Northgate preservation effort

2,543 Views | 31 Replies | Last: 6 hrs ago by AggiePhil
ZoneClubber
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
There is a group of business owners and citizens seeking input and preservation of the Northgate district. More information on their Facebook page

https://www.facebook.com/keepnorthgatenorthgate?mibextid=ZbWKwL

Quote:

As highrises continue to go up and surround Northgate, it's vital we all come together to KEEP NORTHGATE, NORTHGATE! This historical gem dates back to the 1930's, and we must protect one of the oldest entertainment districts in Texas.

We need everyone to be active in this pursuit and attend the City of College Station Council meeting Thursday, October 24th at 6 pm. Big decisions will be made that will impact Northgate. (Conditional Use Permits)

Please share with business owners, patrons of Northgate, friends and family. Reach out to your councilmen and councilwomen and let them know Northgate needs to be protected for it's a large historical footprint in our community and all over the state of Texas. Can you imagine if Northgate didn't exist?
Tailgate88
AG
Came here to post this. Thank you!
PS3D
Quote:

Can you imagine if Northgate didn't exist?
Don't threaten me with a good time.
Buford T. Justice
AG
Drove past it the other day for the first time in a long time, and caught the red light. I was staring at "Notthgate," and it is really only a two block strip, and the side facing Texas Ave. looks terrible. It's just a matter of time before it will be gone.

The marketplace will decide what should be there.
halibut sinclair
Buford T. Justice said:

Drove past it the other day for the first time in a long time, and caught the red light. I was staring at "Notthgate," and it is really only a two block strip, and the side facing Texas Ave. looks terrible. It's just a matter of time before it will be gone.

Notthgate on Texas is hard to find.
Buford T. Justice
AG
University. Excuse me.
australopithecus robustus
Buford T. Justice said:

Well Buford it may be quite a while. Many of those tenants facing university have long term leases and may of the landlords don't want the buildings to ever sell.
AggieBaseball06
AG
Buford T. Justice said:

I agree. The city is trying to overstep their bounds and decide what goes there instead of leaving it to the marketplace to decide.
Buford T. Justice
AG
Let me be clear, I am not rooting against the current proprietors. I'm just saying that whatever will be, will be.
woodiewood
ZoneClubber said:

There is a group of business owners and citizens seeking input and preservation of the Northgate district. More information on their Facebook page

https://www.facebook.com/keepnorthgatenorthgate?mibextid=ZbWKwL

Quote:

As highrises continue to go up and surround Northgate, it's vital we all come together to KEEP NORTHGATE, NORTHGATE! This historical gem dates back to the 1930's, and we must protect one of the oldest entertainment districts in Texas.

We need everyone to be active in this pursuit and attend the City of College Station Council meeting Thursday, October 24th at 6 pm. Big decisions will be made that will impact Northgate. (Conditional Use Permits)

Please share with business owners, patrons of Northgate, friends and family. Reach out to your councilmen and councilwomen and let them know Northgate needs to be protected for it's a large historical footprint in our community and all over the state of Texas. Can you imagine if Northgate didn't exist?

Business owners are the ones who are selling the properties to the national companies to build high-rises.

Follow the money.

tu ag
AG
If you could sell a 1/2 acre lot for many millions vs hang on to it and preserve "historical Northgate", I am betting everyone posting here would sell.

FYI - I hate the high rises and like Northgate as it was. Just saying that I understand why everyone is selling. It can create generational wealth.
Buford T. Justice
AG
There is always going to be a need for a bar district.
It just may not be where it has been all these years.
In my opinion, and if done correctly, Harvey Road could be redeveloped into a nice entertainment district. And it could be walkable and or bussed if the mall property were involved.
Tailgate88
AG
Buford T. Justice said:

There is always going to be a need for a bar district.
It just may not be where it has been all these years.
In my opinion, and if done correctly, Harvey Road could be redeveloped into a nice entertainment district. And it could be walkable and or bussed if the mall property were involved.

Thanks I really like the one we already have.
Buford T. Justice
AG
I've got no dog in the fight.
I haven't been to NG in over 15 years, nor do I own/rent any of the bars.
woodiewood
Northgate is probably being changed over the last decade or so as there must have been fifty bars and restaurants try to make it in the area and failed. I supect it's tough to make a go of it with rents, supplies and labor being so high when you basically have enough customers to pay the bills on Friday and Saturday of each week and also with it being dead as a door-nail during the summer months.
Brian Alg
ZoneClubber said:

There is a group of business owners and citizens
Who?
Brian Alg

Brazos Coalition for Responsible Government and Moderator Restraint
PS3D
Buford T. Justice said:

In my opinion, and if done correctly, Harvey Road could be redeveloped into a nice entertainment district.

