Tiger Woods' PopStroke Groundbreaking Held

2,416 Views | 22 Replies | Last: 18 days ago by Sub4
Bob Yancy
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Just came from the groundbreaking for PopStroke where Chancellor Sharp, Mayor Pro Temp Dennis Maloney and corporate representatives officially turned dirt on the project. Construction fence is up and dirt work has begun. It's supposed to come up pretty fast now. Very exciting things happening in this area, quickly becoming quite the "entertainment district." Stay tuned for more!

Have a great day!

jja79
AG
It's going to have mountains and palm trees. I like it.
BluHorseShu
AG
jja79 said:

That's what I'm excited about. I look forward to just going to sit there and watch the sun set behind the mountains. We just don't currently have that view...but its much needed.
bobinator
AG
I can't wait for this to open, we had a great time at the one in Katy.
FamousAgg
Bryan is launching the ball 300 yards meanwhile CS is putting

It's just a jokeā€¦ we wouldn't have a community like this without both cities being here
milner79
BluHorseShu said:

jja79 said:

That's what I'm excited about. I look forward to just going to sit there and watch the sun set behind the mountains. We just don't currently have that view...but its much needed.
They must be building it in front of Mt. Aggie.
Captn_Ag05
AG
Bob Yancy said:

Just came from the groundbreaking for PopStroke where Chancellor Sharp, Mayor Pro Temp Dennis Maloney and corporate representatives officially turned dirt on the project. Construction fence is up and dirt work has begun. It's supposed to come up pretty fast now. Very exciting things happening in this area, quickly becoming quite the "entertainment district." Stay tuned for more!

Give us a nugget
war hymn aggie
AG
where was Tiger in the "groundbreaking"?

Was that Tom Turbiville in that pic?

If I remember right, he was the original owner of Putt-Putt (now a bicycle shop) when it 1st opened opened in the late 80's-early 90's.

Anyone old enough to remember the original mini golf course on the B-CS border on Texas Ave?
AggiePirate
AG
We need someone to make a putt putt on their land somewhere.
Bob Yancy
AggiePirate said:

We need someone to make a putt putt on their land somewhere.

We have someone. His name is Tiger Woods and he's investing in land and improvements right here in our city to build a putt putt on steroids! :-)

Happy Friday!!!
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
This is a great concept
Broncos
Tell 'em, Bob!
maroon barchetta
The city seems awfully excited about a new business being built on state property.
texAZtea
AG
I'm confused about why my comment got scrubbed and others stayed on. I'm not trying to pick fights with anyone, I was just voicing my opinion that many of the newer entertainment options in the area are coming with prices higher than I can regularly afford.

I didn't even say I thought this was a bad idea. I didn't try to argue with the councilman, like others on other threads have done with significantly less respect than what I have shown here.
Bob Yancy
texAZtea said:

I'm confused about why my comment got scrubbed and others stayed on. I'm not trying to pick fights with anyone, I was just voicing my opinion that many of the newer entertainment options in the area are coming with prices higher than I can regularly afford.

I didn't even say I thought this was a bad idea. I didn't try to argue with the councilman, like others on other threads have done with significantly less respect than what I have shown here.

No one has to pull any punches with me. I've got a thick skin. Comes with the office. I get a little agitated sometimes but shouldn't let it show. Always disappointed in myself when I do. I would offer perhaps we could all move the policy needle a little more with unfettered but civil and respectful debate.

In either event, have a great weekend!
texAZtea
AG
Bob Yancy said:

texAZtea said:

No one has to pull any punches with me. I've got a thick skin. Comes with the office. I get a little agitated sometimes but shouldn't let it show. Always disappointed in myself when I do. I would offer perhaps we could all move the policy needle a little more with unfettered but civil and respectful debate.

In either event, have a great weekend!
Sorry, that was not directed at you. I respect the fact that you put yourself on the line on this forum often, and you've shown more restraint that I would in your situation. I have no punches to throw in your direction.

I was confused why my previous comments about the prices of the food where removed from this thread. I know you don't have control over the thread or the price of food at the venue.

I hope your weekend is great as well!
Bob Yancy
maroon barchetta said:

The city seems awfully excited about a new business being built on state property.

I personally am excited because, first and foremost this is a high quality high profile entertainment option which we need more of, in my opinion. Wouldn't matter if it was in Bryan or on College Station property. Sales tax and property tax on the improvements will be paid, which helps a bit with public safety and other mission critical functions of your city govt. Should they spend $3,000,000 on the building, the improvements would run about $15,000 a year property tax for the city. If the parcel of land would've cost roughly the same, then $15k additional is what the city would've otherwise received.

Not really about the money, though. It's about defeating the age old axiom, "I love being an Aggie and I love Aggieland, but there's nothing to do here." I want to fix that! Let's foster a business environment that incentivizes private investment and job creating businesses.

I'm grateful Texas A&M and PopStroke made the decision they did!
maroon barchetta
How is the city able to collect tax on a business on state property?

I'm guessing that's in the details of the P3 agreement?
Sub4
AG
Since its a ground lease it will be taxed like any other commercial land that's publically owned. For-profit uses on public land is still taxed like normal. Century square and the Brookshire Brothers are taxed like normal commercial properties if you look at Brazos Tax.

Good for the City because they're able to tax something that wasn't previously taxable.
Bob Yancy
maroon barchetta said:

How is the city able to collect tax on a business on state property?

I'm guessing that's in the details of the P3 agreement?

I believe it's just the cost of any private sector improvements on a state property and not the land value itself. No P3 required. Weird gray area of state law. Pretty sure about that but it's been a minute. Checking now. If different I'll edit and correct.

Respectfully,
Sub4
AG
its a gray area if the private group doesn't control the land and is only leasing space in a building on a public land piece. But in popstroke's case it'll be straight forward and the Land's appraised value should be taxed like normal.
DonHenley
AG
Where exactly is this going? Century Sq?
Sub4
AG
DonHenley said:

Where exactly is this going? Century Sq?
Part of the land In-between South College and Ball street, across the street from Harry's. But not on the corner with University. A little off to the side of century square
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.