City of CS Budget Open House Tonite 6-8pm City Hall

1,732 Views | 18 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by Bob Yancy
Bob Yancy
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Tonite is one of several opportunities CS residents have to get questions answered, voice concerns and meet with staff on next year's proposed budget. Just FYI

Respectfully,

-yancy
EriktheRed
AG
will this be televised like the regular Council meetings?
maroon barchetta
Could you give more advanced notice for future meetings?
EriktheRed
AG
There is a City council meeting this Thursday, and here is the agenda. Have a look.

https://opendoc.cstx.gov/DocArc/DocView.aspx?id=3561406&dbid=0&repo=DOCUMENT-SERVER
maroon barchetta
I was asking about budget meetings, but thanks.
Stucco
You might be interested to follow CityOfCS on x, or put a Google alert on college station budget.

Also from KBTX https://www.kbtx.com/2024/07/09/college-station-city-council-takes-first-look-proposed-540-million-budget-fy25/
Quote:

City leaders say they are committed to a transparent budgeting process, starting with detailed discussions in budget workshops scheduled from July 15-17 at 11 a.m. in the Council Chambers. The proposed budget will be posted on the city's website on July 8. An open house for public input is set for July 22 at 6 p.m., followed by public hearings on July 25 and August 22. The council plans to adopt the budget on August 22, with the new fiscal year beginning on October 1.

maroon barchetta
It's a dog and pony show. They got a lot of public input on the Wellborn Annexation and did what they wanted anyway.

They
Do
Not
Care

History shows that they think they know best what to do with other people's money than do the people they took it from.

That is obvious by the respectful councilman doubling and tripling down on the Instagram prop.
EriktheRed
AG
Seeing as the budget is on the agenda for public hearing, and discussion/action by the council, I think it qualifies
Bob Yancy
The budget is not perfect. I'm not here to defend it. I'm here to defend your interests. I have some issues with it, but on balance, in my estimation, it's not a bad document. A lot of work went into it by staff. They propose. Council adjusts, or doesn't, and ultimately approves. Even then however, it's just the budget, not actuals. Each and every actual expenditure of consequence must ultimately be approved by council throughout the year as it approaches being incurred.

I posted the budget open house to make you aware. Thursday it is a regular agenda item. Later still in August there is another opportunity to be heard before it's finalized.

City hall is not hiding anything. Your city is not your federal govt, nor state. City govt, as Reagan said, is govt closest to you. Thusly, in my opinion, it is most accountable and best serves you, the bosses.

I'll do my best and make my case as 1 of 7. Sometimes I prevail, sometimes I fail. I was there tonite when we on council are not allowed to speak. Tonite was about listening. Thursday night I'll make a few cases again.

This is our system. I know many of y'all aren't happy. You have an opportunity to voice your opposition or support. And you don't have to get on a plane and fly to DC to do it. It's right here in the middle of town.

Had some great conversations tonite. Will keep fighting for what I think makes sense based on what you, my bosses tell me. So hopefully I'll see y'all Thursday night.

Respectfully,

-yancy
woodiewood
Bob Yancy said:

The budget is not perfect. I'm not here to defend it. I'm here to defend your interests. I have some issues with it, but on balance, in my estimation, it's not a bad document. A lot of work went into it by staff. They propose. Council adjusts, or doesn't, and ultimately approves. Even then however, it's just the budget, not actuals. Each and every actual expenditure of consequence must ultimately be approved by council throughout the year as it approaches being incurred.

I posted the budget open house to make you aware. Thursday it is a regular agenda item. Later still in August there is another opportunity to be heard before it's finalized.

City hall is not hiding anything. Your city is not your federal govt, nor state. City govt, as Reagan said, is govt closest to you. Thusly, in my opinion, it is most accountable and best serves you, the bosses.

I'll do my best and make my case as 1 of 7. Sometimes I prevail, sometimes I fail. I was there tonite when we on council are not allowed to speak. Tonite was about listening. Thursday night I'll make a few cases again.

This is our system. I know many of y'all aren't happy. You have an opportunity to voice your opposition or support. And you don't have to get on a plane and fly to DC to do it. It's right here in the middle of town.

