The Most Expensive Campaign in Brazos County History?

1,760 Views | 8 Replies | Last: 24 days ago by maroon barchetta
officerfred
How long do you want to ignore this user?
A review of the Texas Ethics website shows that over 30 people have donated more than $1,000 each to Bentley Nettles, resulting in a well-funded campaign that has spent over 6 figures on a local county commissioner race.

This appears to be the highest amount of money spent on a campaign in Brazos County history.

Nettles has spent eight times more than his competitor, Steve Aldrich and most of the current county commissioners are among Nettles' contributors.

It seems that Steve Aldrich has disrupted the status quo.

[Please reply on the thread that has this discussion that is already on the board. Thank you. -Staff]
BCSWguru
with big donations comes big promises to pay them back. at our expense.
Red Pear Luke (BCS)
Sponsor
AG
What's the group think of Aldrich vs Nettles?
maroon barchetta
Aldrich went to great lengths to make sure the judge and commissioners could not reach a quorum to have a vote that could have increased taxes and/or spending (i forget the details).

It upset the judge and all but one other commissioner. That tells me what I need to know. He gets my vote.

Mr. Nettles did come knock on my door last week or week before to introduce himself and ask for my vote and remind me of early voting. I thanked him.
Doug Funny
When I donate to political candidates there is never an expectation of payback. Nor that I will agree with all of their actions in office.
There is an expectation they will uphold their promised values with integrity and be respectful of constituents.
I financially support them because I think they will positively impact governance. Money helps them share their message to do so with voters.
Hittag1492
AG
Doug Funny said:

When I donate to political candidates there is never an expectation of payback. Nor that I will agree with all of their actions in office.
There is an expectation they will uphold their promised values with integrity and be respectful of constituents.
I financially support them because I think they will positively impact governance. Money helps them share their message to do so with voters.

Very noble of you and that is a good thing and much appreciated. Unfortunately, that is not always-I would say very rarely on the high end donations-the case. All of those on the Nettles bandwagon are in for a very rude awakening if he does win. Aldrich has his issues, but Nettles will be a Peters clone. Exactly what we do not need. My opinion only. If anyone really believes that the most spending ever in a BV campaign is a GOOD thing for the general public in the county-not much anyone could say to convince you of the reality of politics anyway.
Tailgate88
AG
https://texags.com/forums/35/topics/3439119
Old Army63
Not sure this is the most expensive race in BV history, Didn't Ford spend a lot of money? I guess the cost of everything has gone up even campaigning.

Where is Aldrich's campaign report? Shouldn't he have filed his also? Isn't that an ethics violation?

Why is it Aldrich can't raise money? Why idoes Aldrich not have any endorsements from party, business or community leaders? Every time Aldrich attends an event he is announced as an elected official. This has been going on for over 20 years. How else is Nettles supposed to get his message out except by raising money and spending it?

On KBTX interview, Nettles said Aldrich has made himself the most ineffective commissioner in Brazos County History! Maybe Aldrich has alienated all those people and that's why they are endorsing Nettles! In August Aldrich issued a personal press release calling the other commissioners names! Doesn't it make sense they would donate to anyone running against Aldrich after he personally attacked them?

One point Nettles made was you have to get 3 votes to get anything done. Even with Brown on the commission, that's only 2. Nothing is going to get done for PCT 1 while Aldrich is there. Oh they can shut down the county government again, but do we really need the Washington DC drama and nonsense here?

maroon barchetta
And to answer your last question, we do need that drama when it's going to keep the tax-and-spend people from taxing us more or spending more.

Aldrich wants to get stuff done. Not at the risk of taxing the people more.

This ain't the CoCS.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.