Austin
Sponsored by

2022 Property Taxes

7,417 Views | 78 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by HECUBUS
Red Pear Felipe
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Sponsor
AG
https://www.kxan.com/news/local/austin/never-seen-anything-like-this-realtors-caution-dramatic-tax-bill-hikes-for-new-homeowners/

From the article:

As home values have increased dramatically in Central Texas, Warren said that burden will be felt by new homeowners on their tax bill, as well as by landlords who will be left grappling with rent hikes if they aren't escrowing enough.

"Landlords, if you're leveraged on your mortgage, you're going to be negative cashflow on your property and if you're not escrowing enough, you could easily be out $1,000 a month, and then the landlord could default," he said. "So it's horrible."

The statewide deadline to file a protest to dispute a home's appraised value is May 16.
Sponsor Message: We Split Commissions. Full Service Agents in Austin, Bryan-College Station, Dallas-Fort Worth, Houston and San Antonio. Red Pear RealtyAustin Monthly
rcannaday
AG
The bigger issue not being reported is that Travis County Appraisal district for whole swaths went and removed homestead exemptions cart, Blanche, for some reason. Many people I know all got notices that their homestead exemptions were removed for no reason, and are scrambling to refile.
Red Pear Felipe
Sponsor
AG
rcannaday said:

The bigger issue not being reported is that Travis County Appraisal district for whole swaths went and removed homestead exemptions cart, Blanche, for some reason. Many people I know all got notices that their homestead exemptions were removed for no reason, and are scrambling to refile.

I would hate to be in those shoes. I'm still waiting on my tax appraisal from Hays CAD. They mentioned they'd be sending them next week possibly.
Sponsor Message: We Split Commissions. Full Service Agents in Austin, Bryan-College Station, Dallas-Fort Worth, Houston and San Antonio. Red Pear RealtyAustin Monthly
tamc93
AG
You know it is going to bad when the appraisal district is preparing you.

https://traviscad.org/update/a-message-from-the-chief-appraiser/
Aston 91
AG
tamc93 said:

You know it is going to bad when the appraisal district is preparing you.

https://traviscad.org/update/a-message-from-the-chief-appraiser/
I know she's just trying to prepare us for the shock that is coming, but patronizing statements like this don't help:

"As we continue to navigate the local housing market together, the appraisal district is here to answer your questions and provide you with the resources you need to navigate the property tax system..."

We're in this together? Great! Write me a big fat check to cover the amount my taxes are going up.
Keeper of The Spirits
AG
Also require that anyone who works for Travis County must live in Travis County
AggieMoe
Mine just posted. If you don't have a homestead exemption you may want to enjoy a strong beverage before checking.
tamc93
AG
Ow....I knew they were going to be high, but they shot for the moon.

+515k in one year...more than I paid for the house.

Thank goodness for the cap.
jopatura
AG
Phew $595k for my house. They went hard. I'm going to have to figure out this protest process since that's a little high for my area, especially on Jan 1.
Red Pear Felipe
Sponsor
AG
I looked at my previous house that's in south Austin. The land value jumped from $75k to $200k! How can Travis CAD do that? Travis CAD also removed their homestead exemption.
evan_aggie
AG
Lol. They just posted. My friend in lost creek went from 1.4 to 2.5 in one year, but HS cap will keep it $150k a year.
The Silverback
AG
I hate paying taxes as much as anyone....but I never understood the hatred and distain for property taxes when the reality is they are still typically 5-30% LOWER than the actual market value of your property.
JAW3336
AG
The Silverback said:

I hate paying taxes as much as anyone....but I never understood the hatred and distain for property taxes when the reality is they are still typically 5-30% LOWER than the actual market value of your property.
That is not the case with many in the Austin area currently. Mine is 10% above the actual value of my property.
Attack life, It's going to kill you anyway!
tamc93
AG
The Silverback said:

Not this year. They auto corrected everything for me.

