Austin
Sponsored by

restaurant recs - downtown/South Austin

2,907 Views | 30 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by mcope514
SLF11
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Looking for restaurant recs for this Saturday in south Austin/down town area (loosely)... my fiance and i are heading into town to do some wedding shopping and are looking for a place to eat dinner.

We have a 5:00 fitting appt at the Domain, but will be staying downtown/along S. Congress.

Would love guidance on getting in outside of reservations because most of those are pretty well taken... She's not fussy, but would like a good/fun experience.

The Fall Guy
AG
Matt's El Ranchero.

Evangeline Cafe

ECC
AG
I 2nd Matt's El Ranco

Loro is another great spot.
wadd96
AG
Hard pass on Matt's. Sorry guys. It's way overrated.

Foreign and Domestic
Buenos Aires, Este
Salt & Time
Uchi
All the God's, all the Heavens, all the Hells are within you.
JT88
AG
https://mattiesaustin.com/
Is beautiful & food is good. They have some reservations, but I think they keep tables for walk-ups. Call and ask. Get there before sunset as he peacocks strolling zur grounds are pretty cool.

ATX Cocina is "busier" and excellent as well, closer in to town.
Josey Wales: Now remember, things look bad and it looks like you're not gonna make it, then you gotta get mean. I mean plumb mad dog mean. 'Cause if you lose your head and you give up then you neither live nor win. That's just the way it is.
BrokeAssAggie
Aba is a really cool spot not far at all from where you are staying. You might be able to walk up and get a table but I'm sure there will be a wait. Next choice would be Tiny Boxwoods or Perlas

https://www.abarestaurants.com/

https://www.tinyboxwoods.com/

https://perlasaustin.com/

Potcake
AG
El Alma
The Silverback
AG
Reality is they wont be able to get in anywhere worth a damn on Saturday night. Matt's usually has a 2+ hour wait on Saturdays. Uchi is booked weeks out. Aba might be the hardest to get in of all of those previously mentioned.

Going to have to roll dice and get lucky at bar seating somewhere. Or maybe try Central Standard, its juts OK and limited menu but great location and good chance you might get a table there
Furlock Bones
AG
wadd96 said:

Hard pass on Matt's. Sorry guys. It's way overrated.

Foreign and Domestic
Buenos Aires, Este
Salt & Time
Uchi

El Rancho isn't just overrated. It's actually not very good.
JT88
AG
Enjoyable for:
Large Bob and a Mexican martini.
Pralines.
Chips/salsa.
Sitting outside.
Iced tea.

Parking is awful.
always crowded.
Furlock Bones
AG
Loro will be busy. But probably your best bet to get in under an hour since they have a pretty good outside area.

As mentioned above, it will be tough everywhere.
Tobias Funke
AG
Loro is where I always take visitors and everyone loves it.

Polvos is solid.

Uchi happy hour is pretty great (just went for the first time yesterday)
500,000ags
AG
I'd recommend Jacoby's or Grizzelda's, then walking over to Central Machine Works afterwards.
McInnis80
ECC said:

I 2nd Matt's El Ranco

Loro is another great spot.
Matt's is your father's Mexican food, especially if Dad went to UT in the 60's and 70's. I am a sucker for it, but you can find a whole lot better food.
Btron
AG
500,000ags said:

I'd recommend Jacoby's or Grizzelda's, then walking over to Central Machine Works afterwards.

+1

Have to warn you, but we have a homeless camping problem. You might have heard of it but the further south you go the stronger it gets.
Keeper of The Spirits
AG
Matt's food isn't the best but the atmosphere is awesome. The food is better than any TexMex in Dallas for sure. Lots of look how cool I am because I don't like something universally popular on this thread. The bar isn't open yet so they make you wait outside but the last few time I have been they said 1 hour wait and it was under 15 mins. Have a few cold beers in the car JIC

That being said Loro is probably my favorite casual spot, there is a new easy Tiger on South Lamar, Launderette is another favorite that always has walk up but it central southeast
wadd96
AG
Better than any Tex Mex in Dallas. Pretty low bar. Like being the best football team in the BDF.
All the God's, all the Heavens, all the Hells are within you.
BlazingSaddles
Aviary on South Lamar.

Trust me, both of you will like it especially her. Walk across the street to Loro afterward for good drinks in a fun spot or next door to Black Sheep for whatever is on tv in a quasi-dive bar atmosphere.
fig96
AG
Seconded on Mattie's and Tiny Boxwoods, both awesome spots with outstanding food (and be sure to take home some cookies from Tiny's Milk & Cookies). Loro is great but will probably be packed, Easy Tiger is also great for something more casual and that new S Lamar spot has an awesome deck view (RIP Red's Porch).

For breakfast you might try Two Hands, I met the chef before it opened and it's getting great reviews (haven't been yet), Snooze is also great if you get there early to beat the lines.
https://www.twohandsnyc.com/austin-menus/

And as someone who grew up in Houston, yes Matt's El Rancho is overrated.
jmm
Two Hands is great for breakfast.

Went to Comedor last night. Every dish was outstanding.
JAW3336
AG
Went to Hestia friday night and thought it was fantastic.
Attack life, It's going to kill you anyway!
Fumbleruski
AG
+1 for Comedor. Outstanding place. Like other's have said, Loro's is fantastic casual dining.
jmm
+1 for Hestia. Very creative menu. The chef's menu is excellent!
AggieOO
Keeper of The Spirits said:

Matt's food isn't the best but the atmosphere is awesome.
did we go to the same place? I felt like i was at an olive garden.
SLF11
AG
Ended up at Aba... great vibe and food. Maybe the best hummus I've ever had (not saying too much). 2 hour wait so we went down to Rainey while waiting. Thanks for all the recs.

PS. Is Covid over? I'm cool with it, based on the number of folks we saw out.
evan_aggie
AG
Fumbleruski said:

+1 for Comedor. Outstanding place. Like other's have said, Loro's is fantastic casual dining.

Comedor for us was great bc of atmosphere but i found the food to be good... not great.
aggiederelict
Same here. Lots of places in Austin that are beautiful restaurants where the food is good but not great.
JAW3336
AG
I haven't been to Comedor so I am not judging that, I am curious where in Austin do you go for great food?
evan_aggie
AG
I've have my favorites but even some of them have had a few off nights.

Lenoir was a favorite but they changed the menu last time we went.

Vespaio, red Ash,
Fixe.
Mongers
Barley Swine (dear lord this was pricey)

Uchiko/uchi

There is an Italian place in mueller that does homemade pasta.

Odd duck.

34th street cafe
Tobias Funke
AG
SLF11 said:

Ended up at Aba... great vibe and food. Maybe the best hummus I've ever had (not saying too much). 2 hour wait so we went down to Rainey while waiting. Thanks for all the recs.

PS. Is Covid over? I'm cool with it, based on the number of folks we saw out.
If you base Austin on Rainey St, yes, Covid is definitely over.
JAW3336
AG
Thanks, I am always looking for different places. Love Uchiko and Fixe.

Been trying to get to Red Ash but it's always booked when I have the chance.
mcope514
AG
I have had the same experience but finally managed to get in because I was planning for a staycation weekend two months out and thought to check. Even then my options were only 6:00 or 9:00pm. Everything else was taken. It was great. Will definitely go back. We went with a group of four, which worked really well because it allowed us to sample more of the menu.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.