Austin
Sponsored by

Austin to put homeless in their park recreation centers.

2,403 Views | 13 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Btron
The Fall Guy
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
On cold nights.

https://www.kxan.com/news/local/austin/austin-rethinking-cold-weather-shelter-plan/

BQ78
AG
Did they buy all the hotels already?
The Fall Guy
AG
I wondered that also. Out of control
Aust Ag
AG
What happens when those fill up too? Why not use the convention center? Due to lockdown measures there won't be another convention through town for another year. Great for the economy and reducing people losing their housing, right?
MouthBQ98
AG
How are they going to get them to go? Most homeless will not comply as they risk losing their stuff to other homeless who might borrow from abandoned campsites.
mernaggie12
AG
Just visiting town this weekend. Why are there so many tent camps around?
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Swarely
The city council lifted the ban on public camping (except in front of city hall of course). Now the homeless set up camp wherever they feel. People and organizations give them free camping tents and equipment to keep them out of the elements. I am not a fan.
Keeper of The Spirits
AG
Camping ban will be back on the ballot in November
mernaggie12
AG
I was wondering where everyone got such nice tents. Some are multi people tents
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
BrokeAssAggie
mernaggie12 said:

I was wondering where everyone got such nice tents. Some are multi people tents

Underneath 290 I've seen TVs set up on a solar panel
JB
AG
We lived in Austin from 2015-18. Never thought it was really that bad compared to other cities. We were back in town for 2 weeks early January 2021.....so much worse. Tents everywhere.
AggieOO
its always been bad, it was just hidden from sight. Lifting the ban wasn't the answer, but sending them back to illegal camps isn't either...it just hides the problem. Then again, putting them out of sight is probably enough for most people.

I don't have the answer, but we definitely have a problem regardless of where these people camp.
Martin Cash
AG
BQ78 said:

They put a $6 million bid in on one that's appraised for $2 million.

The stupidity of the Austin city council cannot be overstated.
Keeper of The Spirits
AG
Better access mental health and addiction counseling is a start but ultimately there will always be some people who live on the streets.

We should be more actively prosecuting non drug offenses like theft and assault and some of those folks would be in jail. Then, some people likely need a phsych commitment. And some people will just always go where the living is free
Btron
AG
Martin Cash said:

BQ78 said:

They put a $6 million bid in on one that's appraised for $2 million.

The stupidity of the Austin city council cannot be overstated.

Has it been confirmed that only 150 people total have chosen to stay in these CoA hotels? If so, waste of tax dollars!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.