Pergola on driveway

1,321 Views | 10 Replies | Last: 19 days ago by UmustBKidding
purplehayes
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Would the city of College Station care if I built a pergola (free standing-not attached to the house) over the driveway close to my garage door? I need it for shade and the wife doesn't really dig the shade sail idea…. Is this something that I would have to get a permit for since it won't be attached to the house? Can't find anything specific on the City of College Station Website. TIA
BCSWguru
if you ask, they will find a way to make you pay them for it.
purplehayes
That's why I don't plan on asking! No HOA to bother with either…
spike427
AG
Will it function kind of like a carport? You might find your answer on this page: https://www.cstx.gov/departments___city_hall/pds/building/residential_building

I'm sure you could get an answer if you called them!
gus1390
AG
There are generally "set back" ordinances that regulate vertical improvements. Worth your time to investigate rather than pay for it and then potentially have to remove or demolish.
JP76
What neighborhood ?

Most cs setbacks are between 25-40 feet

You can find this information on the survey for your house.

Technically they are suppose to be permitted and even require hurricane brackets to pass inspection. Being in the front you are pushing your luck especially if there is a karen neighbor around.
woodometer
AG
I went to the city website. Raise your hand if you get a permit when you replace your water heater.
mason12
AG
Would it affect your property appraisal for taxes?
BQ_90
AG
woodometer said:

I went to the city website. Raise your hand if you get a permit when you replace your water heater.

Hand raised. Only because my plumber said to do the job they had to get one. So I guess they got the permit
JP76
It can when the satellite image flags a change from the previous year of roof area on the lot.
This triggers a field audit and a nice person from bcad shows up and starts asking questions and measuring the new structure.
UmustBKidding
I recommend you build it with wheels and a hitch. Or build on top a cheap utility trailer. Had a friend build a 4h animal barn on one and bcad tried to add to his bill so he towed it away and protested it was a trailer. They took it off the bill.
We bought a prefab carport and covered the ends with osb and chicken wire for my daughter 4h turkeys. Bcad said $27000 metal building, did not catch for 3 years.

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.