Austin
Sponsored by

Day Trip to Austin Area

2,569 Views | 21 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by KRamp90
CheersforBeers
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Me and the wife want to take a day trip to the Austin area and go on a brief hike and go do some outdoorsy stuff.

Any suggestions on places/things to do with a 1 year old?

Additionally, we are big food junkies so any suggestions on that would be great too.

Thanks in advance.
Slicer97
AG
Mount Bonnell
Walk around Zilker (unless the homeless have taken it over)
Eats - just avoid the chains. Most of the Mom&Pops will be a good experience.
Bullock Museum

Unfortunately, the best places for walking around and seeing stuff no longer exist or are often not stroller-friendly.

The cliffs at the 360 bridge offer some pretty good views and if it's too much for a one year old to hike, it's not so strenuous that you couldn't carry them.

If you arrive in time for breakfast, Kerbey Lane Cafe is a pretty good bet.

I'd avoid downtown.
ReloadAg
AG
We usually hike the Bull Creek Greenbelt with our kids. Lots of creek access and nice views. It's accessible from several places off of Loop 360 north or 2222. You could also walk the flat gravel trails around Lady Bird Lake. Lots of stuff to see down there and easy for pushing an all terrain stroller.
expresswrittenconsent
Wow, such austin specific and helpful advice
"Eats - just avoid the chains. Most of the Mom&Pops will be a good experience."
Followed by a suggestion to get breakfast at a chain.
LeagueCityAg
AG
If you go to Kerbey, make sure to go to the original. It tastes way better than the other locations.
Slicer97
AG
Well, for one, Kerbey is a local chain and two, it's not like he was asking for a specific genre of food (Titaya for Thai, Borrego de Oro for texmex, Evageline Cafe for Cajun, etc.).
CheersforBeers
Is Hill's Cafe still open? We enjoyed that place several years ago but don't know if it is open or not because of COVID.
Slicer97
AG
It closed a few years ago. Gentrification is ruining that town.
The Fall Guy
AG
Yep can't even get real.Mexican food on 1st street anymore.

It's all California white people gringo Mexican food.

Martin Cash
AG
DFWnation said:

If you go to Kerbey, make sure to go to the original. It tastes way better than the other locations.
Since he probably doesn't know which one is the original, it's on Kerbey Lane between 35th and 38th.
Slicer97
AG
Martin Cash said:

DFWnation said:

Since he probably doesn't know which one is the original, it's on Kerbey Lane between 35th and 38th.

Hence the name?

But yeah, the original is best if for nothing more than the vibe. And the coffee shop just up the street has some decent beans to take home.
Billy Foster
AG
I'd do the Greenbelt for a hike and end up at Leroy & Lewis for bbq (in the Cosmic Cafe beer garden food truck park) and enjoy some beers and the weather.
AgGrad99
AG
Some of the best breakfast spots have closed the past few years. Annies (on congress), used to be one of my favorite place to eat in this world, and it's closed now.

So many of the places I used to recommend are closed now.

Texas Chili parlor is a dump, but good food. Moonshine (downtown location) is a nice atmosphere, and good food.

If you want to get away from Downtown, the Domain has some great places to eat. Glorias is good, North is good, Culinary Dropout is great. Yardhouse is pretty good. I havent been to Urban or Punch Bowl social, but i hear they're good. It's a fun/safe atmosphere to walk around with a kiddo also.
Matsui
AG
Great idea
austinag1997
AG
AgGrad99 said:

Some of the best breakfast spots have closed the past few years. Annies (on congress), used to be one of my favorite place to eat in this world, and it's closed now.

So many of the places I used to recommend are closed now.

Texas Chili parlor is a dump, but good food. Moonshine (downtown location) is a nice atmosphere, and good food.

If you want to get away from Downtown, the Domain has some great places to eat. Glorias is good, North is good, Culinary Dropout is great. Yardhouse is pretty good. I havent been to Urban or Punch Bowl social, but i hear they're good. It's a fun/safe atmosphere to walk around with a kiddo also.

Apple Annies closed?
AgGrad99
AG
Yep. I loved going there. But it's no more.
sdc177
AG
We avoid Austin like the plague. Foreign concept hearing about someone who actually wants to visit!
Charpie
AG
Don't get Mexican food in Austin. Go to San Antonio for that.

I second Mt. Bonnel. Head to see the bats on Congress. I have no idea if the Capital is open, but that's a cool little trip.
Potcake
AG
Hold on now, there is good Mexican food to be had here and I'm not talking Tex-Mex.
El Naranjo
El Alma
Licha's Cantina
El Chile
Fonda San Miguel
Iraq2xVeteran
AG
Mount Bonnell
Barton Creek Greenbelt
Zilker Park
Onion Creek Greenbelt
Slaughter Creek Trail
wadd96
AG
AgGrad99 said:

All national chains. #hardpass

2nd in the Domain is good... Some great local options in Mueller.

Treaty Oak has a great BBQ joint, outdoor seating, and decent drinks.
All the God's, all the Heavens, all the Hells are within you.
AgGrad99
AG
Second is good. I've stayed at the Archer before...it's a nice place to stay, though sleep opposite of the bars, or you'll hear everyone going home around 2am.

Never tried Treaty Oaks. I'll do that soon.

I didnt know the others were chains (aside from assuming so about Glorias ), but they're all good.
KRamp90
AG
Wild Basin is cool.

https://www.austintexas.org/listings/wild-basin-wilderness-preserve/1741/

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.