Had some great conversations tonite. Will keep fighting for what I think makes sense based on what you, my bosses tell me. So hopefully I'll see y'all Thursday night.

Respectfully,

-yancy
I propose, to minimize the impact, to lower annually by 10% the amount of money transferred from the Utility Fund to the GF so that within a decade all monies paid by the citizens in their utility bill will either stay in the utility fund for current operating costs, put in a fund for future capital projects, or returned to the citizens in reduced rates.
Bob Yancy
woodiewood said:

Bob Yancy said:

Respectfully,

-yancy
I propose, to minimize the impact, to lower annually by 10% the amount of money transferred from the Utility Fund to the GF so that within a decade all monies paid by the citizens in their utility bill will either stay in the utility fund for current operating costs, put in a fund for future capital projects, or returned to the citizens in reduced rates.

I've reviewed but I'll look into the detailed history of utility transfers and how they're trending and get you an answer. In my mind the utilities, as long as they are priced fairly for ratepayers, act as an investment whose profits are used to ease pressures on the tax rate. I feel certain the property tax rate would not be $.51 were it not for utilities.

An exercise that might give context is to look at the list of capital projects this year. Ask yourself how many are discretionary. Then, of those that ARE discretionary, how many of those were approved by the voters in the last bond election. Then tally the %. The overwhelming majority are traffic related and it's a long list. Strategically, we're trying to get ahead of "trains on time" projects resulting from massive growth.

I think the use of the city's utilities to ease pressure on your property tax rate is a sound strategy. I'll disagree with that policy the second the utility's reliability and cost to the ratepayer suffer.

I have to step into a meeting and I'm slammed today, but I'll leave with a question:

If a for profit utility would benefit stockholders in its profits, what's wrong with municipally owned utilities operating margin being used to benefit taxpayers?

No wrong answer I just want yalls thoughts. Gotta go-

Respectfully,

-yancy
maroon barchetta
Quote:

If a for profit utility would benefit stockholders in its profits, what's wrong with municipally owned utilities operating margin being used to benefit taxpayers?

Nothing is wrong with it if council is fully transparent and not blowing money on vanity projects and trying to act like big players in the real estate market, and failing at it. Again. And again. And again.
Stucco
It is not a coincidence that the budget matches the massively increased revenue at the current rate. Council didn't direct staff to develop alternate proposals in either direction, or if they did, we never saw them. I am curious about what direction the Council gave staff, if any.

We need a process/ordinance that automatically adjusts the new tax rate to the no-new-revenue rate (adjusted for inflation and population growth). Increases to that default rate should require a popular vote.
Stucco
woodiewood said:

I think it won't matter unless it is accompanied by matching spending reductions, or the tax rate just goes up to compensate.

Bob Yancy said:

The monopoly.

powertochoose.org

But on the issue, the artificially high utility rates burden heavy utility users, as opposed to valuable property owners. That is likely a wash to an average taxpayer, but data would be interesting. It is also a consumption tax, which should reduce utility usage overall and help us to plan better for infrastructure. The part I dislike is the shell game. It should appear on the utility bill as a city tax, not be hidden in the rates. Taken a step further, force the tax on any provider that wants in, then deregulate and compete.
GSS
What is the likelhood of the Brazos Transit District request for $340,000 being included in the CS budget?
If so, will there be any accountability linked to the expenditure?
woodiewood
I"f a for profit utility would benefit stockholders in its profits, what's wrong with municipally owned utilities operating margin being used to benefit taxpayers?"

Nothing, but does it make sense to transfer Utility profits to the General Fund and then raise Utility rates because there is need for $16,000,000 to drill new wells. Why not save a portion of the "profits" in a Utility fund in order to address future Capital projects like new wells rather than raising utiity rates?

Not you, because you weren't here, but it appears that the exercise has been to transfer Ut funds to the GF in order to cover expenses that the public may not agree with and then go to the public at times with pleas for higher utility rates in order to pay for capital projects as now to drill new wells that with our growth will be needed. Historically disingenuous at best?
nwspmp
Stucco said:

Bob Yancy said:

The monopoly.

powertochoose.org

But on the issue, the artificially high utility rates burden heavy utility users, as opposed to valuable property owners. That is likely a wash to an average taxpayer, but data would be interesting. It is also a consumption tax, which should reduce utility usage overall and help us to plan better for infrastructure. The part I dislike is the shell game. It should appear on the utility bill as a city tax, not be hidden in the rates. Taken a step further, force the tax on any provider that wants in, then deregulate and compete.

