Brazos Valley Scenic Drives?

2,296 Views | 13 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by XMinus1
Animal Eight 84
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I still enjoy a leisurely drive through the country looking at rolling pasture land and fat cows grazing in rural Texas.

What are you favorite drives close to BCS?

Thought I'd share a few
- FM 3090 through Grimes County. Close by, twisty and curvy, just gorgeous views for this area. Still amazes me how small Anderson is, being the county seat.
-FM 390 Independence to Burton
- Bellville to Chappell Hill to Washington via FM 1456, FM1371, FM 1155
-Morgan Road between 1179 and Old Reliance. Short road. But at least one nice rolling view.
-FM974 & on down Tabor Road. Pastoral Brazos County. Go on a TH, F, Saturday at lunch and get some ribs & brisket at Blue Moon BBQ.

doubledog
105 Navasota to Brenham. 159 Millikan to 105. 50 Brenham to 21 to Bryan.
woodiewood
The drive from Bryan out Elmo Weedon and Cobb to Grassbur and eastward down Long Trussel Road across the Navasota River to 244 is a slow but nice drive through the country. Most everyone doesn't even know that bridge exists.

I drive about 30,000 miles a year in seven counties and often take the back roads to just see what's down the road. You see a lot of old buildings and historical markets that are neat to see.

Many of the rural drives are better depending on the season of the year with Sunflower acreage, bluebonnets, cotton fields, wildflowers, etc.

UmustBKidding
159 to 105 is currently a disaster with construction. 105 from navasota to brenham has been problematic with construction backing up traffic with the paving on the west side of navasota by the airport. The rest is the typical indy 500 speed where you are run over going a speed you can see anything. I have been traveling between CS and Goliad almost weekly and almost every route is being optimized causing delays, 105, 159, 249 6, 77, Maybe watch drive tx to see what mayhem is in progress on suggested routes.
Smittyfubar
AG
390 from Independence to Burton.
The Brazos Kid
woodiewood said:

The drive from Bryan out Elmo Weedon and Cobb to Grassbur and eastward down Long Trussel Road across the Navasota River to 244 is a slow but nice drive through the country. Most everyone doesn't even know that bridge exists.

I drive about 30,000 miles a year in seven counties and often take the back roads to just see what's down the road. You see a lot of old buildings and historical markets that are neat to see.

Many of the rural drives are better depending on the season of the year with Sunflower acreage, bluebonnets, cotton fields, wildflowers, etc.

Lived here 21 years and never went down Long Trussel Rd til last week. Took a few pics around there on out to 244 with my old 4x5 camera

Tailgate88
AG
UmustBKidding said:

159 to 105 is currently a disaster with construction. 105 from navasota to brenham has been problematic with construction backing up traffic with the paving on the west side of navasota by the airport. The rest is the typical indy 500 speed where you are run over going a speed you can see anything. I have been traveling between CS and Goliad almost weekly and almost every route is being optimized causing delays, 105, 159, 249 6, 77, Maybe watch drive tx to see what mayhem is in progress on suggested routes.

Ahhhh memories.
Average Joe
AG
I grew up on Long Trussel for 16 years. Loved riding 4 wheelers, dirt bikes, and horses up and down it. Although there are a few more houses and concrete than when I was growing up, it's still a very beautiful area.
woodiewood
Tailgate88 said:

UmustBKidding said:

Ahhhh memories.
I go to Brenham once or twice a week and seldom do I go through Nav to get there. It's Hwy 50 to 105 for me if I am going to Brenham proper. If I am going on the west side of town or west to Round Top, Giddings, or La Grange, I go Somerville to 390 and west to 290.

They have been working on 105 on the west side of Nav for years.
Buford T. Justice
AG
It's not in Brazos County, but turning right off of 21, headed toward Lexington, then on to 290 is a scenic drive. Haven't done it in 20 years.
AgProgrammer
AG
1774 from Anderson to Plantersville has the rolling hills you are asking for.

For an added bonus, split off of 1774 onto 2445 and drive out by the abandoned Bluebonnet Estates and then continue on down 304 through Stoneham.
doubledog
UmustBKidding said:

105 NV to the river is under construction and Houston bikers love to take this ride to Brenham, but there are speeders on any highway.

doubledog
woodiewood said:

Tailgate88 said:

UmustBKidding said:

Ahhhh memories.
I go to Brenham once or twice a week and seldom do I go through Nav to get there. It's Hwy 50 to 105 for me if I am going to Brenham proper. If I am going on the west side of town or west to Round Top, Giddings, or La Grange, I go Somerville to 390 and west to 290.

They have been working on 105 on the west side of Nav for years.
50 is the long way if your destination/departure is SoCS.

XMinus1
AG
We went cruising on Long Trussell when there were the old covered wooden bridges (1970's). Good times!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.