Austin
Sponsored by

Change to the land development code

1,987 Views | 5 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by PabloSerna
Red Pear Felipe
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Sponsor
AG
46K new possible housing units

Quote:

Builders in Austin can now take advantage of a change in city code that will allow for the development of residential properties on land zoned for commercial use.

The change to the land development code, which Austin City Council approved on Dec. 2, carries major implications for real estate firms, significantly expanding the market for development. It also represents another avenue for cutting into Austin's housing shortage: city staffers previously estimated this decision could allow for the creation of 46,324 new homes.

Developers will still need to apply to build residential projects in commercial areas and will have to meet certain criteria, including around affordability. The change incentivizes the creation of affordable housing by increasing permissible floor-to-area ratios and, if the project is mixed-use, increased height permissions.

Sponsor Message: We Split Commissions. Full Service Agents in Austin, Bryan-College Station, Dallas-Fort Worth, Houston and San Antonio. Red Pear RealtyAustin Monthly
tamc93
AG
There are still enforceable deed restrictions and plat notes that restrict it to non-residential property.

Both are a pain to clean up so you have a clear title.
FJB, FPA, and FAZ
PabloSerna
AG
Workforce housing is a real need not just in Austin, but all over Central Texas. Kudos to Austin for finding a way!
Hanrahan
AG
and yet the city will still bury any of that development in endless delayed and revised plat development requirements, then inspections, failed, reinspected, re-failed for different reasons, reinspected, delayed inspection, failed again for yet another new set of reasons that contradict the first set and then fail it again for good measure while they come up with a few new fees to tack on then ***** about how greedy developers don't want to build affordable housing....
MouthBQ98
AG
Austin area permitting for construction is several TIMES slower than equivalent processes in San Antonio just down the road. I work in an industry that regularly requests utility permits and our peers in other cities in the state can't believe how long we forecast for permitting delays.
PabloSerna
AG
While the review process can be improved, I have found the effort worth the investment of time. Just this week, I completed a Erosion Hazard Zone analysis for one of my projects. The City requires this document as part of the watershed review. The client had complained of some settlement along the rear of the property where a creek was located. Turns out a portion of the house is actually within the EHZ. This will require some additional attention by the engineering for the piers, but the fact that we caught this now means that we can incorporate a design that will benefit the homeowner in the long run. I doubt this would have been caught, much less requested, in SA.

Austin's land development code, although complicated, is a good thing IMO.

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.