That was kind of the idea years ago, with Rudy's, Sonic (with its unique green-and-brown color scheme), Kona Ranch Steakhouse (later home to Ozona Grill & Bar), and Johnny Carino's (now Anchor Bar), all connected via sidewalk along Wolf Pen Creek. There was also a plan to add more businesses along Holleman behind Cavender's Boot City.

Entertainment districts tend to be born, not made.
FlyRod
Is this a parody thread (specifically the OP)?
PS3D
FlyRod said:

The fundamental problem about "Northgate preservation" is that no buildings really worth saving have gone away (except arguably the Cafe Eccell building). The stuff that has been demolished have been old stand-alone apartment buildings, old houses, two banks, and a gas station.

The other problem is that what's actually worth preserving at Northgate has been ruined a long time ago...no one's considering what a classic Art Deco theater Shiner Park is covering up (if there's anything left of it).
Captn_Ag05
AG
I like the density of the mid/high rise buildings. Put students closer to campus where they can walk or bike to class. These students will also eat and drink at Northgate and then walk home rather than drive.
Red Pear Luke (BCS)
Sponsor
AG
IMO - I think we are going to see the rectangular piece of land from Northgate/Wellborn/Old Main up to Villa Maria is gonna be "revitalized" or transformed into a more urban and built up area. Not gonna happen overnight but in 20-years or so.

Just look what Bryan is doing with their midtown/golf course redevelopment and then the high rise and build up on Univeristy/wellborn.
ZoneClubber
AG
FlyRod said:

No, just thought it was interesting topic

I don't know who's all involved, but the business owners certainly want the city to not take away public parking areas.
Brian Alg
Are any of the people involved willing to disclose who they are?

Edit: Because if it really is a business consortium cynically trying to use "character of our community" collectivist talk to gain political power to keep the city in the game of providing sub-cost parking at the expense of taxpayers generally, that's worth knowing.
Brian Alg

Brazos Coalition for Responsible Government and Moderator Restraint
BCS-Ag
So what are they voting on Thursday related to conditional use permits? I thought it was about the surface lot behind the Chicken. To be fair, it's probably time for that to go vertical. The city can require what goes there to include parking and a much clearer rideshare pickup/dropoff. That lot is chaos at busy times.
EriktheRed
AG
here is the language on the agenda for Thursday night:

9.2. Public Hearing, presentation, discussion, and possible action regarding an ordinance amending
Appendix A, Unified Development Ordinance, Section 3.6 "Conditional Use Permits," Section
6.3.C "Use Table," and Section 9.2.C "Abandonment" of the Code of Ordinances of the City of
College Station, Texas, regarding conditional use permits, the abandonment of nonconforming
uses, and requiring conditional use permits for new and expanding bars, nightclubs, and taverns
in the NG-1 Core Northgate and NG-2 Transitional Northgate zoning districts.
Sponsors: Molly Hitchcock
Attachments: 1. Ordinance
2. Section 3.6 Conditional Use Permits redlines
3. Section 6.3 Use Table redlines
4. Section 9.2 Nonconforming Uses redlines
5. Northgate Zoning Boundaries

Agenda: https://opendoc.cstx.gov/DocArc/DocView.aspx?id=4232806&dbid=0&repo=DOCUMENT-SERVER
Tailgate88
AG
Can we get that translated to English?
woodiewood
I suspect if any of the property owners in the NG-1 Core Northgate and NG-2 Transitional Northgate zoning districts get a few million dollar offer, the result is, "SOLD."
Whiskey Before Breakfast
AG
Interesting how CS council put it deep on the agenda to discourage public attendees
EriktheRed
AG
Its actually the 2nd item on the agenda out of 7. There is just a HUGE consent agenda this meeting, but most of that will never be mentioned. I assume they willbpull a few of those to speak on, but not many.
BluHorseShu
AG
tu ag said:

If you could sell a 1/2 acre lot for many millions vs hang on to it and preserve "historical Northgate", I am betting everyone posting here would sell.

FYI - I hate the high rises and like Northgate as it was. Just saying that I understand why everyone is selling. It can create generational wealth.
I really really hate the high rises as well. Hope NG doesn't really go away but I hate seeing how the cityscape has changed. Don't want to start looking like Austin.
Tailgate88
AG
BluHorseShu said:

tu ag said:

I really really hate the high rises as well. Hope NG doesn't really go away but I hate seeing how the cityscape has changed. Don't want to start looking like Austin.
I don't mind them building them around the perimeter but c'mon - you're going to stick one right out the back door of the Chicken?
AggiePhil
AG
That entire swath along University will probably eventually be cleared in order to widen the roadway and install the double-decker overpass.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.