Austin
Sponsored by

Schools virtual again?!

1,226 Views | 16 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by bloom
DrAg93
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
WTF is wrong with these people? My kids school is fine. No damage. People are struggling getting back to normal b/c of the storm, so we are going to leave them home with their parents to teach them. This is really helping the community AISD. Seriously? I am supposed to double up on cancer patients this week so the treatment delays are minimized, while supervising my children's virtual learning. I've had it. Moving out of AISD.

Edit: because of the generalization I made about schools in general, and it's detracting from the point I was trying to make, I corrected to my kids school.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
HTownAg98
My wife's school in Georgetown is supposedly closed Monday because of burst pipes. AISD also posted that many of their schools have broken and/or frozen pipes. So evidently there is some damage.
DrAg93
AG
Not according to the superintendent and principal. My kids school has power and no apparent damage. However "We want to provide our students, families, and community the opportunity to recover and reset during this time." If they told us that there was damage, and school would reopen once damage was fixed, I would be understanding. However, that is certainly NOT what they are communicating.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Complete Idiot
DrAg93 said:

WTF is wrong with these people? Schools are fine. No damage.
Incorrect, at least as a sweeping statement. There are a number of schools in LISD with water damage and I assume that may be the case for other districts in the area. LISD has still not made a decision but will tonight.

Isn't water supply still compromised in some parts of Austin? With no guarantee back up everywhere Monday?

Isn't this temporary, like maybe another week? Or how long did they say?
DrAg93
AG
Minimum 1 week. Again, highland park is fine, and I am not talking about lisd. I specifically said AISD. Also, I specifically quoted the reason given which was not due to damage. Feel free to look up the districts statement on the matter. It is not due to damage or water supply. Also,what I have read is pressure is low due to loss of storage tanks that provide pressure and a few main breaks that have been repaired. Everyone I know as of today in central austin has water, but with reduced pressure. If I am incorrect feel free to correct me on the later point.
Complete Idiot
DrAg93 said:

Minimum 1 week. Again, highland park is fine, and I am not talking about lisd. I specifically said AISD.
Yeah, no ***** I was stating LISD has schools with damage as an example. You said "schoolS are fine". How many schools have no damage in AISD? How many have damage?
DrAg93
AG
Complete Idiot said:

DrAg93 said:

Minimum 1 week. Again, highland park is fine, and I am not talking about lisd. I specifically said AISD.
Yeah, no ***** I was stating LISD has schools with damage as an example. You said "schoolS are fine". How many schools have no damage in AISD? How many have damage?

Let me get your point: All schools in the district should go to virtual learning, not the ones damaged? The district is just not really saying that damage is the reason, bit that is what they mean?
Complete Idiot
You seem very angry, please continue.

Lake Travis ISD already cancelled Monday classes. Round Rock, Leander, Eanes, and Dripping Springs still have not released their stance for this coming week. Stay tuned so you know where to move, but have the furniture on trucks ready to go.
DrAg93
AG
Thanks for your reply. Your username checks out. Thanks for your valuable input to the thread. I will indeed pay attention, bc those districts are likely to make a rational decision based on damage rather than the reasons stated by AISD
Complete Idiot
Hopefully AISD is reading this to receive your valuable input.

Just to clarify, there is NO school for AISD the next two days - not in person, not remote. It's fine to be frustrated, it's been a stressful week, and I'd want my district to at least explain their reasoning. "10% don't have power still", or "50% haven't had water", or "X number of schools damaged", etc. Something I could use to push down my own selfish desire to not be inconvenienced.

Therefore, we will not hold school, remotely or in-person, on Monday, Feb. 22nd and Tuesday, Feb. 23rd. We are tentatively planning to provide 100 percent remote instruction on Wednesday, Feb. 24th and Thursday, Feb. 25th with Friday, Feb. 26th being an asynchronous day of instruction. Please keep your children safe at home for remote learning. No students should report to campus as buses will not be running any regular routes. We do plan to provide Wi-Fi bus service in high need areas.

Face to face, in-person classes for those who have so chosen will resume Monday, March 1st.
tamc91
AG
I've heard AISD is closed until Wednesday and then virtual. What I've realized is that AISD will bend to meet the lowest expectation. If there are some kids who don't have access, then no one will have access for the sake of the ever illusive "equity". My son has 3 more months and then we're outta here asap.
HTownAg98
DrAg93 said:

Not according to the superintendent and principal. My kids school has power and no apparent damage. However "We want to provide our students, families, and community the opportunity to recover and reset during this time." If they told us that there was damage, and school would reopen once damage was fixed, I would be understanding. However, that is certainly NOT what they are communicating.

Quote:

This winter storm will undoubtedly be remembered for years to come.And while the situation has improved slightly, many families, staff and campuses are still facing power, internet, and water outages, and the entire city remains under a boil water notice. Many of our schools have frozen or broken pipes and/or have a complete lack of water pressure. Our personnel are continuing to resolve these issues but it will take some time; therefore, we ask that you please bear with us while we continue to make facility assessments and determinations as to when we will safely open schools again.

https://www.austinisd.org/announcements/2021/02/18/planning-coming-days-planificacion-para-los-proximos-dias
Seems like they said in an earlier release that there's damage. They should have at least mentioned it in passing. Their latest release is mostly feel-good bs, and it would be better to say ,"our schools sustained damage that needs to be repaired before we re-open, and it's going to take a week to repair."

Now, I understand the particular school your children attend may not have sustained damage. And I don't know if there's a district policy that says if x number of schools have to close, but it looks like they have some things to fix, and are just terrible at communicating that.
jopatura
AG
I think this year is a weird year because of the funding TEA keeps dangling like a carrot in front of the districts' faces when the students are virtual. Plus AISD in particular is completely out of makeup days on the teachers contracts. It's virtual for some funding or nothing for no money.

Pflugerville ISD took some heavy damage in some of the schools. I heard one of the elementary schools had their fire sprinkler system burst. There's more schools with damage then schools without damage. They are going to be virtual through Tuesday, then try to reopen some campuses on Wednesday.

It's a rough year, but I don't think any of them give a flying flip about COVID right now.
HTownAg98
If there's a state declared disaster area, and the district has used up their weather days, TEA usually doesn't require that the days be made up. But it's not guaranteed that will happen.
jopatura
AG
Yeah, but that doesn't get his kids in the classroom any faster. They would just be sitting at home twiddling thumbs this week instead.
AgGrad99
AG
Talked with someone firm RRISD today, and was told the days wouldn't have to be made up.

(They canceled school Monday and Tuesday)
jah003
S
Think LISD is probably up to 2 weeks of various "no school days". Absolutely no way those days would be made up. Think we are making up one snow day.

This year is just a wash honestly. It sucks, but it is. Teachers are doing to the absolute best we can. There isn't much that can be changed from a district or TEA level though. Also... most surrounding districts just follow what AISD does... so it's not like they're alone in all this. Just have to assume next year will start 100% in person and we can put this mess behind us.

Also... cramming enough grades into a 4.5 week 6 weeks is going to be quite the challenge.
bloom
I know that on some districts who have used the wording you describe "rest and recuperate, etc", the staff and teachers think they deserve and need those days to find plumbers and repair people for damaged homes and pipes. They forget that the rest of the world is off to work on Monday come Hell or (literally for some) high water. I love teachers but a few vocal ones in the right positions can push things in a negative direction. I don't see why they can't go virtual for damaged campuses and in person for the others. Bus route people can figure it out. If they had a fire at one school they would not shut down the entire district. I appreciate you pushing back a probably extensive list of personal duties to go back to work and care for your patients. MOST teachers would do the same.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.