Metroplex
Sponsored by

Custom Home Builder in Rockwall/Heath

5,784 Views | 12 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by DuckDown2013
Enviroag02
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
We are purchasing a half acre lot in Heath shortly and are in the process of meeting with custom builders. Does anyone have experience with a custom builder in the area, and if so what do you expect a typical $/sq ft for a nicely appointed 3,000 sq ft house not including the cost of the lot? This would include site clearing of a heavily wooded lot. Just trying to figure out when we should give up on finding a better deal and pull the trigger.
Jill
AG
Don't have an idea on price but can vouch for Dean Cathey of Cathey Homes.
IFeelLikeLarryDavid
I would recommend staying away from Scott Lewis.
Enviroag02
AG
I had actually heard good reviews of Scott Lewis. Hmm. So far we have talked with one, Riverstone Custom Homes, and he gave an estimate of $120/AC sq ft without the cost of the lot. That seemed a bit steep to me.
IFeelLikeLarryDavid
I live in a Scott Lewis custom home and would not recommend him to anyone.
Enviroag02
AG
What kind of issues are you having with the home? If you prefer to discuss over email, its my screename at yahoo.
IFeelLikeLarryDavid
Check your mail.
BeatTheHell
AG
Cliff Lewis does good work. A suggestion would be to use my realtor. He knows all the area builders and can negotiate prices for you. He knows how to play the game, get a price and then drop a few items to really get the best deal for you. If you used him, you would save money on your house and will avoid making some of the mistakes people make building custom homes. He's literally saved me $100,000+ over the years. Email me if interested.
Enviroag02
AG
Thanks but forum sponsor Cody is already my long time realtor.
BeatTheHell
AG
Then he'll be able to save you some money and avoid some of the pitfalls of building a custom home. Many people try to do it on their own without a realtor. Saves you a lot of money if you have a realtor that knows what they are doing. Sounds like you do so that's good. Best of luck! We love this area!
novcruisin
IFeelLikeLarryDavid said:

I live in a Scott Lewis custom home and would not recommend him to anyone.
I know this is many, many years past. I am building a custom home in Rockwall and was strongly considering using Scott Lewis. Could you please let me know your concerns? Thank you!
wilhunting
AG
Chad Hudson 99'
Savoy Builders
Diffyq
Hello, we purchased a C. Scott Lewis home 11 months ago. It was a home built as a spec in Heath. Overall, his finish-out is far superior to some builders we looked at but in the past year, with new construction more prolific, I think there are others who do at least as well. Our home has had numerous issues & while his foreman is super nice, he is terrible about actually coordinating repairs. I just had a professional inspector come out (1 year warranty deadline) and he found many things I wasn't aware of (significant concerns, not cosmetic) so I'm curious to find out what Scott's level of follow-through and customer service will be. All in all, I have a nice home but I think the builder is spread too thin with multiple developments under construction --> too many subcontractors and no real quality control (and this I say because I've watched his crews build 7 homes on my street during the past 11 months and there is significant variance occurring). I would suggest planning to be on your build site at least every other day and really pushing for quality workmanship (or hire someone to for you).
DuckDown2013
AG
I can't voich for Cliff Lewis as a builder, but can vouch for him as a person as I interact with him in a non-work setting weekly. Great guy who has built both residential and commercial in the area.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.