Best ice cream cake OR cheesecake in town

2,118 Views | 18 Replies | Last: 3 mo ago by Tim Weaver
Tim Weaver
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Need either a cheesecake or an ice cream cake for a birthday. Who's got a good 'un?
9dag
AG
Honestly never had a bad cheesecake, but honestly the ice cream cakes at HEB or Kroger are good.

Don't want to steer you away from local business at all, because they are likely better and fresher, but I'll let someone else on the board chime in to give me a hand there. ( wife buys all the sweets and I just say yes ma'am )
It is time to put the chairs in the wagon
AggiePhil
AG
Frozen Cheesecake Factory cakes from Target.
MiMi
S
Bubbie's Kolache Kitchen and Bakery
trouble
AG
Pappy's bakery in Calvert has the absolute best cheesecake

I like the ice cream cakes from DQ
woodometer
AG
deleted
histag10
AG
Pappys if you are up for a drive.

Otherwise, you can buy a whole cheesecake from Saltgrass (not cheap), and they are delicious. They make them in housem.

For an ice cream cake- Baskin Robbins? I think DQ also does them if you don't want grocery store.

As far as finding a local baker for these- you really won't. They have to be made in a commercial kitchen, and cannot be sold by cottage bakers (thank your state reps for that one- yes I'm still bitter about it).
maroon barchetta
Here you go.

This song is now in your head forever.

trouble
AG
Not bitter at all over here either. Even if I make an amazing cheesecake
maroon barchetta
But what if a local cottage baker just didn't advertise and nobody said anything and a "friend" asked them to make a cake and then left them an "early birthday card" with cash inside.

Or an Amazon or HEB card! No tax implications there!

That would be ok, right?
trouble
AG
Tax isn't the problem. As a cottage baker, I don't make anything that requires tax. A cheesecake wouldn't either.

The problem comes when you invite your annoying neighbor over and they ask where you got it and someone tells them. They call the health department claiming they got sick and now I'm dealing with a health inspector wanting to see my kitchen. My kitchen is clean but the entire episode is a pain to deal with.

There are plenty of folks who do it but histag and I but follow the law.
maroon barchetta
I've been in enough commercial kitchens to know that I trust the cleanliness of your home kitchen more.
histag10
AG
trouble said:

Tax isn't the problem. As a cottage baker, I don't make anything that requires tax. A cheesecake wouldn't either.

The problem comes when you invite your annoying neighbor over and they ask where you got it and someone tells them. They call the health department claiming they got sick and now I'm dealing with a health inspector wanting to see my kitchen. My kitchen is clean but the entire episode is a pain to deal with.

There are plenty of folks who do it but histag and I but follow the law.

And not just dealing with the health inspector, but also the fine for selling an item you aren't legally able to sell and the possibility of being shut down for violating state law.

Again- thank your bleeding heart state reps for their **** show last legislative session.
TyDog44
I've always wondered if a Cheesecake Factory would make it here....my guess is yes, if Century Square or the real mall ever got more traction.
Rduck
Marfa has a great seasonal cheesecake right now
Zackdh9
AG
maybe its a coincidence, but the best cheesecakes in town are at 1860, 1541, and (seasonally) the sopapilla chzcake at 1775. I'm not kidding. They're great.
Zackdh9
AG
For ice cream, I like Napa flats. (gelato)
histag10
AG
Zackdh9 said:

For ice cream, I like Napa flats. (gelato)

Yeah, but it's not an ice cream cake. But their gelato is great
Tim Weaver
We ended up getting a plain cheesecake from Bubbies. VERY good!

We made a caramel sauce to go on it. They offer a turtle flavor, but we opted for just a simple caramel drizzle. We also got some kolaches when we ordered the cake. Those were really good too, and more authentic than K-Rolfs.

Bubbies is legit. Also not too expensive.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.