If the utility rates were higher, I'd agree, but for the most part our utility rates are somewhat competitive with open market areas as well.

Under BTU, my electric section of my bill (monthly meter fee, energy and delivery costs and regulatory recoup costs) has my almost 3600kWh consumption at $389. CSU, based on their rates and equivalent fees would have my electricity cost at $496. The cheapest power plan on PowertoChoose for Houston ZIP 77080 (picked a random one) would have my bill at $441. Cheapest in Waco 76712 would be $452. Arlington, TX would match Waco as they also have the same plan for the lowest cost. So, CS a bit higher than the lowest market participants, at least for my power consumption levels.

Those power plans would also potentially have market adjustments for price during the contract with a large contract termination fee. Some of the open plans have free nights or weekends or a certain number of days/month, and there could be ways to game those systems, but on the whole reliable power with the added restraint on the utility to have to go to council to get rate increases is something I do value. Closer to 1000 kWh/month, and there are plans that could be cheaper, definitely.

According to the PUCT, there is no area in Texas where, on average, I could have an all-in energy rate lower than what I'd get through CSU and certainly not what I do get with BTU.

https://ftp.puc.texas.gov/public/puct-info/industry/electric/rates/RESrate/rate23/Dec23Rates.pdf

Now, could I find something cheaper than CSU; yes, but with some caveats. I have not found one on the open market in Texas that would be cheaper for my power consumption.
Bob Yancy
GSS said:

What is the likelhood of the Brazos Transit District request for $340,000 being included in the CS budget?
If so, will there be any accountability linked to the expenditure?

I voted against it but my colleagues disagreed and I respect the majority. My concern is it's going to be a slippery slope and the funding requests will only increase over time.

Respectfully submitted,

-yancy
Bob Yancy
nwspmp said:

Stucco said:

Bob Yancy said:

The monopoly.

powertochoose.org

If the utility rates were higher, I'd agree, but for the most part our utility rates are somewhat competitive with open market areas as well.

Under BTU, my electric section of my bill (monthly meter fee, energy and delivery costs and regulatory recoup costs) has my almost 3600kWh consumption at $389. CSU, based on their rates and equivalent fees would have my electricity cost at $496. The cheapest power plan on PowertoChoose for Houston ZIP 77080 (picked a random one) would have my bill at $441. Cheapest in Waco 76712 would be $452. Arlington, TX would match Waco as they also have the same plan for the lowest cost. So, CS a bit higher than the lowest market participants, at least for my power consumption levels.

Those power plans would also potentially have market adjustments for price during the contract with a large contract termination fee. Some of the open plans have free nights or weekends or a certain number of days/month, and there could be ways to game those systems, but on the whole reliable power with the added restraint on the utility to have to go to council to get rate increases is something I do value. Closer to 1000 kWh/month, and there are plans that could be cheaper, definitely.

According to the PUCT, there is no area in Texas where, on average, I could have an all-in energy rate lower than what I'd get through CSU and certainly not what I do get with BTU.

https://ftp.puc.texas.gov/public/puct-info/industry/electric/rates/RESrate/rate23/Dec23Rates.pdf

Now, could I find something cheaper than CSU; yes, but with some caveats. I have not found one on the open market in Texas that would be cheaper for my power consumption.

Agreed.

In my estimation, BTU has done a hell of a job and the citizens of Bryan should be very proud of that asset. I'm equally proud of CSU they run a tight shop.

The difference between the two is BTU generates power and CSU has to purchase it on the wholesale market and sell what we distribute.

Costs to generate your own have become unfathomably enormous. In fact unless you are extremely careful and strategic it's simply become cost prohibitive. The investments BTU made decades ago and the work since have proven strategically effective for them and as a result the CoB has one hell of an asset.

90% of Muni Owned Utilities (MOU's) are like the City of College Station's without power generation. Despite this handicap, our reliability and efficiency are very high and it's a great enterprise. I just so wish we had generation and my colleagues and staff know how I feel.

Respectfully,

-yancy
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.