Austin
Sponsored by

Austin Driving School - Taught a Burro to Drive?

1,803 Views | 2 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Rachel 98
Goose83
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
As a kid, I remember I remember a TV commercial with some grainy footage of what appeared to be donkey driving a jeep. Needless to say, there used to be a lot of oddball stuff like that on local TV back in the day, and it piqued my interest, but there being no internet, I kinda forgot all about it.

The other day, out of boredom, I did an internet search and came across the website for the Austin Driving School, with the slogan "we taught a burro to drive:"

https://austindrivingschool.com/about/

Unfortunately it doesn't give much information (and no mention of a commercial), but apparently I wasn't just imagining things.

Anyway, anyone else of have memories of this, or any additional info on the matter?
expresswrittenconsent
I used them for drivers ed back in the day when you needed like 13hrs driving and 13hrs observation to get your TXDL. Pretty sure that requirement ended around 1999 or so, which killed off a lot of those businesses (or transitioned them to traffic ticket dismissal classes).
Aggieangler93
AG
Took my classes there. My son recently took his in-car drivers test there. Then you just have to go by DPS to get your actual license. They do a lot more of that now, as it was a royal pain in the ass to schedule one with DPS even prior to covid. They still have a location across from RRHS.
Class of '93 - proud Dad of a '22 grad and a '26 student!
Rachel 98
AG
LOL I remember the cheesy picture of the donkey behind the wheel of a car that was the Austin Driving School logo. Always wondered what the back story was there. I took driver's ed from ADS on Bee Caves Rd back in 1992.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.