DR Horton Quality Issues Media Coverage

3,434 Views | 19 Replies | Last: 19 days ago by Garage Door Pro
Reload84
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Check out coverage of folks having construction quality issues with DR Horton homes. What happens when the whole neighborhood has issues?

https://mishtalk.com/economics/americas-homebuilder-d-r-horton-homes-falling-apart-in-months/
ukbb2003
I'm shocked.
legalbird
I would buy a trailer house before a horton build
woodiewood
It's not just Horton homes. I have seen some horrific framing and other construction on homes in our area of some very reputable builders. It all about the care of the workers who often don't give a crap about quality and doing it the right way and about the level of oversight by the supers.
91_Aggie
AG
How do people not just know this just by looking at those things?
to spend that much money on those homes and not do any kind of research... smh.
turfman80
AG
As fast as some of these B/CS neighborhoods are built up, I would have a house thoroughly and carefully checked out before purchasing. Buyer beware.
bcstx06
Would this also mean that building inspectors aren't doing their job?
UhOhNoAgTag
A friend's parents bought in Midtown. They've not had any issues with their house. Though wagons are circling the developers on both the residential and commercial sides for community amenities that were promised and not yet delivered.

Residential developer is same as Castlegate II and that fiasco.
Red Pear Luke (BCS)
Sponsor
AG
bcstx06 said:

You mean city code inspectors?
Fleen
Red Pear Luke (BCS) said:

bcstx06 said:

You mean city code inspectors?
The one's I've had on site here in CS are pretty thorough...
Sweet Kitten Feet
S
Hey a pre-drywall inspection if you are building new.
CN
My parents were going to buy one last year in midtown as a rental property. I wasn't involved except to do a walk through when my parents couldn't be there and found a lot of issues like a weird dip in the floor in a couple of corners, bathroom faucets splattering water on you because of the angle of the faucet and the shape of the bowl, flower beds with no edging or pavers to prevent Bermuda grass from growing in, etc. It was definitely not worth what they were asking. I later found out about their reputation from here and it pretty much lined up with what I saw. When my parents finally did their follow up walkthrough, my dad pointed out a bunch of flaws including a crack in the countertop and the guy that did the walkthrough refused to replace the countertop. My dad ultimately told him that the house was trailer park quality. My parents refused to follow through with the sale and lost their deposit.
LOYAL AG
AG
I thought this would be about DR Horton building to code and that really not being a selling point but that article is bad. One of the embedded videos shows the top of a brick wall at the peak of a gable rocking back and forth and when they go into the attic the inspector finds that most of the framing is not nailed to any particular parts of the frame. No structural integrity at all. Feels like a class action suit coming that ends of bankruptcy for Horton. Hard to shake this kind of reputation once it sets in.
A fearful society is a compliant society. That's why Democrats and criminals prefer their victims to be unarmed. Gun Control is not about guns, it's about control.
gettingitdone
Reload84 said:

Check out coverage of folks having construction quality issues with DR Horton homes. What happens when the whole neighborhood has issues?

https://mishtalk.com/economics/americas-homebuilder-d-r-horton-homes-falling-apart-in-months/
This is nothing new. This has been going on for years, yet people continue to buy homes from them
Txmoe
AG
Where is Horton building in this community? Are they the new Stylecraft?
ElephantRider
AG
Txmoe said:

Where is Horton building in this community? Are they the new Stylecraft?
They're building in Wellborn Settlement right now, along with Oakwood
KaneIsAble
AG
nm - poster above me beat me to it.
MarineBQ04
AG
also midtown and southern pointe
tu ag
AG
Southern Pointe
Midtown
Wellborn Settlement
Pleasant Hill (Bryan)

They have a terrible reputation everywhere they build.

Stylecraft is a step above. But the reality is that all tract homebuilders are going to have some bad builds. DR Horton is the worst of the bunch, from reviews.
Many folks just can afford to own a new home, in a decent neighborhood, without tract housing. So they continue to find customers. As housing continues to go up, I am guessing they will only continue to grow.
Garage Door Pro
I can't speak to other spec builders in those areas, but if I was to buy in that area, Kaleo Homes would be where I was looking.

I say this maybe being a little bias as they use us in the process of new homes. When Fred with Kaleo contacted us, he was unhappy with his current supplier. We did a walk thru one of the houses already built(this was several years ago), I was able to point out several differences between how they did it, and how we do it. This is to include using a industry standard door mounted to IDA(international door association) recommendations.

Kaleo is the only one i know of using an industry standard door in that area mounted to IDA specs.

I say this to say, if Kaleo is taking those extra steps you don't usually see to take care of you, imagine how well
They will take care of you during the buying process.

Just to note: This is not a paid endorsement(lol), just want to give credit to a builder taking care of his customers when no one is looking.
Chris Symons AGD
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.