FJB
jopatura
AG
The Silverback said:

The Chief Appraiser said they would be fixing that this year and striving for 100% of market value.
evan_aggie
AG
The Silverback said:

It's dumb system. The money taken in through tax revenue was sufficient for 70-80% of market value. This is why rates are 2.5% give or take.

They should take off a few tenths of a % in assessed tax rate to balance the scales without everyone getting reamed.

In Pittsburgh I think values are assessed at 25-30% market value but rates are 4% . That is what I recall from a friend many years ago.
JAW3336
AG
evan_aggie said:

The Silverback said:

It's dumb system. The money taken in through tax revenue was sufficient for 70-80% of market value. This is why rates are 2.5% give or take.

They should take off a few tenths of a % in assessed tax rate to balance the scales without everyone getting reamed.

In Pittsburgh I think values are assessed at 25-30% market value but rates are 4% . That is what I recall from a friend many years ago.
In Round Rock our rate has gone from 2.35 down to 2.07 approx in the past 2 years.
Furlock Bones
AG
great. traviscad won't load.
jopatura
AG
Furlock Bones said:

great. traviscad won't load.

https://stage.travis.prodigycad.com/
Furlock Bones
AG
painful thanks. 40% increase in appraised value.
Spider69
AG
The empty lot behind our home with NO ACCESS, NO UTILITIES went from $8,000 in 2021 that we bought last year for $15,500 just as a buffer for our view went to $79,500 in 2022!
Furlock Bones
AG
Assuming it touches your homestead, you need to get it replatted as part of your homestead property.
Aston 91
AG
Our appraisal went up about 50%, which basically guarantees a 10% increase for the next 5 years (and probably forever). Assuming the rates don't go down (fat chance), that means our taxes will be about $20k in 5 years when I'd like to be retired. I know we Texans like to brag about no state income tax, but I think I can find a few places to live with a property+state income tax burden of less than $20k year - particularly when my income will be based on long term investments. Guess it's time to start scouting out retirement locations.
SteveBott
AG
I'm in Round Rock and I've had 10% increases 6 of 7 years. This year it jumped 50k more then I thought it would
rcannaday
AG
Holy ***** -- mine jumped $500k
JAW3336
AG
Mine went up 75% in RR. I am hoping it will go up double or triple that in the next 2-3 years.
MosesHallRAB04
AG
Is it even worth protesting through a company this year? Seems like it would just be pissing money away because of what homes are selling for. The comps are all all stupid
Red Pear Felipe
Sponsor
AG
https://www.kvue.com/article/news/local/central-texans-sticker-shock-2022-property-appraisals/269-cdd25588-e4ae-413b-803d-30ebd552f7d4?fbclid=IwAR1gj3FZqninYHRn9FsV6Q3ROIIdO9DugXNXjo_IoY1OCiC7KUEyGJIepjo

Quote:

The chief appraiser for Travis County, Marya Crigler, said the figures are shocking but they were expected.
"It really is an issue of supply and demand in the Austin area. We have tremendous demand for housing, but very limited supply," Crigler said. "A stabilized market should have four to six months of housing inventory in Austin. We've been below one month for over a year," she added.
Furlock Bones
AG
It appears Crigler doesn't even own property in TCAD.
Furlock Bones
AG
It also looks like she's been able to keep her Wilco increases minimal every year. Amazing how that works.

https://search.wcad.org/Property-Detail/PropertyQuickRefID/R350809/PartyQuickRefID/O0412281
HECUBUS
AG
Our '22 increase is four times the original purchase price in '91.
Hudson2508
AG
Geez, this is really bad news for the City collectively. Rents were already unsustainable and this will compound the problem. I have no clue how young people will be able to afford this City moving forward.
lucid
AG
80% increase. Thank God for the homestead exemption.
evan_aggie
AG
How long does that save people? 5 years? 6?

And the pain will increase each year. ****ing prop A didn't help.
HECUBUS
AG
Since most of your tax dollars go to school tax, and most of that (>70% here) gets reclaimed, rural Texas is up for another round of football stadium upgrades.
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.