Austin
Sponsored by

Airport pickup this week

1,815 Views | 9 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by tamc93
SouthernRaisedYankee
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I have family flying in about 9:30am on 11/23. Anyone have an idea of what pickup at the airport might look like around then? Is the cell phone lot a safe bet, or should I expect traffic to be backed up on 71? Thoughts on what time I should get there by to avoid waiting in traffic to get them?
Keeper of The Spirits
AG
You could just park in the terminal parking and meet them at baggage claim
D Nauti
Picked up the wife on a Friday afternoon back in August and there is now a Whataburger and a convenience store where the cell phone lot was. Fortunately she called as I was creeping through the parking lot with no empty spaces.
The Black Tinoceros
AG
Cell phone lot is small, but nice. Plenty of snack options in the convenience store and also the Whataburger is a nice touch. Bring a book or watch The Pulse on your phone and cry while you wait. I like to tell my family (if they are on the mobile side) to walk all the way to the right when they get out from baggage claim. You can cruise past 80% of the arrival traffic who are picking up people in the first 2/3. Just stay in the left lane until the midway point.
Aston 91
AG
The Black Tinoceros said:

I like to tell my family (if they are on the mobile side) to walk all the way to the right when they get out from baggage claim. You can cruise past 80% of the arrival traffic who are picking up people in the first 2/3. Just stay in the left lane until the midway point.
I've also told people I'm picking up to go upstairs to the departure/dropoff level. It doesn't seem to back up nearly as bad as the arrival/pickup level downstairs. I seem to recall for one holiday the airport even had digital signs telling people to pickup passengers at the upper level.
Schrute Farms
ABIA is hit or miss with traffic. The Cell Phone Lot isn't too bad with the new What-A-Burger. The Starbucks at HWY 71 & Cardinal Loop is also perfect for waiting on a morning flight.

If they call as soon as they exit the plane, it shouldn't take long at all to reach them in the pickup line. The cheat code is to accidentally get into the commercial drop off lane (far left) and have them meet you on the parking garage side.
Billy Foster
AG
We flew out yesterday and the pickup/arrival line was a disaster. At one point it was backed up to 71. I would try to go into the short term parking vs drive through the arrival line.
craftyaggie
We do the same thing (go all the way to the end), but I get irrationally (or maybe rationally) pissed off when I see that the "left side" has lanes blocked off with ABIA vehicles just sitting there unused. Move those vehicles and open more damn lanes!
Mookie
AG
I have parked my car at airport fast park and take the bus over to the terminal. Meet your party at the baggage claim, then take the bus back. Easy in and out and costs like $7
tamc93
AG
They have short term parking on the old rental car area of the garage closest to the terminal for $5.00/hour now. Bypass all of the traffic.

Also, all lanes are now (previously restricted to commercial/buses) for pick up/drop off on both decks.
FJB, FPA, and FAZ
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.