and seeing that some reunion or group has had one member take up every decent site.
RolloInsurance_Diego
We have camped at Cooper Lake a few times and enjoyed it!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.